Old 27-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Caretaker

Default paraffin and bind weed

I just purchased a greenhouse and a greenhouse heater which uses
paraffin. Could anyone tell me the cheapest place to buy paraffin for
this heater?

Finally, I have bind weed in my garden and would like to get rid of
it. I have been told that I just need to keep pulling it by hand and
just try to keep on top of it. Is this true or is there a better way?
My vegetables hate it!!!

Cheers, Mark

Old 27-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:06:53 +0000, Caretaker wrote:

I just purchased a greenhouse and a greenhouse heater which uses
paraffin. Could anyone tell me the cheapest place to buy paraffin
for this heater?

How much do you want? We buy it at around 18p/l but 2000l at time,
otherwise known as kerosene, or 28sec heating oil. Do you know anyone
with oil fired heating? Ask nicely and...

This may have more a "perfume" when burnt in a greenhouse heater than
the more highly refined Parsene type stuff. I don't know if this
"perfume" would be harmful to plants but I doubt it.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 27-01-2003, 10:45 PM
JimM

Don't know about the parafin but I think you have 2 options for the bindweed

1. Pull it out but you'll need to get the root out as well so you may need
to dig a bit. Make sure you get it all as it will sprout up again from any
little bits you leave behind.

2. You can use glyphosate weedkiller but this will kill anything else it
touches so go carefully.

My front garden was plagued with this when we moved in 2 years ago but I
spent a good day getting the worst out, weedkillered the rest and found it
relatively easy to keep on top of it after that.

Jim

Old 28-01-2003, 12:45 AM
Emrys Davies

Regarding the bindweed:

You need to patiently follow the leaders one by one prising each stem
gently with a trowel
making sure that you recover every morsel of the stem as you go
otherwise every little piece left in the ground will form another plant.

Slowly and surely is the answer to this problematic weed. With patience
and following the above advice you will quickly eradicate it.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 28-01-2003, 09:19 AM
andyp

I do not know about paraffin but my solution to bindweed.

Half fill jam jars with your preferred glyphosphate weed killer. Carefully
untwine the growing tips of the bind weed and insert at least 6"-8" complete
with leaves into the jam jar. Carefully rest the top on the jar and place on
the ground with a smallish stone on top to stop the lid coming off. (sink
the jar into the soil if there is a risk of it falling over). Leave the jar
there for the whole summer.

This method is especially useful when you cannot get to the roots due to
other plants or shrubs growing close-by.

After the first year I has got rid of most of the more vigorous bindweed,
all I do now is use one of those lipstick like spot weeders on any
subsequent weeds.

--
"Wisest are they that know they do not know." Socrates

Old 30-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Druss

"Caretaker" wrote in message
I just purchased a greenhouse and a greenhouse heater which uses
paraffin. Could anyone tell me the cheapest place to buy paraffin for
this heater?

Finally, I have bind weed in my garden and would like to get rid of
it. I have been told that I just need to keep pulling it by hand and
just try to keep on top of it. Is this true or is there a better way?
My vegetables hate it!!!

Cheers, Mark

Re. paraffin, I was buying it from GC's, bad idea, it ranged from £3 to £5 a
gallon. Then I found a place which will fill any container you take along at
only £2.30 a gallon, but since that is a small retailers in the centre of
Wallingford I doubt it'd be much use to you.