Old 13-05-2006, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me

Default Garlic

What do you grow them from?
Is it a case of buying a garlic, splitting it into cloves and planting them out?

Me

Old 13-05-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Yes, they are grown from the small cloves, but are best planted in
Autumn. Better to buy the specific seed ones from a garden centre as
the ones in the shop may need longer hotter weatherr than the Uk often
has

Old 13-05-2006, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message . com, Sacha
writes

wrote:
Yes, they are grown from the small cloves, but are best planted in
Autumn. Better to buy the specific seed ones from a garden centre as
the ones in the shop may need longer hotter weatherr than the Uk often
has

And it's worth growing it under roses because the garlic is said to
deter aphids.

Is it? How does it do that? (Not an awkward question - just
interested). Nick may know - he generally does.

--
June Hughes
Old 13-05-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam

Me wrote:
What do you grow them from?
Is it a case of buying a garlic, splitting it into cloves and planting them out?

Me

The old saying was ' plant on the shortest day and harvest on the longest'.
I always buy from a reputable seed merchant. They will only sell ones
suitable for our climate.Garlic from thegreengrocers may have come from
distant lands and may not thrive.
Yes, you split them into cloves and plant them.When first harvested they
are known as 'green garlic' and are at their best.
when dry they will keep for months ( if not eaten first).
Bon appetit !

Sam

Old 13-05-2006, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Garlic from thegreengrocers may have come from
distant lands

like the Isle of Wight ;-)

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 13-05-2006, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods

"BoyPete" wrote:

I've found it deters most friends too

Only the friends that weren't worth having in the first place.

There's some garlic info on my personal page, in the .sig below, though it
has a North American accent. The main adjustment would be that some
hardneck types need a colder winter dormancy than much of the U.K. has.
The previous advice about "get seed garlic from close to home" is
excellent!

Old 13-05-2006, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Gary Woods wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote:

There's some garlic info on my personal page, in the .sig below, though it
has a North American accent. The main adjustment would be that some
hardneck types need a colder winter dormancy than much of the U.K. has.
The previous advice about "get seed garlic from close to home" is
excellent!

I didn't have all my veggie beds ready last year (still digging some of
them today) -- I'm moving the veggie plot and the old beds are probably
going to end up being used for fruit and cutting flowers. Anyhow, my
garlic bulbs were delivered with all my other seeds late last year, so
I just left them in the fridge, eventually planting them out a couple of
months ago. I had a few cloves that had gone mouldy that I had to
discard, but every single clove I planted has come up and is doing very
well. I'm rather pleased

James
Old 14-05-2006, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

June Hughes wrote:
Not at all.

Off course not! I use lots of garlic and it's amazing how many people
keep turning up at diner time ;o)

I hope someone answers my question.

It's the smell. I thought for sometimes that the sap raising through a
rose (or other plants) close to garlic would also pick up on the
garlic. But it's only the smell. It deters aphids and ants. I always
sow my carrots near garlic or leeks too as this deters carrot flies.

Old 16-05-2006, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Dwayne" wrote in message
Yes. I bought them at a grocery store in August. Split the cloves apart,
planted the larger ones and used the smaller ones. By July the following
year (after the tops started turning brown and falling over) I dug them

up,
cured them (by laying them in a warm place in the shade on my deck, so the
air could circulate around them for 10 to 12 days) and then put them in

the
coolest spot of my cellar. Then in August I started the whole process

over
again.

Dwayne (in Kansas)

Be interested to know if it was Isle of Wight Garlic ;-)

Old 17-05-2006, 01:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

I couldn't tell you. It was placed in a bin for resale in a grocery store.
I picked out what I thought would be enough and started there.

Dwayne (in Kansas)

Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
Speaking of garlic... John S. DeBoo Edible Gardening 4 29-05-2003 10:20 PM
Elphant Garlic Bill Edible Gardening 11 29-05-2003 05:20 PM
Wild garlic Chris Hogg United Kingdom 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Does garlic set seed? Robert cubitt United Kingdom 2 20-10-2002 09:39 PM