Old 04-09-2006, 07:50 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Bloody foxes

"Bookworm" wrote in message
ups.com...
Weatherlawyer wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting

them
what can I do?

I have thought of covering the flower beds with netting but

don't know
what type to use. Road bed mattress would allow the plants to

grow
through. And so would barbed wire.

Any suggestions?

It's not even my garden I am guerrilla-ing it. I have something

like a
tenth of a mile to look after so it could get expensive.

Road mattress (or whatever it is called -a fence lattice of

something
like 4 inch squares used to reinforce roads) would just lay on

or in
the soil and last a few years -long enough to establish thorny

bushes.
Barbed wire would have to be supported off the ground.

Removing either for working on them could be a problem.

Hmm...

Posted to UK.sci.weather after a glitch with Google and posting

limits,
forced me to sign out then back in with the gmail account.

Something
tells me that some programmer at Google isn't up to scratch.

Which is more than I can say for my bloody foxes.

Sorry about that -too.

Used to be able to buy stuff called 'Renardine'. Bloody foul smell.

dont know what it did to the foxes but it ****ed me off. Probably
banned now like lots of useful chemicals.

Renardine was banned relatively recently under big brother EU
legislation and it seems that there is nothing equally effective.

AWEM

Old 04-09-2006, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message . com
from "Weatherlawyer" contains these words:

I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting them
what can I do?

I have thought of covering the flower beds with netting but don't know
what type to use. Road bed mattress would allow the plants to grow
through. And so would barbed wire.

Any suggestions?

It's not even my garden I am guerrilla-ing it.

So are they, and they were probably there first. You'll have to learn
to live with them.

Don't be so bloody stupid.

From experience elsewhere (a longterm fox-den in the garden with a new
litter of cubs every year) this time of year is the worst for digging.
This years cubs are an energetic teenage gang and haven't dispersed yet,
just about mature enough to leave home. The parents are cutting the
food supply. The youngsters are having to fend for themselves and now
is when they do a lot of digging/scraping for easy food like worms,
grubs and beetles. When they get more expert at foraging larger meals
(such as mice) foxes ease up on the digging (and also disperse).

I have no objection to the foxes per se although I'd prefer them to
bugger off and I'd have the birds to feed and enjoy. There has never
been a shortage of foxes in the city or the field. However they have
never really bothered with this patch until I started improving the
soil.

Now they are spoiling it for me.

The weather has been particularly fruitful for them at the moment.
Perhaps they are foraging for mushrooms. There is a bumper harvest
after the recent weather. And yes they could be eating worms, slugs and
whatever, even craneflies.

I just wish they'd go and do it elsewhere. There are plenty of half
eaten takeaways, discarded in the area.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:55 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

Had another bad day Lawrence?

--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:59 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting

them
what can I do?

Very little other than trying to kill that damned things, although they can
be useful when you are trying to get rid of dead squirrels!

Alan

Old 04-09-2006, 10:25 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

On 4/9/06 16:49, in article , "Brian Wakem"
wrote:

snip

We covered our lawn in chicken wire. After 12 months you can't see it, and
nothing can dig.

In our case it was to prevent badgers digging rather than foxes.

How do you mow it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-09-2006, 10:35 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"David (in Normandy)" wrote in
message ...
"cucumber" wrote in message
ps.com...
I don't know much about foxes but I know Google has various limits on
different ways of posting... so it's not a bad programming glitch but a
feature.

As a professional software developer so I can categorically say there is

no
such thing as bugs or faults in programs, there are simply "undocumented
features" ;-)

LOL!

Old 04-09-2006, 10:54 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
Had another bad day Lawrence?

--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
http://users.aber.ac.uk/ais/weather/ uk

Just give us your water, you owe it to us. For far too long we have
subsidised
the Welsh.

Bad day? no.
ear...... did you see what he said about me?
How dare him. I challenge him to barometers at dawn.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:01 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Renardine was banned relatively recently under big
brother EU
legislation and it seems that there is nothing equally
effective.

If the EU has banned it, you can probably buy it in France.

Anne

Old 05-09-2006, 06:27 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting them
what can I do?

