Old 04-04-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Hedges

kt wrote:
Hi

We have a house that is set back in its garden ie no back garden. Our
neighbour would like the side hedges low as his property is set 3 foot
lower than ours - we would like them higher as we would like a bit of
privacy for ourselves and children as we have no back garden. They are
apprx 4 ft at the moment meaning that the whole world can see in (we're
on a main road). I don't want to start a war or particularly upset him
as he is old and infirm and I do understand his point of view, where
should I go with this?

Assuming that you have moved in after him, this sounds a bit like
someone trying to impose his will on the newcomers! If the hedge is
yours, you have every right to grow it to a reasonable height. In
fact, I believe there are now government guidelines as to what those
should be. But I would suggest that you have a word with him,
explaining that you and your family need their privacy and that while
you understand his pov, you feel that you need the hedge to be at 5' to
achieve that. Perhaps he is concerned that the hedge is taking light
from his plants, perhaps he is nosy, perhaps he had this dispute with
the previous occupants of your house and is carrying that on as a
mini-feud with you. But I really don't think that a 5' hedge is
unreasonable at the side and perhaps, as someone else has suggested,
you could allow the hedge to be higher at the edge that fronts the main
road, or perhaps you could put 6' fencing there?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-04-2006, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kt

i don't mind him being able to look in as i'm sure we aren't that
interesting (!) and he seems like a nice old guy but unfortunately a
low hedge down the side means any passers by can see in to our garden
(as they're passing his) as we're raised up. there is definitely
history with previous owners as gardeners cut down a tree of ours as a
condition of sale.

all in all from the opinions you have given we'll gently suggest that
that the hedge on the side (towards the front where people can see) can
be higher and the hedge towards the rear (where only he can see) can be
lower ! a grand solution hopefully

thanks

Old 04-04-2006, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

kt wrote:
i don't mind him being able to look in as i'm sure we aren't that
interesting (!) and he seems like a nice old guy but unfortunately a
low hedge down the side means any passers by can see in to our garden
(as they're passing his) as we're raised up. there is definitely
history with previous owners as gardeners cut down a tree of ours as a
condition of sale.

all in all from the opinions you have given we'll gently suggest that
that the hedge on the side (towards the front where people can see) can
be higher and the hedge towards the rear (where only he can see) can be
lower ! a grand solution hopefully

That does, indeed, sound perfect. But why, I wonder does he want to be
able to do that? I would like to suggest that you are VERY careful
indeed as to what you agree. Please don't find yourself locked into
something which, over a few years, could become a burden to you. To
be very blunt, when your neighbour dies and new people buy his house,
you do not want to find you've entered into some kind of unspoken and
unwritten but neighbourly precedent. Clearly, you're concerned for
your neighbour's feelings - I would suggest that you check he is at
LEAST as concerned for yours.
You haven't said WHY he is so concerned to keep the hedge low. Has he
told you that there is a practical reason that relates to his garden?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
kt

I think that the previous owners did not keep the hedges etc (like the
15 ft privet which blocked his kitchen window) under control and he is
worried that he'll end up with huge hedges surrounding his property
again that he has no means of cutting, legally or physically. I think
the last owners ignored his requests for a reasonable height for things
to be. Watching the sun very carefully around our properties our hedge
would not lose him light to the garden but I think he'll worry if
things get too big and he can't do anything about it - he is
housebound. Will new neighbours expect the same treatment as we would
give to him?

Old 05-04-2006, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

reason.

There are too many 'owners' telling people what to do in life as it is. Do
NOT enter into any agreement, verbal or written. Yes we all have to live
with neighbours, even if they are across the field and 5 minutes walk away,
but if you buy a house then you pay for it with your money. As him if he
would like to pay off the mortgage or pay for the house and you will do as
he wishes.

Sorry if I appear blunt, but YOU have to be or you will be walked over. He
will be telling you what colour to paint your house next!!!

You will find, that once you stand up to him with reasonable answers, he
will back down and be quite riendly.

Been there, done that, got very good neighbours. We had one who was
difficult, but with a little 'treatment' he is OK now.

Mike

oups.com...

Old 05-04-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

There are too many 'owners' telling people what to do in life as it is. Do
NOT enter into any agreement, verbal or written.

I agree that it is a good idea not to put anythign in writing but I would
make the effort to keep him sweet. There are too many people telling you
what to do but, unfortunately, the way the law is at teh moment where you
have to sign a form saying that you have not had any dispute with neighbours
when selling a house means that having any kind of "provable" dispute can
knock thousands off your house price. The last thing you want is for him to
lodge a formal complaint about your hedge with the council. Even if he is
clearly in teh wrong you could still end up having to admit that you live
next door to a nutter when trying to sell.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 05-04-2006, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

kt wrote:
I think that the previous owners did not keep the hedges etc (like the
15 ft privet which blocked his kitchen window) under control and he is
worried that he'll end up with huge hedges surrounding his property
again that he has no means of cutting, legally or physically. I think
the last owners ignored his requests for a reasonable height for things
to be. Watching the sun very carefully around our properties our hedge
would not lose him light to the garden but I think he'll worry if
things get too big and he can't do anything about it - he is
housebound. Will new neighbours expect the same treatment as we would
give to him?

I think this explains everything and puts you in a much better position
to cope with the problem. I suggest that you goo and see him and tell
him that you have absolutely no intention of letting the hedge get over
- say - 5 or 6 feet. Tell him that, with his permission, you will
clip his side of the hedge, too so he won't have to hire someone to do
that. If you haven't already chopped down the privet blocking his
kitchen window, I suggest you do so now to show good will and that if
you have chopped it down, you gently remind him of that as evidence of
your bona fides! I think that if he can be made to see that you are
entirely reasonable and that you understand his fears and concerns but
have no intention of adding to them, he will be a lot happier and much
more relaxed about the situation. You could even put in some canes to
the height you intend the hedge to be, so that he can see the reality
of the proposed situation.
It is really very much better for you to do a little bending over
backwards at this stage, rather than follow the barrack-room lawyer
approach of "I know my rights" etc. which some might adopt. In that
way, you will have no trouble with your neighbour, your own conscience
will be clear and should you ever come to sell the property while the
old man is there, you won't have to 'declare' him as an obstructive or
nuisance neighbour.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Hedges/drainage superstar_etta Texas 13 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Planting hedges Gary Harper Texas 16 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
Hedges Shepherd Gardening 4 30-03-2003 10:44 PM
High Hedges Bill Essjay001 United Kingdom 16 30-12-2002 06:25 PM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 05:07 PM