Old 12-06-2006, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Default Mixed Lobelia - I'm very confused??

Hello everyone, long time no write - pc got a virus but I am back at
last. :-)

I'm a bit confused at the moment. I bought some trailing lobelia plugs
from Wilco's and potted them on, as you do. The label said they were
mixed and with this I assumed this just meant that each plant when in
flower would be a different colour and they would vary between pale
blue, dark blue, magenta and white. I quite liked the idea of pot luck
and taking the lucky dip style of planting out, not knowing what I
would get and not being able to colour coordinate the baskets, tubs as
I usually do each year.

Imagine my surprise when the plants began to flower and have two or
three different colours to each plant! One plant has white, dark blue
and magenta flowers. Am I to understand that mixed colours now means
quite literally that you get different colour flowers on one plant?
When / how long ago did this come about? I must've been asleep I
think.

~Any comments gratefully appreciated

from a very confused Gail!

Old 12-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Registered User

Location: South West UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom&barbara
Hello everyone, long time no write - pc got a virus but I am back at
last. :-)

Imagine my surprise when the plants began to flower and have two or
three different colours to each plant! One plant has white, dark blue
and magenta flowers. Am I to understand that mixed colours now means
quite literally that you get different colour flowers on one plant?
When / how long ago did this come about? I must've been asleep I
think.

~Any comments gratefully appreciated

from a very confused Gail!
Are you sure that its just one plant? I think that quite often when lobelia is planted, because its so tiny to begin with, that you get a "clump" of seeds all coming up together being sold as one plug. So if the seed was mixed you may well get mixed colours. Have a look at each tiny stem, if you have different colours on the same stem do let me know its something I've never heard of.
The lovely big pelagonium I bought recently turned out to be 4 small ones all planted together to make more of a show. No loss to me, a few weeks and they will all be big ones.
Old 13-06-2006, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

trin writes

The lovely big pelagonium I bought recently turned out to be 4 small
ones all planted together to make more of a show. No loss to me, a few
weeks and they will all be big ones.

That's very common. Big bushy poinsettias are often just a ring of
single rooted cuttings. With plants that root easily, like pelargoniums,
it's great as you get several plants, but with plants that need a little
more tlc, you often find that one or two of the cuttings die off.

Of course, to the great majority of people it doesn't matter - I recall
reading somewhere that the majority of potted plants that are bought are
simply thrown out when they've finished flowering. It's only eccentrics
like us who try to keep them going for next season ;-)

--
Kay

MUFFLER,very,very,very LOUD [email protected] Lawns 7 21-09-2006 06:13 PM
Lobelia - cut back? smeric Gardening 2 13-05-2003 10:56 PM
Lobelia Polar Gardening 0 30-04-2003 09:20 PM
lobelia cardinalis: tips to grow? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:14 AM
lobelia cardinalis rotting roots..help! Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 18-04-2003 09:21 AM