Pray that rabies gets into the country and all the bloody foxes will be shot
on sight by somebody else! But when it happens - as it will - it will still
upset the townies who think they are lovely cuddly blighters..

Lionel

Old 05-09-2006, 07:55 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

g'day weatherlawyer,

i had similar problem over here, so i saved my urine and used that
around the beds no more fox digging the garden problem after that.

On 3 Sep 2006 20:04:04 -0700, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

snippe
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 05-09-2006, 07:57 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:55:04 GMT, gardenlen
wrote:

g'day weatherlawyer,

i had similar problem over here, so i saved my urine and used that
around the beds no more fox digging the garden problem after that.

Why did you save it? Why not just pee in the bushes!

wrote:

snippe
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--

Dr. John Henry "Doc" Holliday Medical Physics Sheriff
Tel 44 1382 0960111 ext. 347 Univ. of DundeeCake, Tenwells Hospital

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%

Malcolm Ogilvie of on the suggestion he
copied Konters book.

" You are making yourself look foolish. The book on Grebes by Andre
Konter that was published in 2001 was entitled 'Grebes of OUR World'.
My book, published only this month, is entitled 'Grebes of THE World',
and as such is entirely different. The similarity of the front covers
is quite coincidental. My book IS the first ever devoted to Grebes.

Malcolm Ogilivie."

KONTER (Andre) - Grebes of our World. Visiting all Species on Five
Continents - 2001, 8vo. 187pp. Colour photographs, line drawings. A
description of the 22 species of grebes, their natural history, ecology
and behaviour.

Grebes of the World
Malcolm Ogilvie
The book starts with an authoritative introduction on the origin,
evolution, distribution, physiology and behaviour of grebes, followed by
accounts of each of the 22 species

Malcolm it looks as though Konter might dispute that statement!

Rob

"Yes, indeed, what I said was wrong and I apologise to Andre Konter,

Malcolm Ogilvie"

The error I made was in a chatty piece about the actual writing of the
book which I posted to a non-birdwatching newsgroup

M Ogilvie

You clearly and explicitly stated that yours was the first book on the
subject, in the full knowledge that the topic had recently been
covered very thoroughly in Konter's book.
The facts speak for themselves. You are a liar who only had the grace
to own up when you had been found out - you even persisted in giving
the impression that you were the first to write it *after* I had drawn
attention to your untruth. Your apology comes a little late.
You do yourself no credit in introducing other, wholly irrelevant
matters in order to deflect criticism from your behaviour. Shame on
you.

Paul

I have personally wrecked the ozone layer and trashed countless green
lanes. I have lost count of the number of farmers' fences weakened by my
straightlining. I have puked on country pub tables, staggered through guy
ropes, crapped in sensitive upland areas, left orange peel on Skye, fondled
the Paps of Nora, stolen bicycles, and, to my shame, once voted liberal.

It is with regret that I note that Richard, aka Big Dick, has opted for the
withdrawal method rather than continue his intercourse with this ng using
suitable protection.

--

Paul Rooney
Old 05-09-2006, 08:50 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

Lionel wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting them
what can I do?

Pray that rabies gets into the country and all the bloody foxes will be shot
on sight by somebody else! But when it happens - as it will - it will still
upset the townies who think they are lovely cuddly blighters..

As if we need more gardens around here designed by hillbillies. I
wonder what the smell in some of these fox lover's paradises is like.
Foxes don't half pong.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:17 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

Lionel wrote:
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting them
what can I do?

Pray that rabies gets into the country and all the bloody foxes will be
shot
on sight by somebody else! But when it happens - as it will - it will
still
upset the townies who think they are lovely cuddly blighters..

As if we need more gardens around here designed by hillbillies. I
wonder what the smell in some of these fox lover's paradises is like.
Foxes don't half pong.

The only thing I've ever agreed with you on, in fact they stink. When I
mentioned creosote to deter them that was a serious suggestion. They
actually have a similar but far worse stench, so t6hat is possibly why the
stuff works,

Old 05-09-2006, 09:37 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

g'day ©¿©,

makes it easier to spread it around where you want it, and much more
convenient than having to run around outsied each time you wish to
pee. plus a bit much to expect the ladies to go run around the garden.

i also use it on my vege' gardens

snipped