Old 28-04-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default ... images of ordinary uk gardens

Tayac wrote:
But you are a much better photographer than me :-)

Ta but yours are pretty amazing too, particularly the shot from a bird
eye view!

How do you do the blogs page thingy?!

?? Don't have a blog - too much work !

Bum. I'll investigate, sometime next year ... ;o)

ps. my youngest came up with an histerical question last night: we were
on our way back from seeing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (absolutely
marvelous) and was discussing the long bank hol. week end ahead. I have
bought some nematodes and hoped to get them today to apply on Sunday.
He then asked: "When are your megatoads arriving then?". g

Old 28-04-2006, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Martin
writes
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:45:30 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , JennyC
writes

"chris French" wrote

We have however started a blog about the 'new' garden this year,

http://chrisfrench.org/gardenblog/

On the off chance that anyone might be interested - though it's mostly
for our own benefit.
Chris French

Hi Chris,
I get 404 :~((

Typical :-(

I'm having a few problems with the webserver, but it's up again now.

It's not working at 11:00 GMT

Ahh, that was probably down to the fact that lack chunks of my ISP's
network weren't working very well/at all yesterday.
--
Chris French

Old 28-04-2006, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

Default Blogging

In message .com, La
Puce writes

How do you do the blogs page thingy?!

Very easily if you want to. Easiest way to start is to go to one of the
free blog sites sign up and you can be away in a few minutes.

The big name is Blogger, but I don't like that, and it does cause some
people problems.

I'd probably use Wordpress.com

http://wordpress.com/

but I know a number of people who are happy with Blogsome:

http://www.blogsome.com/

Though we host our own one using Wordpress (the above link is to the
blog hosting site) Wordpress the software is at wordpress.org - but they
are both linked..

If you have suitable webspace (requires MySQL and PHP) then it is easy
enough to set up.

--
Chris French

Old 28-04-2006, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

Ok......... I've started a new thread titled 'Gardening Britain......
etc' picking up on the discussion here. It announces that I have
*accidentally* started a photo sharing group on Flickr. So I'm
committed. Oh well.

Old 28-04-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

chris French wrote:
Very easily if you want to. Easiest way to start is to go to one of the
free blog sites sign up and you can be away in a few minutes.

(snip)

Thanks a lot. Our website is being redone (by someone else's because in
all honesty it's a huge amount of work). So I've registered with
blogsome (which is Irish?!) and hope I've done the right thing (a bit
naive here). I'm going to have fun this bank holiday so watch this
space!! Thanks again )

Old 28-04-2006, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message . com, La
Puce writes

chris French wrote:
Very easily if you want to. Easiest way to start is to go to one of the
free blog sites sign up and you can be away in a few minutes.

(snip)

Thanks a lot. Our website is being redone (by someone else's because in
all honesty it's a huge amount of work). So I've registered with
blogsome (which is Irish?!) and hope I've done the right thing (a bit
naive here). I'm going to have fun this bank holiday so watch this
space!! Thanks again )

post the address once it's up and running so we can see it.

--
Chris French
Garden blog: http://chrisfrench.org/gardenblog/

Old 28-04-2006, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue writes

"JennyC" wrote
Here's mine:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm
Not actually a garden - more a patio and roof garden "~)
Not even in the UK - but pretty close :~)

I've looked at your site before on the URGring I think but was nice to
see again. Your garden's very stylish Jenny. :-)

As we're talking about photos can I ask if anyone has any
recommendations for a good digital camera that will take decent close
ups (insects, individual flowers etc) as well as ordinary outdoor garden
shots and indoor pics. Something up to about £200?

Look at some of the Olympus - as well as a 'macro' mode they have a
'supermacro' which is down to a couple of inches - excellent for insects
etc. I have a C-310 which is below your budget. Only niggle is that the
supermacro won't work with flash, and low light level is far more
damaging to focus that camera shake. But it does what I want - simple
'point and click' which works equally well for holiday snaps, indoor
pics (in my case, cave pics), and close ups of flowers for later
identification.

If you google Olympus you'll find complaints that it's heavy on
batteries. But in my experience this isn't so - it's just a big whinger!
I have just taken several hundred photos over a week with the 'battery
low' warning sign on continuously.
--
Kay
Old 28-04-2006, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"K" wrote
Sue writes

snip
As we're talking about photos can I ask if anyone has any
recommendations for a good digital camera that will take decent close
ups (insects, individual flowers etc) as well as ordinary outdoor
garden shots and indoor pics. Something up to about £200?

Look at some of the Olympus - as well as a 'macro' mode they have a
'supermacro' which is down to a couple of inches - excellent for
insects etc. I have a C-310 which is below your budget. Only niggle is
that the supermacro won't work with flash, and low light level is far
more damaging to focus that camera shake. But it does what I want -
simple 'point and click' which works equally well for holiday snaps,
indoor pics (in my case, cave pics), and close ups of flowers for
later identification.

snip

I didn't know there were so many different makes and types of camera
until I tentatively started looking! This sounds just the sort of thing
I'm looking for - will check them out. Thanks Kay, and also to Martin
for the review site link.

--
Sue

Old 29-04-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message ews.net
from "Sue" contains these words:

As we're talking about photos can I ask if anyone has any
recommendations for a good digital camera that will take decent close
ups (insects, individual flowers etc) as well as ordinary outdoor garden
shots and indoor pics. Something up to about £200?

I have a Fuji MX-1700 Zoom which I like a lot; brilliant for closeups
and good colour quality. Can't remember what it didn't cost me :-)

Janet

Does it tell you what is in focus at close range? mine takes a good picture
but close up I have to guess as only .25 to .5M is in focus, bit of a pain
so am looking to replace it.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-04-2006, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message ews.net
from "Sue" contains these words:

As we're talking about photos can I ask if anyone has any
recommendations for a good digital camera that will take decent close
ups (insects, individual flowers etc) as well as ordinary outdoor garden
shots and indoor pics. Something up to about £200?

I have a Fuji MX-1700 Zoom which I like a lot; brilliant for closeups
and good colour quality. Can't remember what it didn't cost me :-)

Janet

Yours still going too Janet ?
I think mine didn't cost less than yours :~)

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply