Old 23-05-2006, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doobydoobydo

Default Mealworms

Hi Sacha

I know you don't want to hear it, but yes it brings in the blackbirds and
robins. The blackbirds take beakfuls of them at once, I counted twenty one
time. The robins take them as well. But best of all at this time of the
year the male robin feeds the female, and the blackbirds feed their
fledgings. A robin actually took one from my hand. Can you really justify
your daughter of such a sight ; ).

The pet shop I bought mine at puts them in empty flora marg tubs, which I
keep in the fridge. When my daughter visits, I ask her to get the marg out
of the fridge for her sandwich and watch her scream, gets her every time.
Hehehehe

PS Sunflower hearts (hearts especially rather than whole ones) will attract
the blue tits, great tits, and green finches............maybe an
alternative.

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
Has anyone here experienced feeding mealworms to the birds in their
garden?
If so, do you think it has increased both the numbers and varieties
visiting
the garden?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-05-2006, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Tue, 23 May 2006 21:04:04 +0100, doobydoobydo wrote
(in article ):

Hi Sacha

I know you don't want to hear it, but yes it brings in the blackbirds and
robins. The blackbirds take beakfuls of them at once, I counted twenty one
time. The robins take them as well. But best of all at this time of the
year the male robin feeds the female, and the blackbirds feed their
fledgings. A robin actually took one from my hand. Can you really justify
your daughter of such a sight ; ).

My daughter is 24 - tough it out. ;-) But yes, we have masses of
blackbirds and robins so maybe I'll have to bite the bullet for their sake.

The pet shop I bought mine at puts them in empty flora marg tubs, which I
keep in the fridge. When my daughter visits, I ask her to get the marg out
of the fridge for her sandwich and watch her scream, gets her every time.
Hehehehe

PS Sunflower hearts (hearts especially rather than whole ones) will attract
the blue tits, great tits, and green finches............maybe an
alternative.

Interesting you say that. I have a seed feeder hanging from my study window,
which is upstairs and today, I watched a coal tit worrying away at it and
apparently hurling unwanted seed to the ground. He finally found a sunflower
seed and flew away with it triumphantly. The feeder full of niger seed
appears to attract everything but not, yet, the green finches we were assured
would go mad for it.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-05-2006, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:12:54 +0100, K wrote
(in article ):

doobydoobydo writes
Hi Sacha

I know you don't want to hear it, but yes it brings in the blackbirds and
robins. The blackbirds take beakfuls of them at once, I counted twenty one
time. The robins take them as well. But best of all at this time of the
year the male robin feeds the female, and the blackbirds feed their
fledgings. A robin actually took one from my hand. Can you really justify
your daughter of such a sight ; ).

The pet shop I bought mine at puts them in empty flora marg tubs, which I
keep in the fridge. When my daughter visits, I ask her to get the marg out
of the fridge for her sandwich and watch her scream, gets her every time.
Hehehehe

PS Sunflower hearts (hearts especially rather than whole ones) will attract
the blue tits, great tits, and green finches............maybe an
alternative.

Blackbirds seem to be very enthusiastic about sultanas and raisins.
Robins like to feed from the ground - grated cheese might tempt them.

snip
I'll try those, thanks. No danger to chicks from sultanas etc. being shoved
down their throats?! At this rate of gourmet feeding, our birds won't be
able to get off the ground.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-05-2006, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
Interesting you say that. I have a seed feeder hanging from my study window,
which is upstairs and today, I watched a coal tit worrying away at it and
apparently hurling unwanted seed to the ground. He finally found a sunflower
seed and flew away with it triumphantly. The feeder full of niger seed
appears to attract everything but not, yet, the green finches we were assured
would go mad for it.

I can confirm that they do - they form the majority of visiting birds
in my garden, and that's what I feed them - when I feed them...
Which brings me to a maybe slightly off topic question: should one
still feed birds this time of year? I haven't refilled the feeders in
over a month, on the basis that grubs and caterpillars are now supposed
to be reasonably plentiful?

