Old 26-04-2006, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

Default ... images of ordinary uk gardens

... not National Trust, or Botanical etc...

I'm a flickr user and have occasionally stumbled across lovely informal
snaps of gardens (from all over the world) which are idea provoking and
just enjoyable to look at. Like this one I stumbled accross yesterday
found at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/liquids...entiousgarden/

I couldn't find a group there that specifically caters to images of
ordinary UK gardens - a place where British people pool and share snaps
of favourite bits of their garden.

Can anyone here recommend a site/group specifically used by UK
gardeners? I'd love to see what other people are doing and what other
people like about their gardens.

Old 26-04-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Small Red Robin" wrote in message
oups.com...
.. not National Trust, or Botanical etc...

I'm a flickr user and have occasionally stumbled across lovely informal
snaps of gardens (from all over the world) which are idea provoking and
just enjoyable to look at. Like this one I stumbled accross yesterday
found at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/liquids...entiousgarden/

I couldn't find a group there that specifically caters to images of
ordinary UK gardens - a place where British people pool and share snaps
of favourite bits of their garden.

Can anyone here recommend a site/group specifically used by UK
gardeners? I'd love to see what other people are doing and what other
people like about their gardens.

This site is not UK specific--but you get the idea. If there is not a
Gallery that suits your needs you could set one up.
http://www.pbase.com/theukoasis/root

Old 26-04-2006, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

Thanks Rupert. That's a useful link and there are some impressive
gardens in there ... certainly will keep that as a site to re-visit.

It is close to what I was thinking of, but I think that unless I
visited it every day, and checked every folder, I'd miss new images
because they're so hidden away in individual sections.

I quite like the way flickr (for example) chronologically sorts images
so you can see the latest additions to the pool, and the way people are
able to comment on images or make suggestions. I appreciate that I'm
only thinking in a 'flickr-like' way because that's what I've got used
to - I'm sure there must be other gardening image based groups, equally
as interactive out there.

Anyway, I browsed around flickr a bit more and came up with these two
group examples to show what I mean... I'm going to keep looking for a
group where informal images of ordinary UK gardens are pooled and
discussed - but haven't found one yet.

English Gardens: http://www.flickr.com/groups/englishgardens/
Allotments UK: http://www.flickr.com/groups/10369993@N00/

Old 26-04-2006, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

..... only a bit :-) It's a bit of a shame.

Do other people here have an interest in a straightforward single forum
where people can easily pool images, and comment on them, restricted to
British gardens..? I've looked into the flickr groups thingy and I
think I could set one up. People can then reasonably easily post images
to the shared pool if they wanted to.

But I don't want to start something if I'm the only person with a
curiosity about what other people's gardens look like or an interest in
the stage by stage developments of a project in someone's garden. Or if
there is something like this already out there but evading my internet
search techniques.

Image based sharing? A group called 'British Recreational Gardening'
restricted to images of British gardens (no National Trust/Parks/
Botanics etc)..?

What do others think?

Old 27-04-2006, 01:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message .com,
Small Red Robin writes
.... only a bit :-) It's a bit of a shame.

Do other people here have an interest in a straightforward single forum
where people can easily pool images, and comment on them, restricted to
British gardens..?

maybe, vaguely, then again I'm a Flickr user and have not bothered that
much about specifically looking at garden photos.

I've looked into the flickr groups thingy and I
think I could set one up.

It's very easy.

People can then reasonably easily post images
to the shared pool if they wanted to.

As long as they are flickr members.

But I don't want to start something if I'm the only person with a
curiosity about what other people's gardens look like or an interest in
the stage by stage developments of a project in someone's garden.

Well a Flickr group is easily set up, best way to get interest in it is
to post images you put in the pool into other Flickr groups, maybe send
so other members you find a message about it.

Image based sharing? A group called 'British Recreational Gardening'
restricted to images of British gardens (no National Trust/Parks/
Botanics etc)..?

What do others think?

I'm not aware of anything like it around, but then I've not looked.
--
Chris French

Old 27-04-2006, 01:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message .com
from "Small Red Robin" contains these words:

I couldn't find a group there that specifically caters to images of
ordinary UK gardens - a place where British people pool and share snaps
of favourite bits of their garden.

Can anyone here recommend a site/group specifically used by UK
gardeners? I'd love to see what other people are doing and what other
people like about their gardens.

