Old 02-09-2006, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Naubergines

Can anyone grow these things outside and, if so where and how? They
seem to hate any temperature below 25 Celcius, or even the slightest
lack of water. I am really not into mollycoddling adult plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Can anyone grow these things outside and, if so where and how? They
seem to hate any temperature below 25 Celcius, or even the slightest
lack of water. I am really not into mollycoddling adult plants.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

What are Naubergines, all the searches I've done ask me if I mean
Aubergines?

Old 02-09-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"Mike in Spain" writes:

| What are Naubergines, all the searches I've done ask me if I mean
| Aubergines?

Say it out loud, putting an 'N' on the front of 'aubergines' :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
Can anyone grow these things outside and, if so where and how? They
seem to hate any temperature below 25 Celcius, or even the slightest
lack of water. I am really not into mollycoddling adult plants.

We grew them once in large pots with water trays in full sun and did very
well, got a first in the local show, but have never been able to repeat the
process. Yes, it did take a lot of daily TLC and it was a warm summer.
In the ground we have never been able to get a good crop, the plants just
seem to take too long to mature and flower, perhaps if they were got going
very early in a heated greenhouse and planted against a S. facing wall (sun
trap) and constantly watered (drip or seep) and fed they might do well ( I
suspect they like a damp atmosphere too).
We decided it wasn't worth the bother for the few we use.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 02-09-2006, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
:
: In article .com,
: "Mike in Spain" writes:
: |
: | What are Naubergines, all the searches I've done ask me if I mean
: | Aubergines?
:
: Say it out loud, putting an 'N' on the front of 'aubergines' :-)
:
:
: Regards,
: Nick Maclaren.

We have grown them on the plot this year, first time of trying. There are
long purple ones and fat rounded ones. What do we do with them is what I
would like to know

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 02-09-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Robert" wrote :

We have grown them on the plot this year, first time of trying. There are
long purple ones and fat rounded ones. What do we do with them is what I
would like to know

Cut into thick slices, drizzle with olive oil, put slices of halloumi
(squeaky) cheese on top, and grill or bake till well browned. Delicious.

Old 03-09-2006, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote :
:
:
: We have grown them on the plot this year, first time of trying. There
are
: long purple ones and fat rounded ones. What do we do with them is what I
: would like to know
:
:
: Cut into thick slices, drizzle with olive oil, put slices of halloumi
: (squeaky) cheese on top, and grill or bake till well browned. Delicious.
:
Thank you, will try it

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

:
:

Old 03-09-2006, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Robert" writes:

| We have grown them on the plot this year, first time of trying. There are
| long purple ones and fat rounded ones. What do we do with them is what I
| would like to know

Well done! I recommend getting a book on Levantine cookery - in this
context, anywhere from Morocco along North Africa to Egypt and up through
Lebanon to Turkey.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
In the ground we have never been able to get a good crop, the plants

just
seem to take too long to mature and flower, perhaps if they were got

going
very early in a heated greenhouse and planted against a S. facing wall

(sun
trap) and constantly watered (drip or seep) and fed they might do well

( I
suspect they like a damp atmosphere too).

I'm currently growing them in an unheated greenhouse from sowing in pots
in early April. The plants are about four feet tall. Lots of fruits
have set and we plan to eat the first one tonight.

Rhiannon
Old 04-09-2006, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
Can anyone grow these things outside and, if so where and how? They
seem to hate any temperature below 25 Celcius, or even the slightest
lack of water. I am really not into mollycoddling adult plants.

This year out outside aubergines have grown really well - they're
against a south facing wall and have had a lot of water and weekly
tomato feed. About 6 to 8 full size from each plant with another 3 or 4
on each now.

Excellent deep fried and, because we cut four for the annual show on
Saturday we made moussaka with our own aubergines.

I don't think they'll do without mollycoddling though.