Cat(h)

Old 24-05-2006, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 24 May 2006 14:22:41 +0100, Cat(h) wrote
(in article .com):

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that.
From the RSPB site:
When to feed wild birds
Although winter feeding benefits birds most, food shortages can occur at any
time of the year. By feeding year round, we are giving birds a better chance
to survive the periods of food shortage whenever they may occur.
Autumn and winter*
Put out food and water on a regular basis. In severe weather, feed twice
daily if possible, in the morning and in the early afternoon. Birds require
high energy (high fat) foods during the cold winter weather. They need to
maintain their body reserves to survive the frosty nights. All foods listed
in this leaflet are suitable for winter feeding. Use only good quality food
and scraps. Always adjust the quantity given to the demand, and never allow
uneaten foods to accumulate around the feeders. Once you establish a feeding
routine, try not to change it.*
Spring and summer*
Only selected foods should be fed at this time and good hygiene is vital (see
below), or feeding may do more harm than good.*
During the summer months birds require high protein foods, especially while
they are moulting. Black sunflower seeds, pinhead oatmeal, soaked sultanas,
raisins and currants, mild grated cheese, mealworms, waxworms, mixes for
insectivorous birds, good seed mixtures without loose peanuts, RSPB food bars
and summer seed mixture can all be used. Soft apples and pears cut in half,
bananas and grapes are also useful foods. Some people use soaked dog or cat
food and tinned pet foods, but these may attract magpies, crows and cats.
Avoid using peanuts, fat and bread at this time, since these foods can be
harmful if brought to nestlings. If you feel you must put out peanuts, only
do so in suitable mesh feeders that will not allow sizeable pieces of peanuts
to be removed.*

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-05-2006, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha Hubbard writes

Interesting you say that. I have a seed feeder hanging from my study window,
which is upstairs and today, I watched a coal tit worrying away at it and
apparently hurling unwanted seed to the ground. He finally found a sunflower
seed and flew away with it triumphantly. The feeder full of niger seed
appears to attract everything but not, yet, the green finches we were assured
would go mad for it.
--

I think you informant got their finches mixed! It's gold finches that
particularly like nyger seed (it's a thistle type thingy, so close to

Greenfinches are happy on a sunflower seed based mix.
--
Kay
Old 24-05-2006, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" writes

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
Interesting you say that. I have a seed feeder hanging from my study window,
which is upstairs and today, I watched a coal tit worrying away at it and
apparently hurling unwanted seed to the ground. He finally found a sunflower
seed and flew away with it triumphantly. The feeder full of niger seed
appears to attract everything but not, yet, the green finches we were assured
would go mad for it.

I can confirm that they do - they form the majority of visiting birds
in my garden, and that's what I feed them - when I feed them...
Which brings me to a maybe slightly off topic question: should one
still feed birds this time of year? I haven't refilled the feeders in
over a month, on the basis that grubs and caterpillars are now supposed
to be reasonably plentiful?

They're struggling to feed youngsters at this time of year, and seeds
aren't that plentiful yet. September seems to be when demand for bird
feeders is least.

The birds that come to a seed feeder aren't always the ones that can
take grubs and caterpillars - roughly, spiky beaks (many tits) seem to
be good for going after insects, tough beaks (eg greenfinch) are good
for cracking seeds but not so good at insects.

This is not authoritative, but I wonder whether it might be OK to cut
back on the fat balls at this time of year? - they are a more direct
replacement for insect food.
--
Kay
Old 24-05-2006, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha Hubbard writes
On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:12:54 +0100, K wrote
(in article ):

doobydoobydo writes

Blackbirds seem to be very enthusiastic about sultanas and raisins.
Robins like to feed from the ground - grated cheese might tempt them.

snip
I'll try those, thanks. No danger to chicks from sultanas etc. being shoved
down their throats?!

Oh goodness, I don't know! Just how much nannying of birds can one do? I
suppose sultanas aren't too different physically from other things that
might be offered to nestlings (fat grubs for example) whereas peanuts
are much harder than anything else the birds are likely to take at this
time of year. I'm sure there's holes in that argument. Where's Malcolm
when we need him?

--
Kay
Old 25-05-2006, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:34:08 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote
(in article ):

The message
from K contains these words:

They're struggling to feed youngsters at this time of year, and seeds
aren't that plentiful yet.

But even seed-eaters don't feed their hatchlings on seed. Nestlings
require high protein live food to grow to fledging size and strength in
the space of a few weeks.

Janet.

