Old 19-08-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wasps again

How would you deal with a wasps' nest in the ground, under a huge
lavender bush, in a smallish garden where two dogs want to romp?

My son has this problem and discovered the wasps on return from 2
weeks holiday. He is starting with running the hose into the hole,
but so far to little effect.
Has anyone any experience of dealing with this?
Can anyone recommend a spray or other treatment?
TIA

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-08-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
How would you deal with a wasps' nest in the ground, under a huge
lavender bush, in a smallish garden where two dogs want to romp?

My son has this problem and discovered the wasps on return from 2
weeks holiday. He is starting with running the hose into the hole,
but so far to little effect.
Has anyone any experience of dealing with this?
Can anyone recommend a spray or other treatment?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

In a similar situation, I used the foamy spray wasp nest killer stuff.
Took two applications of half the can each to sort them.
Sorry I don't remember the brand.
A little bravery and a lot of common sense is needed in applying it though !

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 19-08-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:

| How would you deal with a wasps' nest in the ground, under a huge
| lavender bush, in a smallish garden where two dogs want to romp?
|
| My son has this problem and discovered the wasps on return from 2
| weeks holiday. He is starting with running the hose into the hole,
| but so far to little effect.
| Has anyone any experience of dealing with this?
| Can anyone recommend a spray or other treatment?

Yes. Use the techniques first investigated scientifically by the late
lamented Professor Pavlov. Let the damn pooches learn that hassling
wasps isn't clever. Wasps are not aggressive, and will ignore dogs
that don't actually try to dig the nest up. Any normal dog will learn
that, PDQ.

If the dogs are as thick as Odie in the Garfield comic strip, replace
them by something brighter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-08-2006, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
How would you deal with a wasps' nest in the ground, under a huge
lavender bush, in a smallish garden where two dogs want to romp?

My son has this problem and discovered the wasps on return from 2
weeks holiday. He is starting with running the hose into the hole,
but so far to little effect.
Has anyone any experience of dealing with this?
Can anyone recommend a spray or other treatment?
TIA
Pam in Bristol

Loads of info here Pam:
http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pe...-rid-of-wasps/

I've dealt with one in a hollow wall by using a spray with a long nozzle -
can't recall the make. it came from the garden centre.

Do be careful if you have a go at it.

jenny

Old 19-08-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 15:57:27 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
.. .
How would you deal with a wasps' nest in the ground, under a huge
lavender bush, in a smallish garden where two dogs want to romp?

My son has this problem and discovered the wasps on return from 2
weeks holiday. He is starting with running the hose into the hole,
but so far to little effect.
Has anyone any experience of dealing with this?
Can anyone recommend a spray or other treatment?
TIA
Pam in Bristol

Loads of info here Pam:
http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pe...-rid-of-wasps/

I've dealt with one in a hollow wall by using a spray with a long nozzle -
can't recall the make. it came from the garden centre.

Do be careful if you have a go at it.

Jenny, thanks for that site. I read the instructions for dealing with
one in the ground and had a good laugh at the thought of my son going
through all that palaver!
I think if the drowning doesn't work a spray might be the next move.
The pest control people on the council charge a fortune to deal with
these nests now, where it used to be free.
Thanks again.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-08-2006, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
How would you deal with a wasps' nest in the ground, under a huge
lavender bush, in a smallish garden where two dogs want to romp?

My son has this problem and discovered the wasps on return from 2
weeks holiday. He is starting with running the hose into the hole,
but so far to little effect.
Has anyone any experience of dealing with this?
Can anyone recommend a spray or other treatment?
TIA
Pam in Bristol

Loads of info here Pam:
http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pe...-rid-of-wasps/

I've dealt with one in a hollow wall by using a spray with a long nozzle -
can't recall the make. it came from the garden centre.

Do be careful if you have a go at it.

jenny

Remeber to do it at dusk or dawn when they're least active.

Old 19-08-2006, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trevor" wrote in message

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
How would you deal with a wasps' nest in the ground, under a huge
lavender bush, in a smallish garden where two dogs want to romp?

My son has this problem and discovered the wasps on return from 2
weeks holiday. He is starting with running the hose into the hole,
but so far to little effect.
Has anyone any experience of dealing with this?
Can anyone recommend a spray or other treatment?
TIA
Pam in Bristol

Loads of info here Pam:
http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pe...-rid-of-wasps/

I've dealt with one in a hollow wall by using a spray with a long
nozzle - can't recall the make. it came from the garden centre.

Do be careful if you have a go at it.

jenny

Remeber to do it at dusk or dawn when they're least active.

That also applies to teenagers.

