Old 29-05-2006, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wigelia - move

notpastityet? wrote:
I have a garden which I did not create.

In it there is a wigelia. Its by a coal bunker, not a good position as it
was constantly getting broken down , so I chopped it! I had thought it
would die but now its growing back from the base.

Can I move it? How wide is the root system likely to be? Will it stand
being dug up and shifted?

Its probably a few years old - at least seven I would imagine.

I THINK Weigelas take easily from cuttings. The simplest answer is
sometimes to make a new plant and, after it is established, just kill
the old one/dig it out?

Old 30-05-2006, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

notpastityet? wrote:
I have a garden which I did not create.

In it there is a wigelia. Its by a coal bunker, not a good position as it
was constantly getting broken down , so I chopped it! I had thought it
would die but now its growing back from the base.

Can I move it? How wide is the root system likely to be? Will it stand
being dug up and shifted?

Its probably a few years old - at least seven I would imagine.

I had one in the wrong place its been in a temporary pot for 2 years now
and is just flowering. I think you will struggle to kill it.

Paul
Old 31-05-2006, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

notpastityet? wrote:
I have a garden which I did not create.
In it there is a wigelia. Its by a coal bunker, not a good position as it
was constantly getting broken down , so I chopped it! I had thought it
would die but now its growing back from the base.
Can I move it? How wide is the root system likely to be? Will it stand
being dug up and shifted?
Its probably a few years old - at least seven I would imagine.

Like Paul say they are tough! I had one in the ground at my old house.
Moved it in a pot for 2 years, then put it in the ground about 6 years
ago and 2 years ago moved it to the lotty. I promise the poor thing I
won't move it again. You don't tell us how big it was before you've
chopped it so not sure about your root system. I move stuff around when
they are dormant - but if you want to move it now you could risk it
with just the little growth at the base. You won't get any flowers this
year though. Mine is a deep pink one.

Old 31-05-2006, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ornata

notpastityet? wrote:
I have a garden which I did not create.

In it there is a wigelia. Its by a coal bunker, not a good position as it
was constantly getting broken down , so I chopped it! I had thought it
would die but now its growing back from the base.

Can I move it? How wide is the root system likely to be? Will it stand
being dug up and shifted?

Its probably a few years old - at least seven I would imagine.

I've moved one several times, at different times of the year, and it
never complained. (I've got rid of it completely now, because in my
opinion they are sprawling, ugly brutes and I hate the combination my
one had of deep pink buds and sickly pale pink flowers.)

Old 31-05-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Ornata" wrote in message
ups.com...

notpastityet? wrote:
I have a garden which I did not create.

In it there is a wigelia. Its by a coal bunker, not a good position as it
was constantly getting broken down , so I chopped it! I had thought it
would die but now its growing back from the base.

Can I move it? How wide is the root system likely to be? Will it stand
being dug up and shifted?

Its probably a few years old - at least seven I would imagine.

I've moved one several times, at different times of the year, and it
never complained. (I've got rid of it completely now, because in my
opinion they are sprawling, ugly brutes and I hate the combination my
one had of deep pink buds and sickly pale pink flowers.)

Quite true of some but there are many to choose from which are very neat and
have different colours. There is a small white variety which is very neat
and looks like a fluffy snowball at this time of year--I can't remember the
exact name.

Old 01-06-2006, 06:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
notpastityet?

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

notpastityet? wrote:
I have a garden which I did not create.
In it there is a wigelia. Its by a coal bunker, not a good position as

it
was constantly getting broken down , so I chopped it! I had thought it
would die but now its growing back from the base.
Can I move it? How wide is the root system likely to be?

Ah, the height was about three feet before I chopped it and the main stem
about 2" diameter. All new growth is at ground level ( shoots are between
four and six inches now. I doubt it will flower this year anyway. It didn't
flower well before for that matter, it was leggy and as I said, constantly
being damaged.

I feel sorry for it because as it has survived the chop, it deserves a
chance at life but it has to be elsewhere in the garden. I thought I had
killed it.