Old 14-09-2006, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Naubergines OT

The only difference is that they need megabytes of memory to do what
was done in a few k.
--
Martin

True, my earliest programs were only a few k, now they run to megs. Program
size used to be so critical and had to be optimised. The other thing that
never ceases to amaze me is just how slow operating systems and compiled
code are nowadays with so much bloat. Processor speeds have gone up
enormously but this all seems to have been wasted. Out of curiosity years
ago I wrote a compact function in machine code to clear the screen of an IBM
8086 PC (under DOS 3.2 I think) and compared that to identical function
calls using Microsoft compiled C code. My machine code was a factor of 100
times faster! Things are much worse now. Performance optimised code seems to
have gone out of the "Window" so to speak.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 14-09-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Naubergines

Uncle Marvo writes

The most common cause of fires in the UK was bad wiring,

When was that?

When I was an electrician.

Are you sure you want to admit to that? ;-)

I'm not sure if
that's still true.

See the fire statistics:
http://tinyurl.co.uk/bcfw

That's a government document, and as such will say what they want you to
think :-)

It's produced by the Government Statistical Service who go to
considerable lengths to be objective and impartial.
--
Kay
Old 14-09-2006, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , K
writes
Uncle Marvo writes

The most common cause of fires in the UK was bad wiring,

When was that?

When I was an electrician.

Are you sure you want to admit to that? ;-)

I'm not sure if
that's still true.

See the fire statistics:
http://tinyurl.co.uk/bcfw

That's a government document, and as such will say what they want you to
think :-)

It's produced by the Government Statistical Service who go to
considerable lengths to be objective and impartial.

And accurate?
--
June Hughes
Old 14-09-2006, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , June Hughes
writes

After 30 years of being a member. I am no longer a Which? subscriber.

After 30 years, I am a bit of a bozo for still subscribing to it.
Having just read the article about electric steamers properly, instead
of just skimming through it, I have decided not to bother buying one,
mainly because they are difficult to clean and life is too short for that.

I got Which gardening for about 20 years right from issue 1. However
they suddenly went all arty and started to ramp it up as an ordinary
,magazine complete with articles and irrelevant bits.
I stopped it but then they seem to have got the message because the last
two issues I borrowed were back to the old type, a sort of Which
magazine but on gardening only, which is why I subscribed in the first
place.
I'll wait for a special offer letter and rejoin I think.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 14-09-2006, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old age takes its toll -

Gardeners decay and end up on the compost heap.

Programmers de-compile and end up on the stack.

However, musicians de-compose on a lighter note.

Old 15-09-2006, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
No, you need aubergines for that. Naubergines grow indifferently

until
autumn, when they produce an attractive flower or two, which drops

off.
Eventually the whole plant succumbs to the cold.

I took to going over mine with a paintbrush every few days. I don't
know whether it's just coincidence that the first fruits set a couple of
days after the first instance of manual pollination.

Rhiannon
Old 15-09-2006, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote
debugged
I was a programmer in the '70's. Autocoder;Cobol;Plan. That was when
programming was exciting.
-- June Hughes

Ha - what about RPG II then ?!
And really floppy floppy disks.......those were the days :~))
Jenny

Old 15-09-2006, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
Ha - what about RPG II then ?!
And really floppy floppy disks.......those were the days :~))
Jenny

I used to have a big hard drive but over the years it gradually got smaller
and more floppy - first it became an 8" floppy, then down to 5 1/4 then 3
1/2 inch. Now all I've got are the memory sticks. ;-)

Old 15-09-2006, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

"June Hughes" wrote
debugged
I was a programmer in the '70's. Autocoder;Cobol;Plan. That was when
programming was exciting.
-- June Hughes

Ha - what about RPG II then ?!
And really floppy floppy disks.......those were the days :~))

Ha - I'm afraid all those came later
(Yer nobbut a baby

--
June Hughes
Old 16-09-2006, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (in Normandy)" wrote in
message ...

"JennyC" wrote in message
Ha - what about RPG II then ?!
And really floppy floppy disks.......those were the days :~))
Jenny

I used to have a big hard drive but over the years it gradually got
smaller and more floppy - first it became an 8" floppy, then down to 5 1/4
then 3 1/2 inch. Now all I've got are the memory sticks. ;-)
--
David
... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk
... Blog at http://dlts-french-adventures.blogspot.com/

That's most sad. Did you get your drive stuck in a ZIP?