Old 23-05-2006, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily-of-the-valley

When is the best time to move lily-of-the-valley, please? I have some
in my very small front, but I would like some in my larger back...

Sue O'B

Old 24-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
When is the best time to move lily-of-the-valley, please? I have some
in my very small front, but I would like some in my larger back...

Sue O'B
i am sure that i read somehwhere that you should move them after they have flowered
Old 27-05-2006, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks, I'll try moving them soon, although to the west.

Sue O'B

Old 28-05-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Pentreath

Alan Holmes wrote:

And remember they always travel north so do not plant them on a south facing
fence/wall.

Not sure I understand this - I'm about to plant some. Do you mean that
when they spread of their own accord that they tend to do so only
towards the north?

Old 28-05-2006, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
ups.com...

Alan Holmes wrote:

And remember they always travel north so do not plant them on a south

facing
fence/wall.

Not sure I understand this - I'm about to plant some. Do you mean that
when they spread of their own accord that they tend to do so only
towards the north?

??????
:-)

Dunno 'bout that, ours are spreading across the path to South West..
Mike on the Isle of Wight (Should that make any difference?????)

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 28-05-2006, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
"Martin Pentreath" writes:
| Alan Holmes wrote:
|
| And remember they always travel north so do not plant them on a south facing
| fence/wall.
|
| Not sure I understand this - I'm about to plant some. Do you mean that
| when they spread of their own accord that they tend to do so only
| towards the north?

They don't like hot, dry or sunny conditions during their growing season
(spring and early summer). They prefer half shade to full, light shade.
Much like bluebells.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-05-2006, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Galpin writes:

| They don't like hot, dry or sunny conditions during their growing season
| (spring and early summer). They prefer half shade to full, light shade.
| Much like bluebells.
|
| I have some Lily-of-the Valley growing in quite dense shade. They are
| spreading happily but not flowering. Is this is likely to be lack of
| light?

Could be.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-05-2006, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
K writes:

| I have some Lily-of-the Valley growing in quite dense shade. They are
| spreading happily but not flowering. Is this is likely to be lack of
| light?
|
| I wouldn't have thought so. I have some in a north facing garden under a
| magnolia stellata with branches to the ground, and more under a dwarf
| willow - both sets flowering well

Both are deciduous, so there will be light and water in spring. Even
bluebells don't do well under evergreens, even when there is plenty of
water.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-05-2006, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
K writes:

| I have some Lily-of-the Valley growing in quite dense shade. They are
| spreading happily but not flowering. Is this is likely to be lack of
| light?
|
| I wouldn't have thought so. I have some in a north facing garden under a
| magnolia stellata with branches to the ground, and more under a dwarf
| willow - both sets flowering well

Both are deciduous, so there will be light and water in spring. Even
bluebells don't do well under evergreens, even when there is plenty of
water.

Both had good leaf cover before the lily of the valley appeared, so I'm
not sure how valid the argument about light is. Water is likely to be
the key factor.
--
Kay
Old 29-05-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
K writes:

| Both are deciduous, so there will be light and water in spring. Even
| bluebells don't do well under evergreens, even when there is plenty of
| water.
|
| Both had good leaf cover before the lily of the valley appeared, so I'm
| not sure how valid the argument about light is. Water is likely to be
| the key factor.

Could well be, but they still wouldn't make dense shade - there is a
world of difference between the shade under such things and under, say,
solid holly or conifers. They (like bluebells etc.) certainly thrive
on a fraction the amount of light that most grasses need, but I have
never seen any photosynthetic plant do well in the UK in dense shade
(unicellular algae excluded), water or no water.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-05-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
K writes:

| Both are deciduous, so there will be light and water in spring. Even
| bluebells don't do well under evergreens, even when there is plenty of
| water.
|
| Both had good leaf cover before the lily of the valley appeared, so I'm
| not sure how valid the argument about light is. Water is likely to be
| the key factor.

Could well be, but they still wouldn't make dense shade - there is a
world of difference between the shade under such things and under, say,
solid holly or conifers.

I'd agree with you about the magnolia, but the willow is a relatively
dwarf one with incredibly dense foliage in many layers - it's certainly
denser shade than the nearby holly. I'd have thought it was comparable
to a juniper with a metre and a half clearance - that's if I've read
Janet's post correctly.

--
Kay
Old 29-05-2006, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
K writes:

| Both are deciduous, so there will be light and water in spring. Even
| bluebells don't do well under evergreens, even when there is plenty of
| water.
|
| Both had good leaf cover before the lily of the valley appeared, so I'm
| not sure how valid the argument about light is. Water is likely to be
| the key factor.

Could well be, but they still wouldn't make dense shade - there is a
world of difference between the shade under such things and under, say,
solid holly or conifers. They (like bluebells etc.) certainly thrive
on a fraction the amount of light that most grasses need, but I have
never seen any photosynthetic plant do well in the UK in dense shade
(unicellular algae excluded), water or no water.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Just to complicate things my Lily -of -the -valley do fine (too fine) in
full sun
They are a perennial weed which run several metres each year. I admit that
they are partly shaded by up and coming perennials.
Of much more importance to me is your comment about no plants doing well in
dense shade. Can you clarify your comment as I think I have several plants
which prefer dense shade ?

Lily of the Valley 'Pips' planting advice ZoeM United Kingdom 0 03-04-2005 08:08 PM
Lily Of The Valley - Planting Advice Sought Mike B United Kingdom 14 08-11-2004 11:03 AM
Lily of the Valley Gardening 13 25-05-2004 02:03 AM
Lily of the Valley 'pips'? Frogleg Gardening 4 26-04-2004 08:04 PM
Lily of the Valley Leslie Stringer United Kingdom 16 30-09-2003 08:13 PM