Old 11-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Essjay001

Default Wild birds

Just so all the cat lovers know, cats a responsible for 55 MILLION wild bird
deaths per year according to the TV last night.

Old 11-04-2003, 04:24 PM
BAC

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Just so all the cat lovers know, cats a responsible for 55 MILLION wild

bird
deaths per year according to the TV last night.

Don't tell that woman who traps and kills magpies, or all Hell could break
loose :-)

Old 11-04-2003, 04:34 PM
Bart Bailey

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:36:43 +0000 (UTC), "Essjay001"
wrote:

Just so all the cat lovers know, cats a responsible for 55 MILLION wild bird
deaths per year according to the TV last night.

How many cats succumb to vehicles per annum? ;-)

Road Kill Cat

the road kill cat didn't cross at the green
a big truck was coming, that couldn't be seen
to the left,
to the right
this cat didn't look
and now poor splat is as flat as a book

Copyright ©2002 amy jaye

Bart
Old 11-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Essjay001

Bart Bailey scribbled:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:36:43 +0000 (UTC), "Essjay001"
wrote:

Just so all the cat lovers know, cats are responsible for 55 MILLION
wild bird deaths per year according to the TV last night.

How many cats succumb to vehicles per annum? ;-)

Not 55 Million I'll bet and I doubt the number is very great at all.

However, talking Roadkill on a 5 mile strech of road between Mile Elm and
Melksham, in Wilts15 Badgers, 3 foxes, numerous Hedgehogs and several
Pheasants in just 2 months, each of which is more important than any
pampered cat.

Steve R

Old 11-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Bigjon

Recently, Essjay001 uttered:

Bart Bailey scribbled:

wrote:

Just so all the cat lovers know, cats are responsible for 55 MILLION
wild bird deaths per year according to the TV last night.

How many cats succumb to vehicles per annum? ;-)

Not 55 Million I'll bet and I doubt the number is very great at all.

However, talking Roadkill on a 5 mile strech of road between Mile Elm and
Melksham, in Wilts15 Badgers, 3 foxes, numerous Hedgehogs and several
Pheasants in just 2 months, each of which is more important than any
pampered cat.

Steve R

All creatures are as important as each other. To revere or denigrate one
species over another is rather hypocritical. If you care about the "15
Badgers, 3 foxes, numerous Hedgehogs and several Pheasants" that are
killed, you should care about the cats, frogs, deer, rabbits etc etc that
are also roadkill. To single out one lower species just because you
consider yourself to be at the top of the food chain is inhumane and
immoral.
IMO...
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
It's all on http://support.microsoft.com/ somewhere....

Old 11-04-2003, 06:08 PM
Essjay001

Bigjon scribbled:

SNIP
All creatures are as important as each other.

To revere or denigrate one species over another is rather hypocritical.

IYO but not mine.Cats are in the main farmed to lead pampered lives.
I doubt if many cats have to run the gauntlet of surviving day-to-day on
their wits

If you care about the "15 Badgers, 3 foxes, numerous Hedgehogs and

several Pheasants"
that are killed, you should care about the frogs, deer, rabbits etc etc

that are also roadkill.
I do but those I mentioned are just the ones I have seen on my way to work
in the morning on one single strech of road. Sorry about cats but I cannot
get all emotional about these parasites.

To single out one lower species just because you consider yourself to be

at the top of the
food chain is inhumane and immoral.

I do not single cats out because "I consider myself to be at the top of the
food chain". Were that the case I would eat cat in England just as I have
eaten cat abroad.
Cats are an unannounced pest. If people cannot keep them under control they
should not be allowed to keep them. I am not inhumane or immoral, just
practical.

Old 11-04-2003, 06:56 PM

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Just so all the cat lovers know, cats a responsible for 55 MILLION wild

bird
deaths per year according to the TV last night.

To put this in context, from the RSPB web site:

'Estimates of how many creatures are killed by cats each year vary
significantly. The most recent figures are from the Mammal Society, which
estimates that the UK's cats catch up to 275 million prey items a year, of
which 55 million are birds'

'Despite the large numbers of birds killed, there is no scientific evidence
that predation by cats in gardens is having any impact on bird populations
UK wide. This may be surprising, but many millions of birds die naturally
every year, mainly through starvation, disease, or other forms of predation.
There is evidence that cats tend to take weak or sickly birds. We also know
that of the millions of baby birds hatched each year, most will die before
they reach breeding age. This is also quite natural, and each pair needs
only to rear two young that survive to breeding age to replace themselves
and maintain the population. It is likely that most of the birds killed by
cats would have died anyway from other causes before the next breeding
season, so cats are unlikely to have a major impact on populations.'

My own cats prefer to hunt cat food and it is the sparrowhawk that takes
birds in my garden.

Colin Bignell

Old 11-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Rod

"Essjay001" wrote in message ...
Just so all the cat lovers know, cats a responsible for 55 MILLION wild bird
deaths per year according to the TV last night.

So?
This is not an appropriate place for posts of this nature.
Lets talk gardening.

Rod

Old 11-04-2003, 07:20 PM
The Q

Well It's sort of gardening, One Sparrow hawk didn't catch many birds
yesterday... He was in my green house!!! Unfortunately He took a shortcut on
the way in .... straight through a 2X2 pane... glass everywhere. when I got
home I picked him off of the ground, still stunned. Once I was sure He
was Ok he flew off. He did frighten a few pigeons away which was good I
suppose!
The Q

Old 11-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Bart Bailey

wrote:

[...]

Does that pan-species concern extend to all the insects that accumulated
on his windshield as he motored along counting the roadkill? g

Bart

Old 11-04-2003, 10:08 PM
david

"cats a responsible for 55 MILLION wild bird deaths per year."

So if one in 4 of them laid 6 eggs each year and the average life of each
bird is 4 years, that's 95 million extra birds in year one, 625 million in
year 2, 3,750 million in year 3,
and if each bird deposits just half an ounce of droppings a day, year 3
would result in more than 520,000 tons of droppings A DAY.
All I can say is thank heaven for cats.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 11-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Jayne

Cat's killing birds is somewhat avoidable. I have 2 cats - they both wear
collars with bells & are kept in at night. Apparently most birds are killed
by cats at dawn & dusk, so if the cats are inside during that time they are
less likely to catch them.
Mice, however are a different story - if it wasn't for the cats we'd be over
run.

Old 11-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Bigjon

Recently, Rod uttered:

"Essjay001" wrote in message ...
Just so all the cat lovers know, cats a responsible for 55 MILLION wild bird
deaths per year according to the TV last night.

So?
This is not an appropriate place for posts of this nature.
Lets talk gardening.

Rod

Are you a Moderator? If not, don't read it if it offends you.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Bigjon

Recently, Jayne uttered:

"Essjay001" wrote in message
Just so all the cat lovers know, cats a responsible for 55 MILLION wild

bird
deaths per year according to the TV last night.

I agree, 100%. Having been forced to live on the edge of a notoriously
badly designed and run council estate, we were overrun with mice and rats
at first. Our cats are a godsend, and keep them at bay. Without them, we
would be suffering who knows what damage and disease ( that is not to say I
agree with killing mice and rats, but they are part of the felines natural
prey ). The damage a few mice & rats can do in a small garden is
unimaginable unless you have seen it.... We now live with a garden that has
a six foot fence all around it, and it's heaven - we can shut out the rest
of the world and relax in peace thanks to our felines !