Old 10-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Registered User

Default Bind Weed, Help!

Herb plot . Fortunately plants well spaced with bind weed between and kept clear of smothering herbs. What is best final treatment.
thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Charlie2

Unravel as much as you can and lay it out on a bit of plastic sheet.
Spray with "Roundup" mixed good & strong.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/05/2011 16:42, harry wrote:
On May 10, 2:41 pm,
wrote:
Herb plot . Fortunately plants well spaced with bind weed between and
kept clear of smothering herbs. What is best final treatment.
thanks

--
Charlie2

Unravel as much as you can and lay it out on a bit of plastic sheet.
Spray with "Roundup" mixed good& strong.

or, if the stems atr long enough gathjer them up and put the ends into a
jam jar of any Glyphosphate weedkiller. If there are any close to
plants you want to keep a gel version of one of the proprietary brands
user to be available which you could paint on to individual leaves. I
have not tried it but using the weedkiller to mix up wallpaper paster
(or anthin which will stick to the leaves may work.

Malcolm
Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Herb plot . Fortunately plants well spaced with bind weed between and
kept clear of smothering herbs. What is best final treatment.
thanks

Unravel as much as you can and lay it out on a bit of plastic sheet.
Spray with "Roundup" mixed good& strong.

That is a total waste of the active ingredient. Quick kill of the top
growth is *not* what you want for a pernicious weed like this.

For off label use to kill bindweed you want glyphosate about half normal
strength so that the stuff has plenty of time to translocate into the
extensive root system. I generally hit bindweed and ground elder with
any weedkiller that I happen to be using. Frequent treatment is the key
to preventing it laying down storage tubers/rhizomes.

Expect to have to hit it several times in a season for elimination. It
helps if you can physically dig up some of the roots a few weeks after
each treatment. Bits that break off are less likely to regrow if they
have taken a hit of Roundup. Basically you aim to never let its leaves
see sunlight without being zapped with something for a whole season.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2011-05-10 14:41:39 +0100, Charlie2
said:

Herb plot . Fortunately plants well spaced with bind weed between and
kept clear of smothering herbs. What is best final treatment.
thanks

Apply weed killer whil wearing rubber gloves and smother every leaf.
Don't risk spraying as drift will almost inevitably catch the plants
you do want to keep. *The method of bundling it up in a bag or jar
filled with weedkiller is another good one as Malcolm suggests. *The
only danger is that someone else kicks it over and harms other plants! *
You can also train it up bamboo canes and then use the gloves and weed
killer method.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I'd use SBK to treat it, as Sacha says wearing rubber gloves, but if
you put a woolen or cotton glove over that then your glove holds a lot
more weedkiller as you draw your hand up the stems,
Also you can add some washing up liquid to the mix, put some onto an
old washing up liquid bottle and shake well, then keeping the bottle
upright just squeze out some of the foam onto the plant you want to
treat.
What ever method you chose do it in the latish evening when ther is no
wind, that way you wont have fume drifting to other plants as you
would if it was done in sunshine, also the chemical has all night to
get into the plant as it doesn't evaporate or dry any where as fast at
night.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Unravel as much as you can and lay it out on a bit of plastic sheet.
Spray with "Roundup" mixed good & strong.
My neighbour uses plastic drinks bottles with the bottom cut out, push the plant up through the neck, and then spray into the body of the bottle. As said elsewhere, there is a good argument for thinking that over-dilute is a better idea than strong. Since bindweed tends to be rather shiny and water does not adhere well to it, a bit of washing-up liquid in the mix helps.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote

harry;920817 Wrote:
Unravel as much as you can and lay it out on a bit of plastic sheet.
Spray with "Roundup" mixed good & strong.

My neighbour uses plastic drinks bottles with the bottom cut out, push
the plant up through the neck, and then spray into the body of the
bottle. As said elsewhere, there is a good argument for thinking that
over-dilute is a better idea than strong. Since bindweed tends to be
rather shiny and water does not adhere well to it, a bit of washing-up
liquid in the mix helps.

As others have said, another idea that works is winding it round and putting
it in a plastic bag with some glyphosate, tying up the bag and giving it a
good shake as often as possible, but be careful not to break the plants
shoots, you want the chemical to get down to the roots.
There is also a paste type one on the market with it's own brush you use to
paint the glyphosate on the leaves, tried it and it works. However the paste
becomes normal watery glyphosate after some months.
We have a lot of bindweed coming onto our plot from a neighbour who won't
use chemicals but does use a rotovator, so I'm letting it grow at the moment
up the rabbit fence between us and will soon be out with my sprayer.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-05-2011, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Wed, 11 May 2011 17:58:39 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

[...]
We have a lot of bindweed coming onto our plot from a neighbour who won't
use chemicals but does use a rotovator, so I'm letting it grow at the moment
up the rabbit fence between us and will soon be out with my sprayer.

As a matter of pure vulgar interest, what does the rotavating menace
neighbour himself do about his bindweed?

--
Mike.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/05/2011 20:03, Mike Lyle wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2011 17:58:39 +0100, "Bob
wrote:

[...]
We have a lot of bindweed coming onto our plot from a neighbour who won't
use chemicals but does use a rotovator, so I'm letting it grow at the moment
up the rabbit fence between us and will soon be out with my sprayer.

As a matter of pure vulgar interest, what does the rotavating menace
neighbour himself do about his bindweed?

Sounds like he is trying to grow it as a crop!

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote ...

Mike Lyle wrote:
"Bob Hobden wrote:

[...]
We have a lot of bindweed coming onto our plot from a neighbour who
won't
use chemicals but does use a rotovator, so I'm letting it grow at the
moment
up the rabbit fence between us and will soon be out with my sprayer.

As a matter of pure vulgar interest, what does the rotavating menace
neighbour himself do about his bindweed?

Sounds like he is trying to grow it as a crop!

Not much so far except spread it around efficiently it seems. It will be/is
already a much bigger problem for him this year. I'll just spray it if it
comes anywhere near my plot.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
As a matter of pure vulgar interest, what does the rotavating menace
neighbour himself do about his bindweed?

Sounds like he is trying to grow it as a crop!

Not much so far except spread it around efficiently it seems. It will be/is
already a much bigger problem for him this year. I'll just spray it if it
comes anywhere near my plot.

You're sure he's not growing sweet potatoes? ;-)