Regards, Colin
--
Colin Brook - Winchester (UK)

Tel:+44(0)1962-714030 Fax:+44(0)8701641293 Mobile:07976258703

Old 04-09-2006, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote :
:
:
: We have grown them on the plot this year, first time of trying. There
are
: long purple ones and fat rounded ones. What do we do with them is what I
: would like to know
:
:
: Cut into thick slices, drizzle with olive oil, put slices of halloumi
: (squeaky) cheese on top, and grill or bake till well browned. Delicious.
:
Thank you, will try it

You could sprinkle the slices with coarse sea salt first, and let the
salt draw out the excess water for a couple of hoursin the fridge, then
wipe salt and moisture and follow rest of recipe.

You could also make "Naubergine caviar", which basically involves
cutting the naubergine in two lengthways, seasoning them with salt and
pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, baking in the oven (with top element
on) till soft and slightly charred on top, then scooping out flesh with
spoon and mashing it up. Mix with more good virgin olive oil, and
serve with roast lamb as a sort of sauce, or on crusty bread as a
bruschetta sort of thing.

Naubergines are also delicious chopped up in small cubes and included
in any tomato based pasta sauce - be sure to saute them first, rather
than just throw them in last - they will have better flavour if sauteed
rather than stewed.

You could also look up a good recipe for moussaka, a divine kind of
greek lamb mince and sliced naubergine trifle :-)

Finally, naubergines are an essential ingredient in a good ratatouille.
My recipe: saute finely sliced onions, then add and saute individually
in very good quality olive oil all of the following: sliced peppers red
preferably, sliced courgettes, sliced naubergines, sliced mushrooms
(optional). Mix all individually sauted veg together in a big stove
top pan, and add very ripe skinned tomatoes, or tins of toms (they
generally taste better than even the best tomatoes that can be grown
under our climes). I generally also add a bit of concentrated tomato
paste for extra tomatoeyness.
Add a generous amount of fresh chopped herbs - I generally pluck what's
pluckable out of the herb beds, but basic, oregano, marjoram, thyme,
parsley would be good - season with sea salt and coarsely ground
pepper, put the lid on and let simmer for a good hour.
It's even better re-heated, and it goes wonderfully with any kind of
roast meat and new spuds.

You've done it, I'm hungry now.

Cat(h)

Old 04-09-2006, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert wrote:
We have grown them on the plot this year, first time of trying. There are
long purple ones and fat rounded ones. What do we do with them is what I
would like to know

You made me so hungry ) We eat them constantly in the summer - cut
and saute (slow and for a long time) along with peppers, courgettes,
oignons and tomatoes and you've got your Ratatouille. I make a lot and
use it over 2/3 days - reheated is absolutely heaven, even with a fried
egg. Do you make lasagna? Then instead of the pasta, use sliced
aubergines: salt them first to remove excess water and use like you
would the layer of pasta. Roasted - easy, with peppers and whole cloves
of garlic; bit of spice, some chillie if you're man enough. Just
fantastic.

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Lovely lotty. What did you do at Chelsea?

Old 04-09-2006, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
:
: Robert wrote:
[...]

Thanks, yes I love chilli and anything hot so will give it a try. It was
Luke, our secretary who is the Chelsea fan. He is 17 and has been for two
years now. He's just today, started studying horticulture at the Duchy
College in Camborne so we expect great things of him. The photos are a mix
of the different plots at Rowdens, unfortunately nobody has the time to go
through and label them all. Thanks again

Old 04-09-2006, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com,
"Cat(h)" writes:

| Naubergines are also delicious ....

No, you need aubergines for that. Naubergines grow indifferently until
autumn, when they produce an attractive flower or two, which drops off.
Eventually the whole plant succumbs to the cold.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
:
: In article .com,
: "Cat(h)" writes:
: |
: | Naubergines are also delicious ....
:
: No, you need aubergines for that. Naubergines grow indifferently until
: autumn, when they produce an attractive flower or two, which drops off.
: Eventually the whole plant succumbs to the cold.
:
:
: Regards,
: Nick Maclaren.

Mine grew with no fussing whatsoever, in fact I nearly forgot all about
them. I had made sure they were in a sheltered position when planting
though, away from any cold winds