Old 13-05-2006, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
serialthrilla

Default Help identifying plant/weed?

Hello to the group,

Can anyone help me identify this plant/weed, that has currently spread to
roughly 2 feet square.

Here is a picture of 2 separate plants within the area that it covers.

http://www.kingsfamily.co.uk/images/weed.jpg
http://www.kingsfamily.co.uk/images/weed2.jpg

Thankyou

Ian
Old 13-05-2006, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

serialthrilla writes
Hello to the group,

Can anyone help me identify this plant/weed, that has currently spread to
roughly 2 feet square.

Here is a picture of 2 separate plants within the area that it covers.

http://www.kingsfamily.co.uk/images/weed.jpg
http://www.kingsfamily.co.uk/images/weed2.jpg

Difficult to tell at this young stage. You say that it has 'currently
spread to roughly 2 ft square' - do you mean this has spread by runners,
or is it more, as appears from the pic, that you have young seedlings in
a 2ft square patch? If the latter, it could be Geum urbanum, but you'd
need to let it grow a bit more to be sure.
--
Kay
Old 13-05-2006, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"K" wrote in message
serialthrilla writes
Hello to the group,

Can anyone help me identify this plant/weed, that has currently spread to
roughly 2 feet square.

Here is a picture of 2 separate plants within the area that it covers.

http://www.kingsfamily.co.uk/images/weed.jpg
http://www.kingsfamily.co.uk/images/weed2.jpg

Difficult to tell at this young stage. You say that it has 'currently
spread to roughly 2 ft square' - do you mean this has spread by runners,
or is it more, as appears from the pic, that you have young seedlings in
a 2ft square patch? If the latter, it could be Geum urbanum, but you'd
need to let it grow a bit more to be sure.
--
Kay

If its Geum urbanum I wouldn't wait to find out, am still failing to get rid
of it 20 years on after getting its seed from the RHS seed list and assuming
it would be interesting, some students revenge for a bad day no doubt!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-05-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham writes

If its Geum urbanum I wouldn't wait to find out, am still failing to get rid
of it 20 years on after getting its seed from the RHS seed list and assuming
it would be interesting, some students revenge for a bad day no doubt!

That's the advantage of gardeners taking an interest in wild flowers -
I'd have known exactly what you were getting ;-)

I find it's very useful to have a wild flower guide at my elbow while
reading the Chiltern catalogue, for similar reasons. (Chiltern are no
different from any other seed merchant in their ability to highlight the
good points of their plants, but they have a more adventurous range than
most)
--
Kay
Old 13-05-2006, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , K
writes
serialthrilla writes
Hello to the group,

Can anyone help me identify this plant/weed, that has currently spread to
roughly 2 feet square.

Here is a picture of 2 separate plants within the area that it covers.

http://www.kingsfamily.co.uk/images/weed.jpg
http://www.kingsfamily.co.uk/images/weed2.jpg

Difficult to tell at this young stage. You say that it has 'currently
spread to roughly 2 ft square' - do you mean this has spread by
runners, or is it more, as appears from the pic, that you have young
seedlings in a 2ft square patch? If the latter, it could be Geum
urbanum, but you'd need to let it grow a bit more to be sure.

The books say that Geum has pinnate leaves, not simple leaves as in the
photos. My first thought was ground-ivy (Glechoma), or a speedwell
(Veronica). Other possibilities, from scanning Keble-Martin, are violets
(Viola) or dead-nettles (Lamium).

The venation pattern doen't seem to be right for Veronica, the Violas
have acute leaf apices and less prominent marginal crenation, and the
leaves of Glechoma have cordate bases. Assuming that I'm not being
misled by juvenile leaves having a different form from those of the
mature plant, I'd plump for henbit dead-nettle (Lamium amplexicaule) or
northern dead-nettle (Lamium intermedium). I've never seen either of
these - henbit dead-nettle is commoner in the east, and northern
dead-nettle in Scotland and Ireland. (And I've found that if I want to
use my image files for plant identification I need to take more
photographs of leaves.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 13-05-2006, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
The books say that Geum has pinnate leaves, not simple leaves as in the
photos.

