Old 28-04-2006, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

Default tame garden birds

Two very large compost bins (£15 each, post free + free kitchen caddy
i.e. bucket with lid) turned up yesterday thanks to a link recently
posted on this group.

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_compo...your_area.html

Enter your postcode to see if there are any cheap deals in your area
The bins were supplied to me in partnership with Essex County Council.

I spent most of the day building the bins and transferring a very large
unruly pile of garden waste built up during the past year to these bins.

What surprised me was that within a few minutes of starting two Robins
appeared. I haven't seen any before in my garden in the last 20 years -
the cat population usually ensures the few birds now feed in gardens
local to me. Although they were slightly wary at first, within half an
hour I had to be careful not to injure them as they were feeding within
inches of my fork as I was transferring the pile to the bins.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 29-04-2006, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy

Robins are always like that - I've had them in the kitchen before. They
always
come down to see what you're up to if you're tidying up or digging. You hear
this very soft warbling, look around, and there one is, sitting on the fork
handle! Where do you live that you haven't seen a Robin in 20 years?

Andy.

Old 29-04-2006, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

I love Robins. I got a tame one last year. I was off work sick for
three weeks and did alot of sleeping on the swing seat at the bottom of
the garden. Scruff (I named him) kept sitting on the grass right in
front of me and would stare at me quite intensely. I would wake up and
he would often be there. Also had a Bull Finch that was very cheeky
too and took no notice of me in the end. I think I became part of the
garden furniture if you see what I mean.

Get some meal worms and he will probably eat them out of your hand if
you patient enough :-)

Old 29-04-2006, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Most garden birds don't make the same use of someone turning earth for
them, which is why robins seem more often to be 'tame'.

Blackbirds in our garden do :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 29-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Registered User

Thanks for this great link Alan....have just ordered a compost bin and base for £11.
Although have just read that compost bins in general are better placed on soil so as to let the worms in and do their stuff....
Anyhow am well pleased,
Starglo

Tame Blackberries? Stan Gardening 1 20-12-2007 01:11 PM
will wild bullfrogs tame? Bonita Ponds 6 25-05-2006 01:31 PM
Pond update - mosquito minnows tame in two days mark Bannister Ponds 6 18-06-2005 03:29 PM
How to tame a virginia creeper? Peter United Kingdom 3 27-07-2003 09:30 AM