Old 24-05-2006, 03:38 PM posted to rec.ponds
Bonita

Default will wild bullfrogs tame?

I have 2 wild bullfrogs that have been living in my pond for 4 years
now, only those 2 no other have come around. I was just playing around
my pond yesterday and tossed a store bought cricket at them, end result
happy frog!!! I fed the rest of the 20 or so crickets I had left. They
got very close to me when getting their free meal. I thought that was
so cool!!! If I continue to feed them like this will they tame to the
point of petting them? But I wonder if they get used to me feeding them
all the time will they forget the wild hunt for food in them? So is
this a good idea or not. Also caught them mating today, how long for
the eggs?

Old 24-05-2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Hey Bonita
Your wasteing your time in these usenet forums if your wanting to
discuss your frogs and ponds. They all got evicted, and moved to
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium

Go there i if your looking for answers and not a bashing that is
usually the norm from Carol Gulley and her sock puppets Koi Lo and a
few others. Now if yuor looking to read some juicy tid bits on various
so called poinders and aquarists this is the place to be.....

Old 24-05-2006, 04:56 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default will wild bullfrogs tame? - tame frogs

*Note: There are two *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Bonita" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 2 wild bullfrogs that have been living in my pond for 4 years
now, only those 2 no other have come around. I was just playing around
my pond yesterday and tossed a store bought cricket at them, end result
happy frog!!! I fed the rest of the 20 or so crickets I had left. They
got very close to me when getting their free meal. I thought that was
so cool!!! If I continue to feed them like this will they tame to the
point of petting them? But I wonder if they get used to me feeding them
all the time will they forget the wild hunt for food in them? So is
this a good idea or not. Also caught them mating today, how long for
the eggs?

=============================
They do get used to human activity. I can walk right up to some that live
around my ponds. Both green frogs and bullfrogs. I read it's not a good
idea to feed them. Allow them to feed themselves. I doubt frogs would enjoy
being petted. When they mate the eggs are laid right there and then, almost
always among plants.

Koi-Lo....
Aquariums since 1952. Frugal ponding since 1995.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Disclaimer:
I do not post from Google, Earthlink, Usenetzone or Verizon.
Rude, inane or obscene messages are not mine .
The person impersonating me is ~ Roy posting through Earthlink.net.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~~~{@ ~~~~~{@

Old 25-05-2006, 12:54 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

On 24 May 2006 07:38:20 -0700, "Bonita" wrote:

I have 2 wild bullfrogs that have been living in my pond for 4 years
now, only those 2 no other have come around. I was just playing around
my pond yesterday and tossed a store bought cricket at them, end result
happy frog!!! I fed the rest of the 20 or so crickets I had left. They
got very close to me when getting their free meal. I thought that was
so cool!!! If I continue to feed them like this will they tame to the
point of petting them? But I wonder if they get used to me feeding them
all the time will they forget the wild hunt for food in them? So is
this a good idea or not. Also caught them mating today, how long for
the eggs?

Bonita, I think that is really cool. I've heard of turtles that also figure
out where the food is coming from and will approach the pond owner. As far
as removing the wild part, it is all instinct, they have no real clue
whether the cricket you toss is the cricket that is naturally grown,
imo. I guess you'll have to let us know if they become okay with being
touched. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 25-05-2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Your gonna have to be faster than that Jan. CArol already gave her an
answer 180 opposite of what you said. Personally I trust your
word.......

Personally a nice big old bull frog, is better having his legs
browning in butter in a frying pan or on the grill being brushed or
basted with real butter....I gig basket fulls during the summer months
here and they make some fine eating.

Old 25-05-2006, 12:20 PM posted to rec.ponds
Bonita

Roy your so right Bullfrogs are some fine eating! I gig for them
often!! YUM YUM!! When I go home La. New Orleans has some of the
biggest bullfrogs in the swamp you have ever seen or eatin. But I will
not eat my local pals of my pond but I do catch myself looking at their
plump legs from time to time!!! If they could read my thoughts I dought
I would have bullfrogs hanging around my pond. Thanks to you Roy I now
have names for my frogs, Butters for the male and Yummy for the female.

Tame Blackberries? Stan Gardening 1 20-12-2007 01:11 PM
tame garden birds Alan United Kingdom 4 29-04-2006 01:12 PM
Pond update - mosquito minnows tame in two days mark Bannister Ponds 6 18-06-2005 03:29 PM
How to tame a virginia creeper? Peter United Kingdom 3 27-07-2003 09:30 AM