Old 03-04-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Bright pink leafed Acer

Can anyone tell me the name of an Acer whose leaves are a very bright
pink? Apparently there used to be one at the Garden House but it has
since been removed. I don't recall seeing it myself, so it might have
been some time ago.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-04-2006, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On 3 Apr 2006 05:47:15 -0700
"Sacha" wrote:

Can anyone tell me the name of an Acer whose leaves are a very bright
pink? Apparently there used to be one at the Garden House but it has
since been removed. I don't recall seeing it myself, so it might have
been some time ago.

Hi Sacha,

Do you mean a tree? A. pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum'
is probably the best known, pretty widely seen. Gorgeous pink
slowly goes light green in summer. Not a very large tree.
'Prinz Handjery' is similar but with a darker under-leaf, and
a bit more vigorous. I'm trying to get hold of a good specimen
of the latter, which reputedly burns less easily.

If you mean A. palmatum, there are at least several possibilities...

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 03-04-2006, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Emery Davis wrote:
On 3 Apr 2006 05:47:15 -0700
"Sacha" wrote:

Can anyone tell me the name of an Acer whose leaves are a very bright
pink? Apparently there used to be one at the Garden House but it has
since been removed. I don't recall seeing it myself, so it might have
been some time ago.

Hi Sacha,

Do you mean a tree? A. pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum'
is probably the best known, pretty widely seen. Gorgeous pink
slowly goes light green in summer. Not a very large tree.
'Prinz Handjery' is similar but with a darker under-leaf, and
a bit more vigorous. I'm trying to get hold of a good specimen
of the latter, which reputedly burns less easily.

If you mean A. palmatum, there are at least several possibilities...

Unfortunately, all I got from the customer was that it had "very bright
pink leaves, almost shocking pink". I wondered about Acer campestre
Carnival but can't find a pic of that.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-04-2006, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Emery Davis wrote:
On 3 Apr 2006 05:47:15 -0700
"Sacha" wrote:

[...]

My guess would be as Emery said A. pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum'
It might already be showing pink in milder places - almost coral pink
young leaves, a welcome eyecatching early splash of colour, almost
every park used to have one, often grown (probably better) as a big
shrub, here we've been trying to grow one as a standard and it's still
a bit pathetic after nearly 30 yrs.

--

Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On 3 Apr 2006 10:09:50 -0700
"Sacha" wrote:

Emery Davis wrote:
On 3 Apr 2006 05:47:15 -0700
"Sacha" wrote:

[...]

Could well be Brilliantissimum, it's really pink pink.

Carnival has variegated green/white/pink, but most plants
have less pink. Here's some pics:

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/a/acccar.htm

Could it be A. negundo 'Flamingo' maybe? That's more common
than Carnival, and some plants show very pink indeed on
young growth. The pink goes mostly white as the leaves
age though.

-E

Old 03-04-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Emery Davis wrote:
On 3 Apr 2006 10:09:50 -0700
"Sacha" wrote:

snip Unfortunately, all I got from the customer was that it had
"very bright
pink leaves, almost shocking pink". I wondered about Acer campestre
Carnival but can't find a pic of that.

Could well be Brilliantissimum, it's really pink pink.

Carnival has variegated green/white/pink, but most plants
have less pink. Here's some pics:

http://www.esveld.nl/htmldiaen/a/acccar.htm

Could it be A. negundo 'Flamingo' maybe? That's more common
than Carnival, and some plants show very pink indeed on
young growth. The pink goes mostly white as the leaves
age though.

I'll keep the pic of Carnival and find one of Flamingo. Rod and Emery,
thank you both for your help with this. I think Brilliantissimum must
be the one, having found it on Google images. I'll print that off and
if this chap comes in again any time soon, I can show it to him. And
*what* a stunning tree/shrub/plant/asset!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-04-2006, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cliff_the_gardener

Sacha,
Haven't seen the plant at the Garden House.

Some offerings
Acer palmateum karasugawa some leaves all pink, some variagated
http://www.hippopottering.com/karasugawa.html

Acer negundo 'Flamingo' has pink juvenille leave thought. I understood
that this was a green leaf, but gogling I found pictures showing it to
be variagated

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 03-04-2006, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Emery Davis wrote:
On 3 Apr 2006 10:09:50 -0700
"Sacha" wrote:

[...]

If you decide it is Brilliantissimum-then here is a chap who might tell you
a bit mo-)
http://home.clara.net/tmac/garden/plants/acercirc.htm

Old 03-04-2006, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 18:31:50 +0100
"Rod Craddock" wrote:

[]
My guess would be as Emery said A. pseudoplatanus 'Brilliantissimum'
It might already be showing pink in milder places - almost coral pink
young leaves, a welcome eyecatching early splash of colour, almost
every park used to have one, often grown (probably better) as a big
shrub, here we've been trying to grow one as a standard and it's still
a bit pathetic after nearly 30 yrs.

Hi Rod,

Just out of interest, how big has it gotten over 30 years?

What kind of light does yours get? Any problems with scorch?

-E

Old 04-04-2006, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lol

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone tell me the name of an Acer whose leaves are a very bright
pink? Apparently there used to be one at the Garden House but it has
since been removed. I don't recall seeing it myself, so it might have
been some time ago.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I just popped out to my APB (A. pseudoplatanus Brilliantissimum) and nary a
leaf in sight.
Buds only just now.

Lol

Old 04-04-2006, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Rupert wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Emery Davis wrote:
On 3 Apr 2006 10:09:50 -0700
"Sacha" wrote:

[...]

How funny - I didn't know about that at all!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-04-2006, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Lol wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone tell me the name of an Acer whose leaves are a very bright
pink? Apparently there used to be one at the Garden House but it has
since been removed. I don't recall seeing it myself, so it might have
been some time ago.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

I just popped out to my APB (A. pseudoplatanus Brilliantissimum) and nary a
leaf in sight.
Buds only just now.

No but the customer wasn't saying he'd seen it in leaf now, just that
he'd seen it in the past and specifically one at The Garden House,
since removed. I think it must be the Brilliantissimum, looking at all
the pics and reading the descriptions, so I hope he comes in again
soon!
OTOH, our Cornus controversa variegata is just putting out its leaves
now.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-04-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lol

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

Lol wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Right - thought you'd had a much better spring than I (London) - just having
a hail shower right now, still winter!