The young leaves of geum are not pinnate - as they grow the leaf
changes and devide in 3 parts. The stems of geums however are hairy.
The one on the photo is not. Can the OP take a picture of an older
plant? That would help.

Old 13-05-2006, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
serialthrilla writes
Hello to the group,

Can anyone help me identify this plant/weed, that has currently spread to
roughly 2 feet square.

Here is a picture of 2 separate plants within the area that it covers.

http://www.kingsfamily.co.uk/images/weed.jpg
http://www.kingsfamily.co.uk/images/weed2.jpg

Difficult to tell at this young stage. You say that it has 'currently
spread to roughly 2 ft square' - do you mean this has spread by
runners, or is it more, as appears from the pic, that you have young
seedlings in a 2ft square patch? If the latter, it could be Geum
urbanum, but you'd need to let it grow a bit more to be sure.

The books say that Geum has pinnate leaves, not simple leaves as in the
photos.

Geum does indeed have pinnate leaves. But the first few leaves at
seedling stage are simple. I should know - I grow them by the thousand
;-)

My first thought was ground-ivy (Glechoma),

Doesn't look soft enough

or a speedwell (Veronica). Other possibilities, from scanning
Keble-Martin, are violets (Viola)

Wrong leaf texture again, and outline doesn't look quite right - I think
the edge is too indented - oops, you've said that below.

or dead-nettles (Lamium).

The venation pattern doen't seem to be right for Veronica, the Violas
have acute leaf apices and less prominent marginal crenation, and the
leaves of Glechoma have cordate bases. Assuming that I'm not being
misled by juvenile leaves having a different form from those of the
mature plant,

I think you're being misled ;-)

I'd plump for henbit dead-nettle (Lamium amplexicaule) or northern
dead-nettle (Lamium intermedium). I've never seen either of these -
henbit dead-nettle is commoner in the east, and northern dead-nettle in
Scotland and Ireland. (And I've found that if I want to use my image
files for plant identification I need to take more photographs of leaves.)

IF it wasn't for the fact he's got a two ft square patch of the things,
I'd also be thinking of perhaps Heuchera.

--
Kay
Old 13-05-2006, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

[...]

I would go along with the dead nettle suggestion but the roots don't look
quite like any of the Lamiums I have got.
My guess is Lunaria -Honestly:-)

Old 13-05-2006, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I would go along with the dead nettle suggestion but the roots don't look
quite like any of the Lamiums I have got.
My guess is Lunaria -Honestly:-)

Nope. Not lunaria. I'm growing lots of them and they are not like this
at all.

Old 13-05-2006, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

K wrote:
Geum does indeed have pinnate leaves. But the first few leaves at
seedling stage are simple. I should know - I grow them by the thousand
;-)

Ditto ) Got a yellow one this year by accident too. I'm not too happy
though but it'll do.

(snip)

I think you're being misled ;-)

Indeedee. The young leaves are often missleading. I hope the OP will
keep a few and mature one so we can see what develops!

IF it wasn't for the fact he's got a two ft square patch of the things,
I'd also be thinking of perhaps Heuchera.

I'll stick with the geum urbanum. I grow Heuchera and find the first
leaves more pinate than the OP's picture.

This is the first leaves of the geum urbanum - a real pest in my
garden, but I keep a few in the gravel path for softness )

http://cjoint.com/?foab3gipWz

Old 14-05-2006, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
serialthrilla

"La Puce" wrote in
oups.com:

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I would go along with the dead nettle suggestion but the roots don't
look quite like any of the Lamiums I have got.
My guess is Lunaria -Honestly:-)

Nope. Not lunaria. I'm growing lots of them and they are not like this
at all.

A big thankyou to all that have contributed, and as suggested I think I
will leave it for the time being and wait and see what develops.

I shall keep the group (for those interested) updated as the plant grows.

Ian