Old 10-04-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default plant out or pot on ?

I've been growing some thing from seed Marigolds, lettuce 'little gem',
tomatoes 'tumbling tom', aubergine (white dwarf one) , peppers

They all seem to have their root showing at the bottom of them pots and
what I would like to do is plant them out but I'm worried about late
frosts .

Should I pot them on and leave them indoors until May or risk planting
them out.

The Marigolds also seem to developing flowering buds which is another
reason for wanted to plant them out .

Plus I need room to grow some more stuff

What do you think.

I'm in Berkshire , with an East facing garden with good neutral soil .

Old 10-04-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Gardening_Convert wrote:
I've been growing some thing from seed Marigolds, lettuce 'little gem',
tomatoes 'tumbling tom', aubergine (white dwarf one) , peppers

They all seem to have their root showing at the bottom of them pots and
what I would like to do is plant them out but I'm worried about late
frosts .

Should I pot them on and leave them indoors until May or risk planting
them out.

snip
Pot them on - no doubt about it. Even down here in Devon we're telling
people to wait until the end of April or middle of May before putting
them out. If you have room, you could put them in Growbags and leave
them there to grow to maturity in the greenhouse.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-04-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been growing some thing from seed Marigolds, lettuce 'little gem',
tomatoes 'tumbling tom', aubergine (white dwarf one) , peppers

They all seem to have their root showing at the bottom of them pots and
what I would like to do is plant them out but I'm worried about late
frosts .

Should I pot them on and leave them indoors until May or risk planting
them out.

The Marigolds also seem to developing flowering buds which is another
reason for wanted to plant them out .

Plus I need room to grow some more stuff

What do you think.

I'm in Berkshire , with an East facing garden with good neutral soil .

Far to early to plant out :~(
Pot on and have patience :~)
Tip: You could perhaps make a sort of rack to raise the potted on things above
the newly sown stuff?
Jenny

Old 10-04-2006, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Thanks all

I'm afraid I don't own a Greenhouse nor have room for one *SOB SOB*

So they are in the conservatory and constantly annoying the wife

I also have to have them high enough off the ground so my boys 4 & 1
years old won't damage them , especially the 1 year old as he has justy
learned to walk (well toddle) and is into everything. Kids have no
respect for plants they are just something fun and green to play with

Would a cheap little plastic grow house outside be sufficient
protection for them ?

Old 10-04-2006, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks all

I'm afraid I don't own a Greenhouse nor have room for one *SOB SOB*

So they are in the conservatory and constantly annoying the wife

I also have to have them high enough off the ground so my boys 4 & 1
years old won't damage them , especially the 1 year old as he has justy
learned to walk (well toddle) and is into everything. Kids have no
respect for plants they are just something fun and green to play with

Would a cheap little plastic grow house outside be sufficient
protection for them ?

Dubious - depends if you are in a very sheltered position.........

Maybe you could make something like this:
http://www.proportionalreading.com/plants.html

Or even just planks on bricks........

Jenny

Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:
Dubious - depends if you are in a very sheltered position.........
Maybe you could make something like this:
http://www.proportionalreading.com/plants.html

Now, that's really cute. I'd love some for my collection of coloured
glass jugs and vases )

Old 10-04-2006, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Yep I'm on two waiting lists for allotments but they are so popular now
that I might not even get one this year

Old 11-04-2006, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Gardening_Convert wrote:
Yep I'm on two waiting lists for allotments but they are so popular now
that I might not even get one this year

We have some across the lane from us and not all are being used. I
think they were originally for people from Ashburton who don't have
gardens, or not very big ones, anyway. In this village, most people
have fair sized gardens so don't need the allotments. But you're right
that using allotments is becoming more and more popular, especially as
people become more health-conscious. Apparently last year, for the
first time, Suttons sold more veg. seeds than flower seeds. I hope
you're successful, though because it's obvious that you'll be in
Seventh Heaven!!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-04-2006, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

yes can't wait , although I don't think Tanya (my wife) is looking
forward to it as I won't be doing the DIY jobs or looking after the
kids .

I'll be like Eastenders , when ever someone goes missing they always
find them down the allotment.

Hopefully I'll get a nice shed with a fridge stocked full of beer

Of course leaving room for plants , pots , potting table etc etc

Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Gardening_Convert wrote:
yes can't wait , although I don't think Tanya (my wife) is looking
forward to it as I won't be doing the DIY jobs or looking after the
kids .

Your children seem to be very small but in a very, very few years you
could set a little corner aside for them to grow a few things of their
own. My love of plants and gardening started with my grandfather and I
was very young when I realised the fascination in planting a tiny seed
and seeing it turn into a great big grown up plant!

I'll be like Eastenders , when ever someone goes missing they always
find them down the allotment.

Hopefully I'll get a nice shed with a fridge stocked full of beer

Of course leaving room for plants , pots , potting table etc etc

And the greenhouse! Don't forget the greenhouse. I wonder if you
could put your potting bench on wheels so that in hot weather, you can
move it outside while you work. Brakes would be good, of
course...............
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-04-2006, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
ups.com...
yes can't wait , although I don't think Tanya (my wife) is looking
forward to it as I won't be doing the DIY jobs or looking after the
kids .

I'll be like Eastenders , when ever someone goes missing they always
find them down the allotment.

Hopefully I'll get a nice shed with a fridge stocked full of beer

along with the lazy boy arm chair, TV, radio, supply of fags at close reach
and draw full of dirty mags.

rob

Old 12-04-2006, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
ups.com...
yes can't wait , although I don't think Tanya (my wife) is looking
forward to it as I won't be doing the DIY jobs or looking after the
kids .

I'll be like Eastenders , when ever someone goes missing they always
find them down the allotment.

Hopefully I'll get a nice shed with a fridge stocked full of beer

Of course leaving room for plants , pots , potting table etc etc

You sound like you might enjoy PP;s and BA ..........so you may, at your own
risk, wish to visit uk.rec.sheds........... You might want te read this first:
http://www.uk-rec-sheds.org.uk/

Jenny :~)