Old 25-04-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mentalguy2004

Default Reccommendation of nice UK bougainvillea-type climber?

Hi

I have recently come back from Greece, and was impressed with the
Bougainvillea (I think it was), but I understand that I can't buy some and
leave it outdoors during the winter. Is there anything similar I can use,
primarily for covering a pergola, which means it has to survive a UK South
Coast winter? I'm looking for an ivy/bougainvillea type plant, with nice
flowers (pref red/pink) which can climb. I don't mind if it only flowers in
hot weather as long as it is hardy enough to last the winter.

Thanks for your help!

Old 25-04-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"mentalguy2004" wrote
I have recently come back from Greece, and was impressed with the
Bougainvillea (I think it was), but I understand that I can't buy some and
leave it outdoors during the winter. Is there anything similar I can use,
primarily for covering a pergola, which means it has to survive a UK South
Coast winter? I'm looking for an ivy/bougainvillea type plant, with nice
flowers (pref red/pink) which can climb. I don't mind if it only flowers
in hot weather as long as it is hardy enough to last the winter.

I hope Charlie will be along in a while but if not here's a link to his
nursery...
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-04-2006, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"mentalguy2004" wrote in message
Hi

I have recently come back from Greece, and was impressed with the
Bougainvillea (I think it was), but I understand that I can't buy some and
leave it outdoors during the winter. Is there anything similar I can use,
primarily for covering a pergola, which means it has to survive a UK South
Coast winter? I'm looking for an ivy/bougainvillea type plant, with nice
flowers (pref red/pink) which can climb. I don't mind if it only flowers

in
hot weather as long as it is hardy enough to last the winter.

Thanks for your help!

I suppose its Roses which will do the sort of job done by Bougainvillea in
the UK climate.
Suggest you visit some gardens with pergolas and see what takes your fancy,
you can use absolutely anything and grow clematis up it of course :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 26-04-2006, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"mentalguy2004" writes:

| I have recently come back from Greece, and was impressed with the
| Bougainvillea (I think it was), but I understand that I can't buy some and
| leave it outdoors during the winter.

Oh, you can - it will just be dead come spring :-)

| Is there anything similar I can use,
| primarily for covering a pergola, which means it has to survive a UK South
| Coast winter? I'm looking for an ivy/bougainvillea type plant, with nice
| flowers (pref red/pink) which can climb. I don't mind if it only flowers in
| hot weather as long as it is hardy enough to last the winter.

Many plants. I do that with Vitis coignetae and Campsis x tagliabuana
"Mmme Galen". The former has huge leaves, colours well in autumn and
is very vigorous (but essentially no flowers). The latter needs to
climb up a post, as it has a growth habit like ivy and develops short
flowering shoots as it starts to waggle free - it is the trumpet shaped
climber with pinnate leaves that you see in Brittany etc. It grows at
3-6' a year up posts/walls/trees/etc. (linearly) and at 6-12" a year
in flower mode (in a bushy fashion).

But you can also do it with many clematis, honeysuckle and almost any
other climber hardy in the UK. Most are rather 'thin' but you could
also use Clematis armandii, which definitely isn't.

I would recommend Campsis x tagliabuana or Clematis armandii.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 26-04-2006, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mentalguy2004

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"mentalguy2004" writes:

| I have recently come back from Greece, and was impressed with the
| Bougainvillea (I think it was), but I understand that I can't buy some
and
| leave it outdoors during the winter.

Oh, you can - it will just be dead come spring :-)

| Is there anything similar I can use,
| primarily for covering a pergola, which means it has to survive a UK
South
| Coast winter? I'm looking for an ivy/bougainvillea type plant, with
nice
| flowers (pref red/pink) which can climb. I don't mind if it only
flowers in
| hot weather as long as it is hardy enough to last the winter.

Many plants. I do that with Vitis coignetae and Campsis x tagliabuana
"Mmme Galen". The former has huge leaves, colours well in autumn and
is very vigorous (but essentially no flowers). The latter needs to
climb up a post, as it has a growth habit like ivy and develops short
flowering shoots as it starts to waggle free - it is the trumpet shaped
climber with pinnate leaves that you see in Brittany etc. It grows at
3-6' a year up posts/walls/trees/etc. (linearly) and at 6-12" a year
in flower mode (in a bushy fashion).

But you can also do it with many clematis, honeysuckle and almost any
other climber hardy in the UK. Most are rather 'thin' but you could
also use Clematis armandii, which definitely isn't.

I would recommend Campsis x tagliabuana or Clematis armandii.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

They look like very nice alternatives, thanks for the helpful advice. A trip
to the local nurseries looks in order

Tree reccommendation? [email protected][_2_] United Kingdom 20 04-08-2008 08:21 AM
Recommendations for Nice Corner Garden Shurb type Plant UK2004 Gardening 1 05-08-2006 04:16 AM
reccommendation needed for landscaper to restore lawn Dave Programmer Texas 1 10-08-2005 05:08 PM
[IBC] Bougainvillea advice CLSC Bonsai 4 06-03-2003 03:39 PM
[IBC] Bougainvillea root pruning Neal Ross Bonsai 2 27-02-2003 03:53 AM