Des

Old 19-08-2006, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On 19 Aug 2006 11:20:21 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Pam Moore writes:

| How would you deal with a wasps' nest in the ground, under a huge
| lavender bush, in a smallish garden where two dogs want to romp?
|
| My son has this problem and discovered the wasps on return from 2
| weeks holiday. He is starting with running the hose into the hole,
| but so far to little effect.
| Has anyone any experience of dealing with this?
| Can anyone recommend a spray or other treatment?

Yes. Use the techniques first investigated scientifically by the late
lamented Professor Pavlov. Let the damn pooches learn that hassling
wasps isn't clever. Wasps are not aggressive, and will ignore dogs
that don't actually try to dig the nest up. Any normal dog will learn
that, PDQ.

If the dogs are as thick as Odie in the Garfield comic strip, replace
them by something brighter.

Thanks Nick, but for once your reply is unhelpful.
The dogs are young, one is being looked after for a week, and both are
intelligent Black Labradors and being well trained.
Urgent help is wanted.... anyone?

Pam in Bristol

Pam-I do agree with Nick.
The other advice all warns of the dangers of messing around-so if you insist
on killing them off get the professionals to do it and pay the money.

Old 19-08-2006, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The dogs are young, one is being looked after for a week, and both are
intelligent Black Labradors and being well trained.
Urgent help is wanted.... anyone?

Pam in Bristol

If our black lab is anything to go by, then a wasp nest is just something
else ripe for digging up and eating! Ouch, Ouch, Ouch!
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 19-08-2006, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In a similar situation, I used the foamy spray wasp nest killer stuff.
A little bravery and a lot of common sense is needed in applying it though
!

Pete

I also suggest wearing a pair of stout running shoes, just in case! As a
child I accidentally put my foot into an underground wasp nest while playing
under a bush - I had scores of stings from head to foot. They didn't take
kindly to having their home demolished, albeit accidentally and chased me
for at least 100 yards!

Old 19-08-2006, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
How would you deal with a wasps' nest in the ground, under a huge
lavender bush, in a smallish garden where two dogs want to romp?

My son has this problem and discovered the wasps on return from 2
weeks holiday. He is starting with running the hose into the hole,
but so far to little effect.
Has anyone any experience of dealing with this?
Can anyone recommend a spray or other treatment?
TIA

A small quantity of petrol poured into the nest entrance, will kill them
off, the accent being on 'small', the fumes asfixiate(SP?) them.

Alan

Pam in Bristol

Old 19-08-2006, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

.. .

Pam Moore writes:

| How would you deal with a wasps' nest in the ground, under a huge
| lavender bush, in a smallish garden where two dogs want to romp?
|
| My son has this problem and discovered the wasps on return from 2
| weeks holiday. He is starting with running the hose into the hole,
| but so far to little effect.
| Has anyone any experience of dealing with this?
| Can anyone recommend a spray or other treatment?

Yes. Use the techniques first investigated scientifically by the late
lamented Professor Pavlov. Let the damn pooches learn that hassling
wasps isn't clever. Wasps are not aggressive, and will ignore dogs
that don't actually try to dig the nest up. Any normal dog will learn
that, PDQ.

If the dogs are as thick as Odie in the Garfield comic strip, replace
them by something brighter.

Thanks Nick, but for once your reply is unhelpful.
The dogs are young, one is being looked after for a week, and both are
intelligent Black Labradors and being well trained.
Urgent help is wanted.... anyone?

Pam in Bristol

Pam-I do agree with Nick.
The other advice all warns of the dangers of messing around-so if you insist
on killing them off get the professionals to do it and pay the money.

Can you not temporarily fence off the lavender bush?

--
Kay
Old 20-08-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Alan Holmes" writes:

| A small quantity of petrol poured into the nest entrance, will kill them
| off, the accent being on 'small', the fumes asfixiate(SP?) them.

And, if anyone lobs a cigarette near there until it has dissipated,
which could take days, the subsequent explosion and probable raid by
armed police will be the talk of the neighbourhood for years. Too
much could kill the plant, too.

Yhe traditional way is to put a small amount of potassium cyanide in
a bottle, pour some concentrated hydrochloric on it, attach a tube,
and stick that into the nest. Nowadays, the chances of being able to
buy cyanide in a chemist without spending 28 days helping police with
their enquiries is low. And it isn't a procedure recommended for
anyone without full CBW kit, either.

The problem is that she is not trying to kill the nest, or prepared
to take time, and there ARE no safe, reliable ways of doing that.
All of the fast-acting, 100% effective insecticides are seriously
toxic, seriously harmful to the environment, and most are not sold
to the public.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 20-08-2006, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) writes:

| The problem is that she is not trying to kill the nest, ...

What I mean is that she is trying to kill ALL of the wasps, not just
the queen and potential queens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.