Old 24-05-2006, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default Will it never end................?

Useless whingeing, I know but it's absolutely hammering it down this evening.
The wind is getting up and it's too damned cold! We have had the CH off for
only a very brief period earlier this month and last night we lit a log fire
to cheer things up a bit! Any cheer, anywhere? I do have to admit that
Ray is chuckling a bit at the doomers and gloomers in the SW who took the
drought of the SE to their hearts and started telling us that it was going to
be necessary to eschew hanging baskets and plant drought resistant plants in
'sunny' Devon! If only one could transplant houses and businesses as easily
as plants!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-05-2006, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
madgardener

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yer getting that "Blackberry" monsoon winter we just
had the last two weeks. rain, rain rain..........cooler than normal
temperatures, low's in the upper 30's F and low 40's, one day our high was
only 56oF ! brrrr. we turned on our furnace again, closed the winder's and
I went back to jeans and tee shirts with shoes and socks. Now the rains
have held off for a few days and it's humid and drying out, the **** ants
are lingering everywhere in their desperation to run to higher grounds (my
house, my van.......) and now that the clay is losing all that excess
moisture, they need to return to the wilds....... temperatures now promised
to get in the mid 70's F and upper 80's by Memorial Day
Sunday.........possibly the first day that hits 90oF !!!! whew! my
perennials will go insane!

at least with the cooler temperatures your flowers will last a bit longer.
the front will hopefully move out soon and you'll be back to normal
temperatures. and rain is always a good thing, right? we got so much rain,
I lost a few sempervivums that were originally very happy in their
containers. despite the pea gravel as a mulch underneath their fat leaves,
and the fast draining soils, when you get over 15 inches of rain in two
weeks.........................it resembles a rain forest around here in
Fairy Holler LOL
maddie
al.net...

Old 24-05-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

Sacha Hubbard writes

Useless whingeing, I know but it's absolutely hammering it down this evening.
The wind is getting up and it's too damned cold!

All my fault, I'm afraid ... It was quite respectable, sunny, blue
skies, so I hung out a throw to dry ... within two minutes we has a
massive hailstorm ;-(((

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 24-05-2006, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

madgardener writes
temperatures now promised to get in the mid 70's F and upper 80's by
Memorial Day Sunday.........possibly the first day that hits 90oF !!!!
whew! my perennials will go insane!

Ooh - it's been cold and wet for so long now, even the 80s seem
unimaginable, let alone the 90s ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 24-05-2006, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Klara
writes
madgardener writes
temperatures now promised to get in the mid 70's F and upper 80's by
Memorial Day Sunday.........possibly the first day that hits 90oF !!!!
whew! my perennials will go insane!

Ooh - it's been cold and wet for so long now, even the 80s seem
unimaginable, let alone the 90s ...

Then you are to blame It has been miserable here today but still
quite warm.
--
June Hughes

Old 24-05-2006, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...

Useless whingeing, I know but it's absolutely hammering it down this
evening.
The wind is getting up and it's too damned cold! We have had the CH off
for
only a very brief period earlier this month and last night we lit a log
fire
to cheer things up a bit! Any cheer, anywhere? I do have to admit that
Ray is chuckling a bit at the doomers and gloomers in the SW who took the
drought of the SE to their hearts and started telling us that it was going
be necessary to eschew hanging baskets and plant drought resistant plants
in
'sunny' Devon! If only one could transplant houses and businesses as
easily
as plants!

In East Berks it has been pouring with rain for most of the day, and when
you can get out the wind freezes the things off you!

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-05-2006, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 24 May 2006 18:30:11 +0100, Klara wrote
(in article ):

Sacha Hubbard writes

Useless whingeing, I know but it's absolutely hammering it down this
evening.
The wind is getting up and it's too damned cold!

All my fault, I'm afraid ... It was quite respectable, sunny, blue
skies, so I hung out a throw to dry ... within two minutes we has a
massive hailstorm ;-(((

Tsk! That's only one rank lower than washing your car in terms of inviting
trouble!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-05-2006, 03:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

"K" wrote in message
Sacha Hubbard writes

Useless whingeing, I know but it's absolutely hammering it down this
evening.
The wind is getting up and it's too damned cold! We have had the CH off
for
only a very brief period earlier this month and last night we lit a log
fire
to cheer things up a bit! Any cheer, anywhere? I do have to admit that
Ray is chuckling a bit at the doomers and gloomers in the SW who took the
drought of the SE to their hearts and started telling us that it was going
be necessary to eschew hanging baskets and plant drought resistant plants
in
'sunny' Devon! If only one could transplant houses and businesses as
easily
as plants!

Glorious evening here (Yorks) - sunshine, scent of flowers, birds singing
... :-0
--
Kay

Had to fill my water butts and the kids pool a few weeks back whilst
suffering 3rd degree burns and sunstroke in the process :-)), it always
pains me coz we're on a water meter, "and wouldn't you know it" Sods law
adding insult to injury.

--

Regards
p.mc

Old 25-05-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:06:51 +0100, K wrote
(in article ):

Sacha Hubbard writes

Useless whingeing, I know but it's absolutely hammering it down this
evening.
The wind is getting up and it's too damned cold! businesses as easily
as plants!

snip

Glorious evening here (Yorks) - sunshine, scent of flowers, birds
singing ... :-0

LOL! Make the most of it......... ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-05-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
Useless whingeing, I know but it's absolutely hammering it down this evening.
The wind is getting up and it's too damned cold! We have had the CH off for
only a very brief period earlier this month and last night we lit a log fire
to cheer things up a bit! Any cheer, anywhere? I do have to admit that
Ray is chuckling a bit at the doomers and gloomers in the SW who took the
drought of the SE to their hearts and started telling us that it was going to
be necessary to eschew hanging baskets and plant drought resistant plants in
'sunny' Devon! If only one could transplant houses and businesses as easily
as plants!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
email address on web site

It was really awful here in DUblin on Sunday and Monday; it was cold
and stormy and torrentially wet. Anything we planted over the past 2
weeks just sits there getting soggy and eaten by slugs. Ironically,
yesterday and today (wed and thurs) were forecast to be wet and windy
but the sun is now splitting the skies.

Old 26-05-2006, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Fidell

Sacha Hubbard wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2006 23:06:51 +0100, K wrote
(in article ):

Sacha Hubbard writes
Useless whingeing, I know but it's absolutely hammering it down this
evening.
The wind is getting up and it's too damned cold! businesses as easily
as plants!

snip
Glorious evening here (Yorks) - sunshine, scent of flowers, birds
singing ... :-0

LOL! Make the most of it......... ;-)

We had quite a nice day here yesterday (not *that* far from you). It's
all gone pear-shaped again today though. I'm rather sick of it myself.

On the bright side, at least it hasn't been bitterly cold like it was
last May, so despite the high winds and wet weather, our fruit trees
still have their blossom and fruit forming.

James