Old 29-04-2006, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Default Salix Caprea 'Kilmarnock'

Hi folks,

We bought one of these a few weeks ago and have planted it very close
to the house - about 6-7 ft away actually. It is about 5 ft high at
the mo and looking very lovely. Now I know it won't get much bigger
but have been reading on some other posts on here that it will seek out
water and should not be planted near water pipes - Oh dear! Can anyone
tell me if this will be real problem with this small type?

Also how do I train it to weep? In one of the old posts someone has
written that you have to train it to weep rather than just let it hang.
I am especially concerned about this because I have seen what looks
like a lot of these in other peoples gardens and they don't look very
nice. They seem to be really full and hanging and look like a monster
head type of thing and I don't want ours to end up looking like that.

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Gail

Old 29-04-2006, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"tom&barbara" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hi folks,
:
[...]
it does it's own thing but once it gets going you need to thin out some of
the branches right back to the main stem or it gets too dense to be any good

Old 29-04-2006, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

:
it does it's own thing but once it gets going you need to thin out some of
the branches right back to the main stem or it gets too dense to be any

good

becomes top heavy and in the slightest wind, ... falls over :-((

Stake VERY well. (We used inch and a half gas pipe before we eventually
ditched both of them )

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 29-04-2006, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Thank you both for your advice. I will stake it very well and trim it
occasionally.

Do you think it will be ok so close to the house? It is about 7ft
away.

Gail

Old 29-04-2006, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"tom&barbara" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you both for your advice. I will stake it very well and trim it
occasionally.

Do you think it will be ok so close to the house? It is about 7ft
away.

Gail

The one in our front garden was about 4 feet from the house!! The trouble is
the roots were very near the surface, THAT is why that one, and the one in
the back garden, blew over. They are very pretty when small/young, but as
they get a lot of growth on them, they are ugly and as I say top heavy.

Old 29-04-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Thanks Mike

I think the ones I have seen in other people's gardens must be older
than ours. Ours is really pretty at the moment and I really don't want
it to end up looking all top heavy and like someone with a very bad
hair day. I will trim it best I can to keep it looking nice.

Gail

Old 29-04-2006, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"tom&barbara" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks Mike

I think the ones I have seen in other people's gardens must be older
than ours. Ours is really pretty at the moment and I really don't want
it to end up looking all top heavy and like someone with a very bad
hair day. I will trim it best I can to keep it looking nice.

Gail

Good ;-)

I shall come and inspect it and see if it meets my aproval ;-)))

Best wishes

Old 30-04-2006, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

[...]

We have one that must be 18 years old, about 8ft tall and 10ft in
diam.
No training required. Just prune out the annual dead stems.
In full leaf it is a dense bee-hive shape.
Out of leaf (now) the contorted stems have 'architectural' appeal.
Personally, I wouldn't have one close to the house but that will
depend on the space at your disposal and layout of the garden.
Ours is unstaked and has never shown any tendency to blow over.

......... And if you don't want it "really full and hanging and look
like a monster
head type of thing", perhaps you don't want a Salix caprea Kilmarnock.
:-))

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk