Old 04-06-2006, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default decking's a dodle

Today we made a huge double bench platform sun lounging thing and we
are very pleased with it indeed. The holly tree will never look the
same again. I don't want to varnish it though - nor paint it - and the
weather proof coating that we get are so dark, I can't find something I
like. Any ideas what we should put on it to protect it? I thought this
type of decking was already weather proof, but my other half wants to
put something on it ...

http://cjoint.com/?gexYivIfNq

http://cjoint.com/?gexYTiqLzl

http://cjoint.com/?gexZpAg3k7

http://cjoint.com/?gexZ28sYsa

http://cjoint.com/?gex0FWK4JO

Old 05-06-2006, 05:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave or stella @ stejonda

In message . com, La
Puce writes
Today we made a huge double bench platform sun lounging thing and we
are very pleased with it indeed. The holly tree will never look the
same again. I don't want to varnish it though - nor paint it - and the
weather proof coating that we get are so dark, I can't find something I
like. Any ideas what we should put on it to protect it? I thought this
type of decking was already weather proof, but my other half wants to
put something on it ...

http://cjoint.com/?gexYivIfNq

http://cjoint.com/?gexYTiqLzl

The page cannot be displayed

dave or stella @ stejonda
Old 05-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Registered User

[quote=La Puce]Today we made a huge double bench platform sun lounging thing and we
are very pleased with it indeed. The holly tree will never look the
same again. I don't want to varnish it though - nor paint it - and the
weather proof coating that we get are so dark, I can't find something I
like. Any ideas what we should put on it to protect it? I thought this
type of decking was already weather proof, but my other half wants to
put something on it ...

We finished ours the weekend too. I bought some stuff by Ronseal, cant think of the exact name till i see the tin but i think its called something like decking protector. Its a combination of a bit of stain, and stuff to protect which is why i bought it. I had the light oak colour. I think there is also something called decking oil which as far as i know doesnt contain stain but i just wanted a light colout to tone down some of the variation that the wood naturally has,
Old 05-06-2006, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
Today we made a huge double bench platform sun lounging thing and we
are very pleased with it indeed. The holly tree will never look the
same again. I don't want to varnish it though - nor paint it - and the
weather proof coating that we get are so dark, I can't find something I
like. Any ideas what we should put on it to protect it? I thought this
type of decking was already weather proof, but my other half wants to
put something on it ...
http://cjoint.com/?gexYivIfNq
http://cjoint.com/?gexYTiqLzl
http://cjoint.com/?gexZpAg3k7
http://cjoint.com/?gexZ28sYsa
http://cjoint.com/?gex0FWK4JO

Untreated it will probably go green eventually :~(

Cuprinol have wood preserving stuff:
http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/d..._overview.html
Atlantic Spray or Driftwood would go well with the pick door "~)

At this seems to leave the colour as it is... http://www.woodsealants.com/

Jenny

Old 05-06-2006, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:44:01 +0100, JennyC wrote
(in article ):
snip

Untreated it will probably go green eventually :~(

Cuprinol have wood preserving stuff:
http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/d..._overview.html
Atlantic Spray or Driftwood would go well with the pick door "~)

At this seems to leave the colour as it is... http://www.woodsealants.com/

The best stuff is Danish Oil. It's what sailing types use for teak decking
because it doesn't stain and it feeds the wood, too. And it isn't like
horrible varnish which has to be rubbed down and renewed laboriously every
few years.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-06-2006, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...
On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:44:01 +0100, JennyC wrote
(in article ):
snip

Untreated it will probably go green eventually :~(

Cuprinol have wood preserving stuff:
http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/d..._overview.html
Atlantic Spray or Driftwood would go well with the pick door "~)

At this seems to leave the colour as it is...
http://www.woodsealants.com/

The best stuff is Danish Oil. It's what sailing types use for teak
decking
because it doesn't stain and it feeds the wood, too. And it isn't like
horrible varnish which has to be rubbed down and renewed laboriously every
few years.

It is great stuff for wood - but be careful when using it as any cloths
soaked in it can spontaneously combust if left to dry out......

Old 05-06-2006, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:
Cuprinol have wood preserving stuff:
http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/d..._overview.html
Atlantic Spray or Driftwood would go well with the pick door "~)
At this seems to leave the colour as it is... http://www.woodsealants.com/

HOoouuu you're right - the driftwood grey is quite nice, so is the
atlantic spray. I've never seen these colours - all we've had so far
are different browns and I really don't want any more. Thanks Jenny )

Old 05-06-2006, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

adm wrote:
"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
The best stuff is Danish Oil.

Thanks Sacha - that or the grey driftwood look is my two favorite
choices.

It is great stuff for wood - but be careful when using it as any cloths
soaked in it can spontaneously combust if left to dry out......

Blimey! I'll not mention this to the kids then ;o)

Old 05-06-2006, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

dave or stella @ stejonda wrote:
http://cjoint.com/?gexYivIfNq
http://cjoint.com/?gexYTiqLzl

The page cannot be displayed

Just tried it and it works ... ?!

Old 05-06-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave or stella @ stejonda

In message , adm
writes
The best stuff is Danish Oil. It's what sailing types use for teak
decking
because it doesn't stain and it feeds the wood, too. And it isn't like
horrible varnish which has to be rubbed down and renewed laboriously every
few years.

Would Danish Oil be good for a cedar arch? Would it be detrimental to
plant-life?

It is great stuff for wood - but be careful when using it as any cloths
soaked in it can spontaneously combust if left to dry out......

I keep testing that but it hasn't happened yet.

--
dave or stella @ stejonda

Re DECKING Advice Len United Kingdom 0 22-02-2004 09:02 PM
Decking RD United Kingdom 4 20-09-2003 03:32 PM
Decking and turfing - help! have they done it right? xtinexoop United Kingdom 2 08-05-2003 10:44 AM
Membrane, decking timber etc Dave United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 01:44 PM
FA: Decking A Practical Step by Step Guide ripper United Kingdom 0 28-01-2003 08:31 PM