I've bitten the bullet but only halfway. I'll buy the mealworms, The
Daughter will deal with them!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-05-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:33:44 +0100, K wrote
(in article ):

Sacha Hubbard writes

Interesting you say that. I have a seed feeder hanging from my study
window,
which is upstairs and today, I watched a coal tit worrying away at it and
apparently hurling unwanted seed to the ground. He finally found a
sunflower
seed and flew away with it triumphantly. The feeder full of niger seed
appears to attract everything but not, yet, the green finches we were
assured
would go mad for it.
--

I think you informant got their finches mixed! It's gold finches that
particularly like nyger seed (it's a thistle type thingy, so close to
their other favourite of teasel).

Greenfinches are happy on a sunflower seed based mix.

Though strangely enough although goldfinches used to eat from our nyger seed
feeders at a previous house, here they only go for the seeds on the plant,
and the blue tits are feasting on the nyger seed. Nowt so contrary as birds.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 25-05-2006, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Thu, 25 May 2006 10:54:53 +0100, Sally Thompson wrote
(in article et):

On Wed, 24 May 2006 22:33:44 +0100, K wrote
(in article ):

snip
--

I think you informant got their finches mixed! It's gold finches that
particularly like nyger seed (it's a thistle type thingy, so close to
their other favourite of teasel).

Greenfinches are happy on a sunflower seed based mix.

Though strangely enough although goldfinches used to eat from our nyger seed
feeders at a previous house, here they only go for the seeds on the plant,
and the blue tits are feasting on the nyger seed. Nowt so contrary as birds.

Perhaps that's got something to do with the different foods available to them
in different places. Maybe they need to supplement their diet with e.g.
niger seed in one location but not in another?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-05-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:09:45 +0100, Sacha Hubbard wrote
(in article et):

[...]

Yes, I put it down to the fact that there is plenty of "natural" food for the
goldfinches here, where we are pretty lushly rural, whereas in our previous
existence we were in a far more suburban environment.

Old 25-05-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doobydoobydo

Yeah but its so much fun. Today I saw a mother blackbird feeding her two
fledglings and a starling feeding 4 fledglings, that is until blackbird
decided to have a go at the starlings. Feisty little birds blackbirds they
had a go at a Jay the other day, very territorial, I wouldn't have minded
but believe it or not I have never seen a before, couldn't believe how big
they are. Can't stand starlings really - greedy birds- but babies are cute
and look so different.

By the way Sacha I've found UK.rec.birdwatching is a good newsgroup, if you
need to ask anything about birds.

PS it is the goldfinches that love nyger seed its the greenfinches I think
that love the sunflower hearts and sunflowers whole. Don't forget you need
a special feeder for Nyger as it apparently blows away easily. Nyger and
thistle seed hangers have just a slit in the tube rather than a hole.

Some good birdie links
http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/

http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/index.htm

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/index.asp

Sheila

--

I think you informant got their finches mixed! It's gold finches that
particularly like nyger seed (it's a thistle type thingy, so close to
their other favourite of teasel).

Greenfinches are happy on a sunflower seed based mix.

I read this in the nick of time. I'm just about to go down to the local
country store type merchant to buy doggy necessities such as pigs' ears
etc.
and will now add bags of sun flower seeds alone, as well as the mixed seed
and the niger seed and the fat balls and the peanuts....... Honestly,
we're
going to need a mortgage for bird feeding alone!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-05-2006, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from K contains these words:

They're struggling to feed youngsters at this time of year, and seeds
aren't that plentiful yet.

But even seed-eaters don't feed their hatchlings on seed. Nestlings
require high protein live food to grow to fledging size and strength in
the space of a few weeks.

But the adults need feeding too.

(If they don't feed seeds to nestlings, why the worry about peanuts? ;-)
)
--
Kay
Old 25-05-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Thu, 25 May 2006 16:56:47 +0100, doobydoobydo wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Thanks and yes, I'd mixed up my finches! We have a clear plastic tube feeder
for the niger seed and it seems to do the trick of containing that very fine
seed. I've posted at the bird group a couple of times and they are indeed,
very helpful but I do find that most of the fairly simple stuff I 'need to
know' is answered here because most gardeners seem to take a pretty keen
interest in the birds and other wildlife in their own garden or
neighbourhood.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Male Western Blue Bird with 5 mealworms Paddy's Pig[_4_] Garden Photos 1 08-05-2010 01:07 PM
Male Western Blue Bird with 3 mealworms Paddy's Pig[_4_] Garden Photos 0 08-05-2010 03:10 AM
Mealworms Sacha Hubbard United Kingdom 2 24-05-2006 10:31 PM
Mealworms shazzbat United Kingdom 0 23-05-2006 10:40 PM