Old 21-06-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Default greenhouse tomato

I have always grown my tomato plants outside but this year I had too
many plants so I thought that I would plant them in the greenhouse, they
love that and are growing away like mad, they have plenty of flowers
there but they seem to have a huge amount of leaves, can one have too
many leaves and if so what should I do about them or what did I do to
make them grow so much in the first place?

kate
Old 21-06-2006, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam

Kate Morgan wrote:
I have always grown my tomato plants outside but this year I had too
many plants so I thought that I would plant them in the greenhouse, they
love that and are growing away like mad, they have plenty of flowers
there but they seem to have a huge amount of leaves, can one have too
many leaves and if so what should I do about them or what did I do to
make them grow so much in the first place?

kate

Maybe you've got a bush variety, Kate. Some of these are bred for outdoor
planting and go a bit mad in the greenhouse.
It's not too late to buy greenhouse seeds even now,because the greenhouse
will give protection for a much longer season.Have a leisurely browse
through
the catalogue or along the shelves locally,and have a go.
Old 21-06-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan

Kate Morgan wrote:
I have always grown my tomato plants outside but this year I had too
many plants so I thought that I would plant them in the greenhouse, they
love that and are growing away like mad, they have plenty of flowers
there but they seem to have a huge amount of leaves, can one have too
many leaves and if so what should I do about them or what did I do to
make them grow so much in the first place?

kate

Maybe you've got a bush variety, Kate. Some of these are bred for outdoor
planting and go a bit mad in the greenhouse.

I dont think I have Sam, I grow the bush sort outside and as you know
they are very different. To be honest I cannot remember what variety the
ones in the greenhouse are, they were freebies in a magazine.

kate
Old 22-06-2006, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

Try changing the feed to high potash content now. such as Tomato fertiliser
or Phostrogen, dont forget plants need leaves for good growth.
Once a good set of tomatoes on first and second truss has been attained, the
lower leaves will become discloured and "warped" these can then be taken off
to allow light through to ripening tomatoes and allow plenty of air to
circulate. These leaves are of no more use to the plant as they have
completed their job.Otherwise there is no real benefit to defoliating a
plant for any other reason.
Regards
Cineman