Old 01-05-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
KK

Default Taking the P*** ?

Hello - I read somewhere that urine is a good fertiliser, and is
particularly good on the compost heap ??

Is this true - or is someone taking the ****

Thanks

KK

Old 01-05-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

KK writes
Hello - I read somewhere that urine is a good fertiliser, and is
particularly good on the compost heap ??

Is this true - or is someone taking the ****

It's true. It has a high nitrogen content
--
Kay
Old 01-05-2006, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

"KK" wrote in message
Hello - I read somewhere that urine is a good fertiliser, and is
particularly good on the compost heap ??

Is this true - or is someone taking the ****

Some say it's "too strong" to use undiluted. I remain to be convinced about
that, but anyway, get half a bucket of water, pee in it, and empty the
bucket onto the compost. That's what I do on the allotment, as do many
others.

Steve

Old 01-05-2006, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
StsAlive

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"KK" wrote in message
Hello - I read somewhere that urine is a good fertiliser, and is
particularly good on the compost heap ??

Is this true - or is someone taking the ****

Some say it's "too strong" to use undiluted. I remain to be convinced
about that, but anyway, get half a bucket of water, pee in it, and empty
the bucket onto the compost. That's what I do on the allotment, as do many
others.

Steve

Does that dilute properly if combined that way around.

From my days in mixing soluble oils (for engineering machines) you put the
smaller quantity (the oil in this case) in the bucket first. This ensured
that the oil mixed fully with the added water.

dj

Old 01-05-2006, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"StsAlive" wrote in message
news

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"KK" wrote in message
Hello - I read somewhere that urine is a good fertiliser, and is
particularly good on the compost heap ??

Is this true - or is someone taking the ****

Some say it's "too strong" to use undiluted. I remain to be convinced
about that, but anyway, get half a bucket of water, pee in it, and empty
the bucket onto the compost. That's what I do on the allotment, as do
many others.

Steve

Does that dilute properly if combined that way around.

From my days in mixing soluble oils (for engineering machines) you put the
smaller quantity (the oil in this case) in the bucket first. This ensured
that the oil mixed fully with the added water.

dj
But which is the *smaller* quantity?
Half a bucket of **** or half a bucket of water:-)

Old 01-05-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

From my days in mixing soluble oils (for engineering machines) you put the
smaller quantity (the oil in this case) in the bucket first. This ensured
that the oil mixed fully with the added water.

dj

Like putting the milk in the cup first 'before' the tea? :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 01-05-2006, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| But which is the *smaller* quantity?
| Half a bucket of **** or half a bucket of water:-)

That's either a damn small bucket or you are really a horse.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| But which is the *smaller* quantity?
| Half a bucket of **** or half a bucket of water:-)

That's either a damn small bucket or you are really a horse.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh God! Have the girls been talking about me yet again ?:-)

Old 01-05-2006, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| But which is the *smaller* quantity?
| Half a bucket of **** or half a bucket of water:-)

That's either a damn small bucket or you are really a horse.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh God! Have the girls been talking about me yet again ?:-)

Thank you for making my night! I sat on the sofa and roared with
laughter while reading this.

Gail

Old 02-05-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Urine contains urea-nitrogen-good as an accelerator on the compost heap, and
on plants if indirectly applied. Chaps can do it.
It is also the way we excrete potassium. Warm blooded creatures have less
need for it than plants. I guess urine is the main source of potassium in
manures.
Regards
David T

Old 02-05-2006, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stevej

I thought it also had high levels of Ammonia too, isn't that harmful to
plants? I haven't conducted any detailed analysis by the way (just thought
I would drop that in) ;-)

Steve

Old 02-05-2006, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
StsAlive

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"StsAlive" wrote in message
news

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"KK" wrote in message
Hello - I read somewhere that urine is a good fertiliser, and is
particularly good on the compost heap ??

Is this true - or is someone taking the ****

Some say it's "too strong" to use undiluted. I remain to be convinced
about that, but anyway, get half a bucket of water, pee in it, and
empty the bucket onto the compost. That's what I do on the allotment, as
do many others.

Steve

Does that dilute properly if combined that way around.

From my days in mixing soluble oils (for engineering machines) you put
the smaller quantity (the oil in this case) in the bucket first. This
ensured that the oil mixed fully with the added water.

dj

But which is the *smaller* quantity?
Half a bucket of **** or half a bucket of water:-)

I've seen your sort at the footy in the pisuire they stand 3 feet from the
urinal with feet 3 feet apart then fall forwards with both hands on the
wall...............swaying pee from side to side............
sorta horse like.............

dj

Old 02-05-2006, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"StsAlive" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"StsAlive" wrote in message
news

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"KK" wrote in message
Hello - I read somewhere that urine is a good fertiliser, and is
particularly good on the compost heap ??

Is this true - or is someone taking the ****

Some say it's "too strong" to use undiluted. I remain to be convinced
about that, but anyway, get half a bucket of water, pee in it, and
empty the bucket onto the compost. That's what I do on the allotment,
as do many others.

Steve

Does that dilute properly if combined that way around.

From my days in mixing soluble oils (for engineering machines) you put
the smaller quantity (the oil in this case) in the bucket first. This
ensured that the oil mixed fully with the added water.

dj

But which is the *smaller* quantity?
Half a bucket of **** or half a bucket of water:-)

I've seen your sort at the footy in the pisuire they stand 3 feet from the
urinal with feet 3 feet apart then fall forwards with both hands on the
wall...............swaying pee from side to side............
sorta horse like.............

dj
Why were you in the ladies toilets watching them?

Old 02-05-2006, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

stevej wrote:
I thought it also had high levels of Ammonia too, isn't that harmful to
plants? I haven't conducted any detailed analysis by the way (just thought
I would drop that in) ;-)

Not exactly. AIUI, urine contains urea, which is formed from (amongst
other things) ammonia and it's the nitrogen that originates from the
ammonia that you want in the compost heap.

James
Old 03-05-2006, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The ammonia you can get from urine is a breakdown product of the urea
caused by bacterial action. That is why fresh urine, at least non
infected, doesn't have that smell. Put fresh urine on the compost heap
and other bacteria will break it down to release the nitrogen, a very
small amount of ammonia will be formed, but not enough to cause damage.