Old 29-03-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
newsb

Default Dropping soil pH (Blueberry bush)

In article , NC writes
I have a space next to it that would accommodate another - I'm very
tempted to buy a different variety for cross pollination. Crocus have
one that looks good... although maybe I should see how the first one
gets on - I dont want to overcrowd the patch in the first year !

I'm not sure how crucial it is, but most sources say that you get better
pollination/fruit yields if you have more than one variety flowering at
the same time.

I've got two different ones in large pots of ericaceous soil and the
same direct into the ground - big holes filled with soil more acidic
than the rest of the garden - but no linings.

These were all planted early spring last year - but were pretty small
plants at the time. All seem to be at about the same stage in their
development - and all are just starting to get their first bud fattening
atm.

--
regards andyw
Old 29-03-2006, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Unfortunately I dont have space for another pot of a different variety
- but like you, I have read that more than one is a benefit. However,
reading about the Northland, many places say that it will happily
self-polinate (although yield may be reduced).
How often do you feed your potted blueberries, and with what ??

Old 27-05-2006, 06:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
nambucca

michael adams

Michael - thanks for the advice. The plant was only £8 for a fairly
decent size - I'm prepared to give it a go and see what happens. I wont
expect a bumper crop...
I've bought some ericaceous compost from B&W this morning (on special,
only about £1 for 70l). What are your thoughts on digging a decent size
hole, adding 50/50 ericaceous/soil and using the odd bit of feed twice a
year ?? I will make sure there is a couple of feet between the base of
the plant and the nearest veg.
I could put it in a pot but am relunctant as it will look a bit odd, or
bury it in something as you suggest (I dont have anything to hand, so I
would need to buy something to suit).
I would really like to give it a go - if it fails, I'll just dig it up.

The only way you will grow blueberries is if your soil is naturally acid or
you grow it in as pot and water with rainwater

surrounding soil will simply leach in and alkalise

Old 12-04-2012, 02:18 AM
Registered User

Wink

"If you haven't decanted it, and the Plant Fair is still there
today, then I'd suggest taking it back, explaining the situation
and asking if you can exchange the plant for something else.
Or asking for your money back, if you ask really nicely."

Wow,
That was a not a very nice answer to the question of; how to I make the soil acidic enough to plant blueberries? Way to avoid the question!

Here are some answers..

blood meal... aluminum sulfide... sand... and till the heck out of it.. It will bring it down to a more suitable growing environment that most plants can handle... Blueberries can grow in a ground soil of 4.0 to 6.0.. AND.... tomatoes and most garden veggies like 5.5 to 7.5..

Hope this helps.

I was is in the same boat... and when it comes to planting... you can have a lemon tree in Alaska if u have a little time and some spare change. Don't listen to people that tell you you can't or shouldn't do anything!

and another aside... Some trees and shrubs also create acidity in soil... Like Green Giant Aborvitea's, and most types of evergreens. If you have one, test the soil and plant your blueberries near them and not your tomatoes if you don't want to mess with ph levels...

NOW THAT IS AN ANSWER TO A QUESTION!!!

Peace
Rebecca

Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 AM
Registered User

Wink

"I'm not sure how crucial it is, but most sources say that you get better
pollination/fruit yields if you have more than one variety flowering at
the same time."

Its CRUCIAL... You need to have another variety of blueberry so that there can be cross pollination. Unless you have a self pollinating bush.. Maybe you do, but without knowing I'd say just go get another one from Lowes for 10$ or so.

Also, just remembered, and then looked up so that I had my facts straight... Plant a Saskatoon berry bush is you want a berry that looks like a blueberry, tastes like a blueberry, but is a Saskatoon berry! It likes neutral soil!!!

Whoop Whoop.. Happy Gardening!!

Peace
Rebecca
Old 12-04-2012, 02:41 AM
Registered User

Id like to know where you got your degree from? and in what?

Chemistry, and biology and experience tells me you have no clue what you are talking about. By brother is a civil engineer who is now a wine maker in northern Vermont. My father is a Vintner. If he can grow grapes in the northeast kingdom of Vermont, this nice lady can plant blueberries.

Thanks but no thanks for your No It All meaningless factoids.

Peace
Rebecca
Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Unfortunately I dont have space for another pot of a different variety
- but like you, I have read that more than one is a benefit. However,
reading about the Northland, many places say that it will happily
self-polinate (although yield may be reduced).
How often do you feed your potted blueberries, and with what ??

Miracle grow for acid loving plants!

Works like a charm!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnorowe View Post

Its CRUCIAL... You need to have another variety of blueberry so that there can be cross pollination. Unless you have a self pollinating bush.. Maybe you do, but without knowing I'd say just go get another one from Lowes for 10$ or so.
You've criticised another poster for their reply, but it's not wildly helpful to post to a uk newsgroup advising purchase from a shop that appears to be in the US, quoting prices in dollars.