Old 24-03-2006, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Default bamboo as a screen-anyone tried it?

Rupert wrote:
I do vaguely remember that summer--seems decades ago .
Message understood. I guess you gave them the absolute best growing
conditions by providing a cool moist root run.
Do you know the names of those two varieties? Phyllostachys aurea
something? and Phlyllostachys nigra perhaps.

Yep the basic P.aurea & P.nigra.

I made them very happy - or rather, they died happy!

pk

Old 24-03-2006, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"p.k." wrote
Rupert wrote:
I do vaguely remember that summer--seems decades ago .
Message understood. I guess you gave them the absolute best growing
conditions by providing a cool moist root run.
Do you know the names of those two varieties? Phyllostachys aurea
something? and Phlyllostachys nigra perhaps.

Yep the basic P.aurea & P.nigra.

I made them very happy - or rather, they died happy!

They may well take over the UK in a few years then, as all the designers
on those makeover programmes seem to include one or the other - or
both - in fairly small back gardens!

--
Sue

Old 24-03-2006, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Rupert" wrote

What you need is a clump forming bamboo as against bamboo that spreads
by sending out long runners which fire up at a distance from the
plant.
Fargesia murielae is one of the most popular because it is relatively
well behaved.

The only Bamboo I have the shows any signs of running is Sasa and I
was warned that this really is invasive and should be avoided. I am
still waiting with fear and trepidation:-)

This site gives a good explanation of the different habits of bamboo.
http://www.bamboosourcery.com/catalog.cfm?print=1

Thanks, that looks very useful.

You'll let us know if you need us to have a whip round for a machete for
you at Xmas, won't you?

--
Sue

Old 24-03-2006, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Rupert" wrote

What you need is a clump forming bamboo as against bamboo that spreads
by sending out long runners which fire up at a distance from the
plant.
Fargesia murielae is one of the most popular because it is relatively
well behaved.

The only Bamboo I have the shows any signs of running is Sasa and I
was warned that this really is invasive and should be avoided. I am
still waiting with fear and trepidation:-)

This site gives a good explanation of the different habits of bamboo.
http://www.bamboosourcery.com/catalog.cfm?print=1

Thanks, that looks very useful.

You'll let us know if you need us to have a whip round for a machete for
you at Xmas, won't you?

--
Sue

My Christmas fare is fairly traditional but this year it may include bamboo
shoots :-)

Old 24-03-2006, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"p.k." wrote
Rupert wrote:
I do vaguely remember that summer--seems decades ago .
Message understood. I guess you gave them the absolute best growing
conditions by providing a cool moist root run.
Do you know the names of those two varieties? Phyllostachys aurea
something? and Phlyllostachys nigra perhaps.

Yep the basic P.aurea & P.nigra.

I made them very happy - or rather, they died happy!

They may well take over the UK in a few years then, as all the designers
on those makeover programmes seem to include one or the other - or
both - in fairly small back gardens!

--
Sue

Yes they will probably outdo the tree ferns .
I noticed on the Stam bamboo site that there is a very dwarf variety which
can be used as a lawn.
Not all is lost . They do die (50-100 years)

Old 27-03-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
John McMillan

In article .com, "La
Puce" wrote:

PigPOg wrote:
I also want to use bamboo as a screen but I thought I'd grow them in
large containers. Don't know how this will pan-out - especially given
that I know very little about gardening let alone growing bamboo!

There's nothing to it. If they go out of hand, just dig them out. I've
had bamboos and I've never bothered doing anything to them beside
removing the dead stems, ideal to start my fires with. This 'out of
control bamboos' is really annoying me. My friend has landscaped an
area in central Manchester with bamboos 12 years ago. The bamboos
haven't spread, nor did they grew up walls, suffocated people, or
jumped on passers by.

Exactly. I've seen some real problems with Sasa Palmata and
I know a feral wood of Sasaella Ramosa which makes me very scared
of it, but in general the problems are much exagerated.
There's a page of advice at
http://www.americanbamboo.org/Genera...ingBamboo.html
Its really for california - where things allegedly grow faster -
so I'd expect far fewer problems here.

Bamboos come in two sorts; runners and clumpers (or leptomorphic
and caespitose if you like more impressive terminology). You
want clumpers to avoid the invasive tendency.

If you really want to see impressive hedges of bamboo, Burton Agnes
near Bridlington, E.Yorks have them of Yushania Anceps - which has a
slight tendency to run but is basically a clumper.

Bamboos in pots are more difficult because it is a container, and
containers dry off quicker and are prone to frost etc. Use a good
container, plastic preferably, it's lighter and easier to move around,
start well with a good drainage at the bottom, crocks, gravel and you
shouldn' t have any problem.

Bamboos in pots are problematic. They hate being dried out and
always look much happier in the soil. They have almost no water
storage organs. Depending on species and how dry you get them, you'll
get leaf curl - or they might even shed all leaves.
If you insist on containers,
be prepared to give some serious thought to irrigation in hot weather.