Old 12-08-2006, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I have a problem!

I want to killfile that idiot Mike who professes to have been in the navy.

If I set up a killfile to kill 'Mike' it could well kill posts from the
other Mike, so how can I make sure I just get the silly one and not the
other?

Alan

Old 12-08-2006, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I want to killfile that idiot Mike who professes to have been in the navy.

If I set up a killfile to kill 'Mike' it could well kill posts from the
other Mike, so how can I make sure I just get the silly one and not the
other?

Alan

The kill is not on the "From name" shown but rather on the email address
associated with posting articles on newsgroups. So you won't accidentally
kill two people with the same name. It doesn't matter if their email address
is valid or not. If you are using Outlook Express Click Tools Message
Rules Blocked Senders List - this will show "who" you have currently
killfiled (or rather their email address).

So if you now click Tools Accounts News and select the Properties this
will show your own email address as above If you
don't want to get spam by showing your real email address (too late now)
this is where you put some rubbish such as
the format of
the rubbish address must be valid though with an @ and an extension such as
..com
The only danger regarding killfile is that if the person you are killfiling
has coincidentally (or purposely) set their email address to the same
rubbish as a real gardener, then you will kill file that person too! So if
one of the regulars suddenly seems to have stopped posting you will know
why! Hope this helps.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Alan Holmes writes

I want to killfile that idiot Mike who professes to have been in the navy.

If I set up a killfile to kill 'Mike' it could well kill posts from the
other Mike, so how can I make sure I just get the silly one and not the
other?

Are you using Turnpike? If so, open one of his posts, hit 'kill' (in the
'article' menu in this version of TOP, but it was somewhere else in
earlier versions) and choose 'kill author'. That will just kill posts
from Mike from his current address. You'll have to kill him all over
again each time he changes his address.

You will still receive the posts from all the other Mikes

--
Kay
Old 12-08-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote

I want to killfile that idiot Mike who professes to have been in the navy.

If I set up a killfile to kill 'Mike' it could well kill posts from the
other Mike, so how can I make sure I just get the silly one and not the
other?

As you use Outlook Express....

1. highlight/open one of his posts
2. Go to "Message"
3. click on "Block Sender"

Job done.

You have to be careful the person isn't using something like
or you will block a few others as well, me included.
Some Trolls change their headers and use a "real" persons address so use it
with care.

Personally, with the present trolls crossposting, I highlight the first
message go to "Edit" and click Delete, and as long as the thread wasn't
opened you delete all of them that follow too.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 13-08-2006, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006, K wrote:

Alan Holmes writes

I want to killfile that idiot Mike who professes to have been in the navy.

If I set up a killfile to kill 'Mike' it could well kill posts from the
other Mike, so how can I make sure I just get the silly one and not the
other?

Are you using Turnpike? If so, open one of his posts, hit 'kill' (in
the 'article' menu in this version of TOP, but it was somewhere else in
earlier versions) and choose 'kill author'. That will just kill posts
from Mike from his current address. You'll have to kill him all over
again each time he changes his address.

I do that but Turnpike still downloads the headers. Is there any way of
stopping that?

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Old 13-08-2006, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Why not set up a uk.rec.gardening.moderated?

Just think, 'complete control' by the net nannies and owners then. You will
even be able to ban top posters :-)))

Mike ex RN :-))

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 13-08-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, K wrote:

Are you using Turnpike? If so, open one of his posts, hit 'kill' (in
the 'article' menu in this version of TOP, but it was somewhere else
in earlier versions) and choose 'kill author'. That will just kill
posts from Mike from his current address. You'll have to kill him all
over again each time he changes his address.

I do that but Turnpike still downloads the headers. Is there any way
of stopping that?

No, I don't think so. Is it a problem?

I list the headers and dip into what I think is interesting.

Usually I just hop from new post to new post using the space bar, so I
only see thread titles when I want to go back and find a particular
post for some reason, and I'm on broadband so the fact of downloading
headers for posts I'm not going to read doesn't bother me.

I've been using Turnpike for years but didn't know that trick! Thanks!
But having tried it I find that the space bar takes me backwards. Oh
well, time to read the manual, I suppose!

David

Old 14-08-2006, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike wrote:
Why not set up a uk.rec.gardening.moderated?

He doesn't want to stop you posting, he just doesn't want to read you. I am
beginning to understand why.

--
Posting at the top of an article because that is where your cursor
happened to be is like crapping in your pants because that is