Old 02-06-2006, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DavePoole Torquay

Default Here comes summer!

It rose to the mid 20's here yesterday and by 8.30 am today it had
reached 21C and is rising fast. At last some decent warm weather and
better still, there's a southerly airflow settling over this part of
the south coast with more of the same for the new 4 or 5 days.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 09:07:07 +0100, DavePoole Torquay wrote
(in article . com):

It rose to the mid 20's here yesterday and by 8.30 am today it had
reached 21C and is rising fast. At last some decent warm weather and
better still, there's a southerly airflow settling over this part of
the south coast with more of the same for the new 4 or 5 days.

It's gorgeous. Everything that was just thinking about it is bursting into
flower. The water lilies have suddenly shot to the surface and the hanging
baskets that haven't been picked up yet are filling the green house with
colour and scent.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 02-06-2006, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Me here

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
ups.com...
It rose to the mid 20's here yesterday and by 8.30 am today it had
reached 21C and is rising fast. At last some decent warm weather and
better still, there's a southerly airflow settling over this part of
the south coast with more of the same for the new 4 or 5 days.

"Whoooooosh"

There it goes....

Overcast and euuuurch in NW Kent

Old 02-06-2006, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Me here wrote:
"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
ups.com...
It rose to the mid 20's here yesterday and by 8.30 am today it had
reached 21C and is rising fast. At last some decent warm weather and
better still, there's a southerly airflow settling over this part of
the south coast with more of the same for the new 4 or 5 days.

"Whoooooosh"
There it goes....
Overcast and euuuurch in NW Kent

AAaaarghhh.... it's trying hard here in Manc. We had such a beautiful
evening last night. Please somebody, bring back the sunshine ....sob

Old 02-06-2006, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
ups.com...
It rose to the mid 20's here yesterday and by 8.30 am today it had
reached 21C and is rising fast. At last some decent warm weather and
better still, there's a southerly airflow settling over this part of
the south coast with more of the same for the new 4 or 5 days.

Well it's not half bad up here too. All five cats have taken up their
strategic sunbathing positions. I will probably have to join them cos my
back has not yet recovered from digging big holes for big plants. Perhaps I
might manage to declutter the house of all those plants that have been
waiting for a few sunny days (a sure way to get a frost forecast)

Old 02-06-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
ups.com...
It rose to the mid 20's here yesterday and by 8.30 am today it had
reached 21C and is rising fast. At last some decent warm weather and
better still, there's a southerly airflow settling over this part of
the south coast with more of the same for the new 4 or 5 days.

Well it's not half bad up here too. All five cats have taken up their
strategic sunbathing positions. I will probably have to join them cos my
back has not yet recovered from digging big holes for big plants. Perhaps I
might manage to declutter the house of all those plants that have been
waiting for a few sunny days (a sure way to get a frost forecast)

If bl**dy freezing here in North Staffordshire. All I can say thank
goodness for global warming else we would be up to our knees in snow and
sub zero temperatures. :-)

Old 02-06-2006, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 09:07:07 +0100, DavePoole Torquay wrote
(in article . com):

It rose to the mid 20's here yesterday and by 8.30 am today it had
reached 21C and is rising fast. At last some decent warm weather and
better still, there's a southerly airflow settling over this part of
the south coast with more of the same for the new 4 or 5 days.

Not quite like that in East Berkshire, yesterday was the middle of winter,
the day before that was spring, today seems to be a bit summery, will have
to wait until I wake up in the morning to find out what tomorrow will bring!

Alan

Old 02-06-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DavePoole Torquay

Just to rub it in, a much welcolmed sea breeze set in around mid-day
and pegged it to 26C. Bananas have grown visibly since this morning
and their leaves are once more expanding by nearly a foot a day. Sacha
- that Solanum opened its first flower today - rich purple blue and a
full 2.5 inches across. Can't wait till there's 20 or so of them in a
truss all out at the same time.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 14:34:23 +0100, Ann Heanes wrote
(in article ):

"Broadback" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

It's been a fantastic day here in Shropshire, temperature up to 23.4.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

DavePoole Torquay wrote:
Just to rub it in, a much welcolmed sea breeze set in around mid-day
and pegged it to 26C. Bananas have grown visibly since this morning
and their leaves are once more expanding by nearly a foot a day. Sacha
- that Solanum opened its first flower today - rich purple blue and a
full 2.5 inches across. Can't wait till there's 20 or so of them in a
truss all out at the same time.

You won't rub it in - by 11am the sun came out in a superbe blue sky
and we all were in our Ts digging by 1pm - by 3pm we had finished
lining the pond (I reassure you 3sqm) at the allotment and the kids
were glowing. We took our diner and wine into the garden tonight and
the kids have just come in after a water fight. Nearly 10pm, one of
many great summer's eve and we've been promised a similar day tomorrow
but Sunday will bring some showers. Bring them on, the gardens need it
)

Old 02-06-2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 21:44:29 +0100, DavePoole Torquay wrote
(in article .com):

Just to rub it in, a much welcolmed sea breeze set in around mid-day
and pegged it to 26C. Bananas have grown visibly since this morning
and their leaves are once more expanding by nearly a foot a day. Sacha
- that Solanum opened its first flower today - rich purple blue and a
full 2.5 inches across. Can't wait till there's 20 or so of them in a
truss all out at the same time.

That's the S. wendlandii you picked up the other day? I think you have S.
rantonettii, too? If the former, I hope it doesn't claw you to death first,
fabulously lovely though it is. I moved a couple around in the prop. house
the other day and was lucky to retain my arms, legs and eyesight!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-06-2006, 02:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DavePoole Torquay

Sacha wrote:

That's the S. wendlandii you picked up the other day? I think you have S.
rantonettii, too?

Yes the wendlandii - it looks very promising and will respond well to a
feeding regime similar to that usually afforded tomatoes. Although the
flowers are similar in shape and colour, I'm no great fan of
rantonettii. As a plant, it is comparatively dull, with fewer flowers
carried smaller trusses less freely. A bit of a 'ho-hum' plant in my
book.

The only other Solanum I have now is laciniatum, which has rather
pleasingly divided leaves and breathtaking masses of intense blue
flowers especially in early summer. It makes a large, rather loose
growing shrub that needs heroic pruning to keep it in check. Every 4
or 5 years it exhausts itself and has to be replaced with a youngster.
Since it sows itself about with weed-like profligacy, finding a
replacement is never a problem.

If the former, I hope it doesn't claw you to death first,
fabulously lovely though it is. I moved a couple around in the prop. house
the other day and was lucky to retain my arms, legs and eyesight!

Well, it's in good company here and significantly less dangerous than
Yucca aloifolia or the clump of Puyas near to the back door. Those two
are lethal and capable of inflicting serious injury. It has a good
spot where it won't be brushed against and although it is in shade for
the first part of the day, it gets a thorough baking from 1pm. until
sunset.