Old 05-04-2003, 11:56 AM
Kay Easton

Default Ground elder & plants to grow with it

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

It would be extremely interesting to see a botanical/horticultural book
on weed issues in the UK, describing the circumstances under which
particular species are likely to be a pest. There is a lot more to
this topic than most people realise.

There was a mini-thread in urg a few years ago on what 'weeds' people
had most trouble with. It's not just native species, of course, it's
also the invasive introductions (himalayan balsam, japanese knowtweed,
Rhododendron ponticum) and even the more robust garden plants - Sacha
has laid herself open to us N gardeners by expressing a desire for
Alchemilla mollis. And od other gardens uproot wholesale aquilegia and
Malva moschata?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 05-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

It would be extremely interesting to see a botanical/horticultural book
on weed issues in the UK, describing the circumstances under which
particular species are likely to be a pest. There is a lot more to
this topic than most people realise.

There was a mini-thread in urg a few years ago on what 'weeds' people
had most trouble with. It's not just native species, of course, it's
also the invasive introductions (himalayan balsam, japanese knowtweed,
Rhododendron ponticum) and even the more robust garden plants - Sacha
has laid herself open to us N gardeners by expressing a desire for
Alchemilla mollis. And od other gardens uproot wholesale aquilegia and
Malva moschata?

Yes, it's a hardy perennial!

Some, like R. ponticum, are well-known to be condition-specific; others
probably are, but the details are less clear.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Hussein M.

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 09:19:28 GMT, Martin Brown
wrotc:

This is why the little pink one is called field bindweed and the large
white one hedge bindweed - the latter will not survive long in fields.

Both would be nice plants if they weren't invasive. I grow their more
colourful tropical cousins intentionally.

I think it was last year that I picked up from the nearby Victorian
Gardens (honesty box set-up) a couple of plants tagged in their
whimsical way "blue convolvulus". Having had past battles with hedge
bindweed (and won), I was a little nervous of introducing another
convolvulus. However so far it seems very well behaved, tidy and the
above ground foliage and flowers seems to do the sprawling and the
roots not so much. I know exactly where they are and they get a degree
of attentiveness because the flowers are so pretty. Even so I will
probably remove any seedlings which emerge in their vicinity looking
like convolvulus. I suppose I should try and identify it more
precisely at some point.

Just had a go. They could be mauritanicus or althaeoides. I won't
know for sure until it flowers again.

On the subject of pretty little plants I am currently marvelling at
a recently purchased Anemone apenina albiflora. I have also
transferred some A. nemorosa seeds out of the deep freeze and into the
cold frame. Can it be invasive?

Hussein
Grow a little garden
Old 06-04-2003, 05:33 PM
Chris Lee

"Kay Easton" a écrit dans le message de news:
In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

It would be extremely interesting to see a botanical/horticultural book
on weed issues in the UK, describing the circumstances under which
particular species are likely to be a pest. There is a lot more to
this topic than most people realise.

There was a mini-thread in urg a few years ago on what 'weeds' people
had most trouble with. It's not just native species, of course, it's
also the invasive introductions (himalayan balsam, japanese knowtweed,
Rhododendron ponticum) and even the more robust garden plants - Sacha
has laid herself open to us N gardeners by expressing a desire for
Alchemilla mollis. And od other gardens uproot wholesale aquilegia and
Malva moschata?

Aquilegia will never be a weed in our garden, but not because of the soil -
a little highly choosy caterpillar eats it to the ground. I should mention
that the climate just south of Paris is nearly but not quite OT.

Regards

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 07-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Rhiannon Macfie Miller

It was a dark and stormy night, and as the people of uk.rec.gardening
huddled around the fire, Martin Brown told them this story:

Most things that can grow and ignore it are shrubs, but ISTR one of the marigold
family produces its own herbicide and is supposed to be able to take the stuff on
and win. I've not tried it myself.

According to
http://www.e-garden.co.uk/index.asp?...&categoryID=70
Mexican marigold keeps it at bay. Though it also says that
it's ugly and smells awful, so I might just stick with the
ground elder.

(My trouble is that it comes in from next door (the single
one of our six immediate neighbours who does nothing with
their garden) and so I can never get rid of it completely.)

Rhiannon

Old 07-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Martin Brown

Rhiannon Macfie Miller wrote:

It was a dark and stormy night, and as the people of uk.rec.gardening
huddled around the fire, Martin Brown told them this story:

Most things that can grow and ignore it are shrubs, but ISTR one of the marigold
family produces its own herbicide and is supposed to be able to take the stuff on
and win. I've not tried it myself.

According to
http://www.e-garden.co.uk/index.asp?...&categoryID=70
Mexican marigold keeps it at bay. Though it also says that
it's ugly and smells awful, so I might just stick with the
ground elder.

(My trouble is that it comes in from next door (the single
one of our six immediate neighbours who does nothing with
their garden) and so I can never get rid of it completely.)

It is fairly shallow rooted so you can put 12" slates into the soil down the boundary
line and pretty much prevent further ingress. I have never really had much bother with
it. Just spot weed new leaves as they appear and never let it set seed. You need
patience to exhaust the extensive stored energy in the roots. That is why a combination
of chemical attack and digging out works so well. YMMV

Regards,
Martin Brown