Old 06-06-2006, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Default Blanket weed

I've a lovely crop of blanket weed in the wild pond I created during the
Winter. Is it detrimental, if so can I just rake it out, also is it any
use putting it on the compost heap?
Old 06-06-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Broadback
writes
I've a lovely crop of blanket weed in the wild pond I created during
the Winter. Is it detrimental, if so can I just rake it out, also is
it any use putting it on the compost heap?

It looks a mess . If you have a pump, it is likely to block it. Yes,
you can put it on the compost heap. I don't know how quickly it rots
down. Or you can put it in the earth - I used to do that until my dog
started eating it.
--
June Hughes
Old 06-06-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 16:53:33 +0100, June Hughes wrote
(in article ):

In message , Broadback
writes
I've a lovely crop of blanket weed in the wild pond I created during
the Winter. Is it detrimental, if so can I just rake it out, also is
it any use putting it on the compost heap?

It looks a mess . If you have a pump, it is likely to block it. Yes,
you can put it on the compost heap. I don't know how quickly it rots
down. Or you can put it in the earth - I used to do that until my dog
started eating it.

Just make sure that when you rake it off, you leave it on the side of the
pond for a while so that any desirable critters caught in it can make their
way back to the pond.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-06-2006, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Broadback writes:

| I've a lovely crop of blanket weed in the wild pond I created during the
| Winter. Is it detrimental, if so can I just rake it out, also is it any
| use putting it on the compost heap?

Yes, yes and yes.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Lol

"Broadback" wrote in message
I've a lovely crop of blanket weed in the wild pond I created during the
Winter. Is it detrimental, if so can I just rake it out, also is it any
use putting it on the compost heap?

Discourage blanket weed by increasing shade - my blanket weed is much
reduced by a growth of duckweed on the surface.
Nice but oh dear can't see the pond now for the heaps of duckweed. Duck
needed?

Lol

Old 08-06-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Lol wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
I've a lovely crop of blanket weed in the wild pond I created during the
Winter. Is it detrimental, if so can I just rake it out, also is it any
use putting it on the compost heap?

Discourage blanket weed by increasing shade - my blanket weed is much
reduced by a growth of duckweed on the surface.
Nice but oh dear can't see the pond now for the heaps of duckweed. Duck
needed?

Lol

Thanks all for your replies, afraid pond is in full sun until plants
start to grow. No tadpoles or newts yet, I live in hope for next year.
Do ducks really eat duckweed? if so perhaps I should get some as I
have a pair of ducks that visit off and on.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sally Thompson

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:37:05 +0100, Broadback wrote
(in article ):

Lol wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
I've a lovely crop of blanket weed in the wild pond I created during the
Winter. Is it detrimental, if so can I just rake it out, also is it any
use putting it on the compost heap?

Discourage blanket weed by increasing shade - my blanket weed is much
reduced by a growth of duckweed on the surface.
Nice but oh dear can't see the pond now for the heaps of duckweed. Duck
needed?

Lol

Thanks all for your replies, afraid pond is in full sun until plants
start to grow. No tadpoles or newts yet, I live in hope for next year.
Do ducks really eat duckweed? if so perhaps I should get some as I
have a pair of ducks that visit off and on.

Don't get ducks if you want tadpoles - the ducks will eat them :-(

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Whitton Open Gardens weekend 1st & 2nd July; enjoy the conservation

Blanket Weed (long post) David Hickman United Kingdom 3 11-07-2003 09:57 PM
Blanket weed David Williams Ponds (alternative) 8 30-06-2003 07:56 PM
Blanket weed stacey Ponds 2 30-06-2003 12:20 AM
Blanket weed as/is a veggie filter plant Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 2 27-04-2003 03:20 AM
Blanket weed on my baby water lilies eric United Kingdom 2 22-03-2003 07:32 PM