This one.Look up "urgring" in google. It's only a bit out of date :-)

We never did get round to putting any photos up. In fact I'd forgotten
all about the Urgring. A bit of blast from the past looking at some of
them

We have however started a blog about the 'new' garden this year,

http://chrisfrench.org/gardenblog/

On the off chance that anyone might be interested - though it's mostly
for our own benefit.
--
Chris French

Old 27-04-2006, 06:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"chris French" wrote

We have however started a blog about the 'new' garden this year,

http://chrisfrench.org/gardenblog/

On the off chance that anyone might be interested - though it's mostly
for our own benefit.
Chris French

Hi Chris,
I get 404 :~((
Jenny

Old 27-04-2006, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , JennyC
writes

"chris French" wrote

We have however started a blog about the 'new' garden this year,

http://chrisfrench.org/gardenblog/

On the off chance that anyone might be interested - though it's mostly
for our own benefit.
Chris French

Hi Chris,
I get 404 :~((

Typical :-(

I'm having a few problems with the webserver, but it's up again now.
--
Chris French

Old 27-04-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

chris French wrote:

I've looked into the flickr groups thingy and I
think I could set one up.

It's very easy.

It appears that way... but I haven't done it before. I'll give it a go.

People can then reasonably easily post images

to the shared pool if they wanted to.

As long as they are flickr members.

.... and it is a pain joining Flickr via yahoo, isn't it? It has been an
obstacle with some of my family. Once set up it's so great but getting
going seems to put people off joining....

Well a Flickr group is easily set up, best way to get interest in it is
to post images you put in the pool into other Flickr groups, maybe send
so other members you find a message about it.

Image based sharing? A group called 'British Recreational Gardening'
restricted to images of British gardens (no National Trust/Parks/
Botanics etc)..?

What do others think?

I'm not really ready to post my own pictures up - my garden is only
just getting going - so the group may stand empty for a while. But
maybe it will eventually take off if exisiting Flickr users join in...
fingers crossed...

I was really hoping to be able to look at other people's gardens to get
some inspiration and ideas and also be able to ask directly (in
response to images) how people managed to achieve certain looks, or the
name of a plant they'd used etc. Sort of like browsing through a
gardening book or magazine but with the added advantage of being able
to ask questions and get an answer.

Anyway, will see how I get on and post something back here at the end
of it...

Many thanks.

Old 27-04-2006, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Small Red Robin" wrote
I was really hoping to be able to look at other people's gardens to get
some inspiration and ideas and also be able to ask directly (in
response to images) how people managed to achieve certain looks, or the
name of a plant they'd used etc. Sort of like browsing through a
gardening book or magazine but with the added advantage of being able
to ask questions and get an answer.

Anyway, will see how I get on and post something back here at the end
of it... Many thanks.

Here's mine:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm
Not actually a garden - more a patio and roof garden "~)
Not even in the UK - but pretty close :~)
Jenny

Old 27-04-2006, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"JennyC" wrote
Here's mine:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm
Not actually a garden - more a patio and roof garden "~)
Not even in the UK - but pretty close :~)

I've looked at your site before on the URGring I think but was nice to
see again. Your garden's very stylish Jenny. :-)

As we're talking about photos can I ask if anyone has any
recommendations for a good digital camera that will take decent close
ups (insects, individual flowers etc) as well as ordinary outdoor garden
shots and indoor pics. Something up to about £200?

--
Sue

Old 27-04-2006, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Small Red Robin

Well, that kind of proves my point about getting ideas from what other
people are doing; your galvanised steel trellis is fab. I've sent the
patio link to my partner with the comment 'I want one of these'
attached. Fat chance but always worth a try! :-)

Old 28-04-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:
Here's mine:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm
Not actually a garden - more a patio and roof garden "~)
Not even in the UK - but pretty close :~)

You only got 6 months in your year g

Lovely though. I wish I'd have time to do this. I could only manage to
do a pdf and a link:

http://cjoint.com/?eClusyRFgT

How do you do the blogs page thingy?!

Old 28-04-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tayac

"Small Red Robin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, that kind of proves my point about getting ideas from what other
people are doing; your galvanised steel trellis is fab. I've sent the
patio link to my partner with the comment 'I want one of these'
attached. Fat chance but always worth a try! :-)

:-))

It's made with concrete reinforcing that's bent into shape and then
galvanised.
Helps to have a builder in the family :-)
Jenny

Old 28-04-2006, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tayac

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

JennyC wrote:
Here's mine:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/indexgarden.htm
Not actually a garden - more a patio and roof garden "~)
Not even in the UK - but pretty close :~)

You only got 6 months in your year g

Lovely though. I wish I'd have time to do this. I could only manage to
do a pdf and a link:
http://cjoint.com/?eClusyRFgT

But you are a much better photographer than me :-)

How do you do the blogs page thingy?!

?? Don't have a blog - too much work !
Jenny