Old 05-05-2006, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Automatic Watering Timers

I have ordered some cheapo tubes and pipes over e-bay (19euro including
postage) to rig up a watering system for me greenhouse. I intend
trying to connect this to a tank (old plastic dustbin to be used as
water butt for greenhouse gutter and/or filled every few days) and to
use a timer like the ones from
http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatal...er_Timers.html

Some of these can be used at pressures of 0.1 to 12 bar.
Does anyone have any experience of any automatic timers?
I need it to be batter operated and able to work at low pressure.
The Claber ones on teh above page look appropriate.

I know one person posted here a few weeks ago with a cheap one
connected to teh mains which broke. I would hate to connect anything
to teh mains and find 2 weeks of water all over the garden when I got
back which is why I want to go for the dustbin method.

Des in soggy Dublin

Old 05-05-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message .com,
writes
I have ordered some cheapo tubes and pipes over e-bay (19euro including
postage) to rig up a watering system for me greenhouse. I intend
trying to connect this to a tank (old plastic dustbin to be used as
water butt for greenhouse gutter and/or filled every few days) and to
use a timer like the ones from
http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatal...er_Timers.html

Some of these can be used at pressures of 0.1 to 12 bar.
Does anyone have any experience of any automatic timers?
I need it to be batter operated and able to work at low pressure.
The Claber ones on teh above page look appropriate.

I had experience of a few Hozelock ones, they mostly all seem to fail
and stop working at some point. I had one Gardena one that seem to keep
working.

I know one person posted here a few weeks ago with a cheap one
connected to teh mains which broke. I would hate to connect anything
to teh mains and find 2 weeks of water all over the garden when I got
back which is why I want to go for the dustbin method.

If the timer fails it's most likely to fail in the off mode. the most
likley scenarios is that it fails and the plants don't get any water.
--
Chris French

Old 05-05-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

chris French wrote:
In message .com,
writes
I have ordered some cheapo tubes and pipes over e-bay (19euro including
postage) to rig up a watering system for me greenhouse. I intend
trying to connect this to a tank (old plastic dustbin to be used as
water butt for greenhouse gutter and/or filled every few days) and to
use a timer like the ones from
http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatal...er_Timers.html

Some of these can be used at pressures of 0.1 to 12 bar.
Does anyone have any experience of any automatic timers?
I need it to be batter operated and able to work at low pressure.
The Claber ones on teh above page look appropriate.

I had experience of a few Hozelock ones, they mostly all seem to fail
and stop working at some point. I had one Gardena one that seem to keep
working.

thanks Chris; what sort of time scale are we talking about here (months
or more than one season?)

Old 05-05-2006, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message .com,
writes

chris French wrote:
In message .com,
writes
I have ordered some cheapo tubes and pipes over e-bay (19euro including
postage) to rig up a watering system for me greenhouse. I intend
trying to connect this to a tank (old plastic dustbin to be used as
water butt for greenhouse gutter and/or filled every few days) and to
use a timer like the ones from
http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatal...er_Timers.html

I had experience of a few Hozelock ones, they mostly all seem to fail
and stop working at some point. I had one Gardena one that seem to keep
working.

thanks Chris; what sort of time scale are we talking about here (months
or more than one season?)

ISTR it was a couple of seasons maybe?
--
Chris French

Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

chris French wrote:
In message .com,
writes

chris French wrote:
In message .com,
writes
I have ordered some cheapo tubes and pipes over e-bay (19euro including
postage) to rig up a watering system for me greenhouse. I intend
trying to connect this to a tank (old plastic dustbin to be used as
water butt for greenhouse gutter and/or filled every few days) and to
use a timer like the ones from
http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatal...er_Timers.html

I had experience of a few Hozelock ones, they mostly all seem to fail
and stop working at some point. I had one Gardena one that seem to keep
working.

thanks Chris; what sort of time scale are we talking about here (months
or more than one season?)

ISTR it was a couple of seasons maybe?

That will do me fine; It is mainly for when we go on holidays and I wil
take it into the house over the winter.

Thanks Chris.
Des

--