Old 06-05-2006, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Default Automatic watering again

I'm just beginning to hope I can plan a system of automatic watering
which involves different areas (greenhouse, polytunnel and pots on
concrete) all of which are fairly close together.

In order to get enough pressure to work sprinklers in all these areas,
I'm assuming that I need a few separate branches and time them to water
one after the other.

I presume that I would need a separate timer for each branch but can't
imagine how this will work if a timer is designed to attach to the tap.
Ideally I need to run a single hose extension for about 30 feet from the
tap and then have an arrangement which divides into four different
branches. Is there some kind of product which would achieve this and
take four different timers?

Any guidance on this would be really appreciated.

Janet G
Old 06-05-2006, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

A walk round your garden centre should find you what you seek.

We have a system in place with a two -way splitter but my husband says you
can get them to split 4 ways with on/off taps.

Sue W.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Old 06-05-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug adams

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
I'm just beginning to hope I can plan a system of automatic watering
which involves different areas (greenhouse, polytunnel and pots on
concrete) all of which are fairly close together.

In order to get enough pressure to work sprinklers in all these areas,
I'm assuming that I need a few separate branches and time them to water
one after the other.

I presume that I would need a separate timer for each branch but can't
imagine how this will work if a timer is designed to attach to the tap.
Ideally I need to run a single hose extension for about 30 feet from the
tap and then have an arrangement which divides into four different
branches. Is there some kind of product which would achieve this and
take four different timers?

Any guidance on this would be really appreciated.

Janet G

**********
Some years ago I had a system whereby a tap fed a hose line along which
were fed hollow spikes which you stuck into the soil near each plant and
each contained a device which monitered the measure of humidity such that
when the soil dried it reached a certain dryness point wherupon a valve
opened and water was released until control until the wetness reached the
shut -off point.
That's all I can remember!. Except that the person running the business
was. - like me, - recently honourably discharged from H.M.'s Royal Air
Force. If anyone discovers the name of the Firm mentioned and it is still
extant, please let me know.
Doug.

**********

Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Registered User

[quote=doug adams]" Ideally I need to run a single hose extension for about 30 feet from the tap and then have an arrangement which divides into four different branches. Is there some kind of product which would achieve this and
take four different timers?[/color]

Gardena make a 5 or 6-way splitter. Connect one hose via a timer to the gizmo, and it'll feed one outlet. Every time the timer sitches off and then on again, the gizmo automatically switches to the next output. All you need to do is to get your timer to switch on/off 4 times, and each area of your garden will get watered with full pressure.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , doug adams
writes
Some years ago I had a system whereby a tap fed a hose line along which
were fed hollow spikes which you stuck into the soil near each plant and
each contained a device which monitered the measure of humidity such that
when the soil dried it reached a certain dryness point wherupon a valve
opened and water was released until control until the wetness reached the
shut -off point.
That's all I can remember!. Except that the person running the business
was. - like me, - recently honourably discharged from H.M.'s Royal Air
Force. If anyone discovers the name of the Firm mentioned and it is still

I doubt it is the same company, but it sounds very similar to the
Blaumat system:

http://www.blumat.info/

--
Chris French

Old 07-05-2006, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message , Janet Galpin
writes
I'm just beginning to hope I can plan a system of automatic watering
which involves different areas (greenhouse, polytunnel and pots on
concrete) all of which are fairly close together.

In order to get enough pressure to work sprinklers in all these areas,
I'm assuming that I need a few separate branches and time them to water
one after the other.

you might, it all depends on the area to be served and the system you
are using.

I presume that I would need a separate timer for each branch but can't
imagine how this will work if a timer is designed to attach to the tap.
Ideally I need to run a single hose extension for about 30 feet from the
tap and then have an arrangement which divides into four different
branches. Is there some kind of product which would achieve this and
take four different timers?

You can get splitters. to fit on taps, to supply different devices etc.
Though I mad made own from a few plumbing fittings, a little bit of
copper pipe and washing machine 'taps'

Another possibility would be to use the this device from Gardena:

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/product/COWD.htm

It automatically feeds different cicuits one after the other.

--
Chris French