Old 21-08-2006, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wasps again

"David (in Normandy)" wrote in
message ...
You need the Rodenator Pro (TM)
http://www.rodenator.com/products2.htm#rodenator

Watch the videos...

Anthony

My God! That's an impressive looking bit of kit! I can hardly believe it
is serious! It makes my mole traps look a bit tame. If only Sigourney
Weaver had one of those things the alien wouldn't have stood a chance!
--
David
... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

I want one of those. Not got any moles but perhaps one day:-)

Old 21-08-2006, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" Do take care not to melt the end of the hosepipe.
Ideally you need an
inefficient (non green) engine that belches loads of carbon Monoxide.
One final caution:- Moles do have burrows under sheds and outbuildings
into which CO may rise/seep

Thanks for the warning. I will monitor how it goes. There is some old heavy
gauge hosepipe laying around I can use. Presumably a bit of Duck Tape will
attach it to the exhaust.

I even tried flooding the moles out on one occasion - the water pressure
here is very high and I had water gushing into one of its runs and billowing
out of its other holes, but the persistent little bugger(s) were determined
not to leave home. I'd recently rotovated the ground and added lots of
manure prior to planting out the leek seedlings, so there is probably a good
supply of earthworms to keep their interest there. I wouldn't mind so much
if they didn't keep uprooting and destroying the leeks.

If this doesn't work, then its tempting to go back to my old chemistry
laboratory days and cook up some nitro and put it down their holes ;-) Push
come to shove I can make a bigger hole than they can!!! Trouble is I'd never
find the leek seedlings to re-plant them, I'd also need a ton of topsoil to
fill the crater ;-)

Old 21-08-2006, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/8/06 21:36, in article , "David
(in Normandy)" wrote:

snip

If this doesn't work, then its tempting to go back to my old chemistry
laboratory days and cook up some nitro and put it down their holes ;-) Push
come to shove I can make a bigger hole than they can!!! Trouble is I'd never
find the leek seedlings to re-plant them, I'd also need a ton of topsoil to
fill the crater ;-)

A friend of a friend tried the petrol down the holes idea. Only problem
was, he lit it. His lawn looked like the Battle of the Somme, apparently!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-08-2006, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 21/8/06 21:36, in article ,
"David
(in Normandy)" wrote:

snip

If this doesn't work, then its tempting to go back to my old chemistry
laboratory days and cook up some nitro and put it down their holes ;-)
Push
come to shove I can make a bigger hole than they can!!! Trouble is I'd
never
find the leek seedlings to re-plant them, I'd also need a ton of topsoil
fill the crater ;-)

A friend of a friend tried the petrol down the holes idea. Only problem
was, he lit it. His lawn looked like the Battle of the Somme, apparently!

His big mistake was to light it, not a all neccessary, the fumes from the
petrol kills them.

Alan

Old 22-08-2006, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/8/06 23:03, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 21/8/06 21:36, in article ,
"David
(in Normandy)" wrote:

snip

If this doesn't work, then its tempting to go back to my old chemistry
laboratory days and cook up some nitro and put it down their holes ;-)
Push
come to shove I can make a bigger hole than they can!!! Trouble is I'd
never
find the leek seedlings to re-plant them, I'd also need a ton of topsoil
fill the crater ;-)

A friend of a friend tried the petrol down the holes idea. Only problem
was, he lit it. His lawn looked like the Battle of the Somme, apparently!

His big mistake was to light it, not a all neccessary, the fumes from the
petrol kills them.

Alan

Absolutely! I think he just thought he'd make "assurance doubly sure."

Old 22-08-2006, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
Can Moles climb into cars and attack you?

No but they can slash your tyres!

Old 22-08-2006, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (in Normandy)" wrote in
message ...

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
Can Moles climb into cars and attack you?

No but they can slash your tyres!

I don't somehow think that a spy or an informer would expose him/herself to
such a degree :-((

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 22-08-2006, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:20:03 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote this (or the missive included
this):

My son has tried to buy wasp killer, at B&Q and another place with no
success.
Thanks Charlie for the derris dust idea. It sounds safer and kinder
to the lavender bush than diesel or similar!

I recently cleared a wasp nest overnight. It was under the eaves of
next door's roof. I used three bursts of Nippon Wasp Nest destroyer
(foam aerosol) which you can direct into the nest entrance from up to
3 metres away. Available in garden centres. I have previously used a
similar product (RAID) which cleared out a nest in a roof space over
my front porch.

They do not like it up 'em. Spray hard and run. Then give them a
second burst for luck after a couple of hours. Works for me.
--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Old 22-08-2006, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ron Clark" wrote in message

I recently cleared a wasp nest overnight. It was under the eaves of
next door's roof. I used three bursts of Nippon Wasp Nest destroyer
(foam aerosol) which you can direct into the nest entrance from up to
3 metres away. Available in garden centres. I have previously used a
similar product (RAID) which cleared out a nest in a roof space over
my front porch.

They do not like it up 'em. Spray hard and run. Then give them a
second burst for luck after a couple of hours. Works for me.
--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Nippon - that's the stuff as I referred to in my original response.
Worked for me as well.
Cover up well - do not run - stroll away !!
Petrol etc remedies are for those who want to destroy other life and
themselves as well !!!

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 22-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Registered User

Suggest you contact your pest control officer at your local council offices. They should dealt with a wasp nest for you.
Old 22-08-2006, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/8/06 20:53, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 21/8/06 22:31, in article
, "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from "David \(in Normandy\)"
contains these words:

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" Do take care not to melt the end of the hosepipe.
Ideally you need an
inefficient (non green) engine that belches loads of carbon Monoxide.
One final caution:- Moles do have burrows under sheds and outbuildings
into which CO may rise/seep
Thanks for the warning. I will monitor how it goes. There is some
old heavy
gauge hosepipe laying around I can use. Presumably a bit of Duck
Tape will
attach it to the exhaust.

Keep all the car windows wide open while you're doing it. Otherwise,
you and the moles might share the same fate.

Hang on - the exhaust is going down into the hole, not back into the car - I
hope.

The CO2 won't be emitted into a molehole, as freely as they would
into open air. Some may come inside the car; I've seen this happen
(almost fatally) to someone who had backed his exhaust pipe into an
earth bank in a car park and was sitting there with the engine
running/windows shut.

Ugh. But surely the hosepipe would take the CO2 down and beyond the danger
area for the car? Depending on the length of hose, of course.
This is a 'remedy' I've heard of many times and admittedly have never heard
of any problems or dangerous results. Good thing you raised it.

Old 23-08-2006, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tried it yesterday, but had to stop after around 10 minutes, the engine was
starting to struggle a bit for some reason - I guess it didn't like the
restricted exhaust. So for good measure I also put petrol down around 30
mole tunnels as per someone else's suggestion. "Luckily" I had some old
two-stroke mixture left over that was nearly a year old and had been
wondering what to do with it - it was past its best for use in garden
machinery. Between all the mole holes and tunnels I must have poured a good
gallon - and I resisted the temptation to light it! Touch wood, so far today
there are no new signs of mole activity in my leek patch and adjacent lawn.
Time to try it on my wife's cutting patch now - the blighters have uprooted
lots of the cuttings she planted a couple of days ago. The moles seem to
home in on freshly tilled and planted earth.
We have relatives coming over on Thursday - I'd better warn them not to
smoke in the garden!