Old 04-09-2006, 04:04 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

Default Bloody foxes

I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting them
what can I do?

I have thought of covering the flower beds with netting but don't know
what type to use. Road bed mattress would allow the plants to grow
through. And so would barbed wire.

Any suggestions?

It's not even my garden I am guerrilla-ing it. I have something like a
tenth of a mile to look after so it could get expensive.

Road mattress (or whatever it is called -a fence lattice of something
like 4 inch squares used to reinforce roads) would just lay on or in
the soil and last a few years -long enough to establish thorny bushes.
Barbed wire would have to be supported off the ground.

Removing either for working on them could be a problem.

Old 04-09-2006, 04:16 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting them
what can I do?

I have thought of covering the flower beds with netting but don't know
what type to use. Road bed mattress would allow the plants to grow
through. And so would barbed wire.

Any suggestions?

It's not even my garden I am guerrilla-ing it. I have something like a
tenth of a mile to look after so it could get expensive.

Road mattress (or whatever it is called -a fence lattice of something
like 4 inch squares used to reinforce roads) would just lay on or in
the soil and last a few years -long enough to establish thorny bushes.
Barbed wire would have to be supported off the ground.

Removing either for working on them could be a problem.

Hmm...

Posted to UK.sci.weather after a glitch with Google and posting limits,
forced me to sign out then back in with the gmail account. Something
tells me that some programmer at Google isn't up to scratch.

Which is more than I can say for my bloody foxes.

Sorry about that -too.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:08 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting

them
what can I do?

Any hope of fencing them out so they can't get intot he garden to
begin with?

I have thought of covering the flower beds with netting but don't

know
what type to use.

Chicken netting would work but if you wanted to grow perennial
floswers it'd be a nuisance, OK for shrubs though as you could cut a
shrub sized hole and then once the planting is done jsut cover all of
the wire with a mulch.

And so would barbed wire.

Too dangerous for gardening humans.

Road mattress (or whatever it is called -a fence lattice of

something
like 4 inch squares used to reinforce roads)

I'd call that reo (short for reinforcing). Yes, it'd work but if the
groudn isn't comletely flat then you'd ahve problems shaping it.
Chicken wire or bird wire would be easier on uneven ground and you'd
only need good pliers to cut it with. For reo, you'd need to use an
angle grinder or a hacksaw to cut planting holes

Old 04-09-2006, 07:30 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting

them
what can I do?

Any hope of fencing them out so they can't get intot he garden to
begin with?

I think it is the only option, use netting round the entire perimeter,
burying the bottom in the ground

Jim Webster.

Proverbs 9 7&8

Old 04-09-2006, 08:07 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

I don't know much about foxes but I know Google has various limits on
different ways of posting... so it's not a bad programming glitch but a
feature.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:36 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting

them
what can I do?

I have thought of covering the flower beds with netting but don't

know
what type to use. Road bed mattress would allow the plants to grow
through. And so would barbed wire.

Any suggestions?

When they were digging up my lawn, eventually in desperation I put an
electric fenc round it. Worked a treat and got them out of the habit.

BTW the local councils advice was that they are 'only' after worms in
the lawn, so 'all' you have to do is get rid of the worms. When I
pointed out that we actually need the worms they were a little
suprised. To think we actually PAY for these people by way of rates!

AWEM

Old 04-09-2006, 08:53 AM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"cucumber" wrote in message
ps.com...
I don't know much about foxes but I know Google has various limits on
different ways of posting... so it's not a bad programming glitch but a
feature.

As a professional software developer so I can categorically say there is no
such thing as bugs or faults in programs, there are simply "undocumented
features" ;-)

Old 04-09-2006, 03:06 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

Felly sgrifennodd Weatherlawyer :
I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting them
what can I do?

Why not shoot them? AFAIK it's still legal, provided you don't have more
than two dogs with you at the time. Oh, and don't wear a red coat or girlie
hi-leg boots and carry a whip...

Adrian

--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:49 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

Weatherlawyer wrote:
I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting them
what can I do?

I have thought of covering the flower beds with netting but don't know
what type to use. Road bed mattress would allow the plants to grow
through. And so would barbed wire.

Any suggestions?

It's not even my garden I am guerrilla-ing it. I have something like a
tenth of a mile to look after so it could get expensive.

Road mattress (or whatever it is called -a fence lattice of something
like 4 inch squares used to reinforce roads) would just lay on or in
the soil and last a few years -long enough to establish thorny bushes.
Barbed wire would have to be supported off the ground.

Removing either for working on them could be a problem.

We covered our lawn in chicken wire. After 12 months you can't see it, and
nothing can dig.

In our case it was to prevent badgers digging rather than foxes.

--
Brian Wakem
Old 04-09-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

Weatherlawyer wrote:

I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting them
what can I do?

Barbed wire would have to be supported off the ground.

How lovely, a barbed wire garden.

We have badgers & foxes in the field behind our house, and they are
both quite easy to keep out if you set your mind to it. We still have
squirrels in the garden at times.

No doubt you'd like all 3 species wiped out.

At 'The Wink' in Lamorna the badgers used to regularly come into the
bar for a snack around dusk. It was quite a tourist attraction, and
boosted trade considerably.

Suggest you live in a flat with a window box, well away from any
seagulls, pigeons, magpies.... etc.

Graham
Penzance

Old 04-09-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Weatherlawyer wrote:
[...]

Used to be able to buy stuff called 'Renardine'. Bloody foul smell. I
dont know what it did to the foxes but it ****ed me off. Probably
banned now like lots of useful chemicals.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:26 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have the damned things digging in my garden. Short of shooting them
what can I do?

I have thought of covering the flower beds with netting but don't know
what type to use. Road bed mattress would allow the plants to grow
through. And so would barbed wire.

Any suggestions?

It's not even my garden I am guerrilla-ing it. I have something like a
tenth of a mile to look after so it could get expensive.

Road mattress (or whatever it is called -a fence lattice of something
like 4 inch squares used to reinforce roads) would just lay on or in
the soil and last a few years -long enough to establish thorny bushes.
Barbed wire would have to be supported off the ground.

Removing either for working on them could be a problem.

Well several suggestions come to mind as you are such a ****.

1) Check the lunar cycle ( you left it near the bike shed)

2) I have been told that Foxes can't stand the smell of creosote, apparently
it whiffs a tad like the scent that they leave. So that cheap aftershave of
yours-you know Peckham canal by moonlight No seven- could come in handy.

3) Get hold of some big, and I mean Big, cat's droppings. Preferably Lions
or Tigers. I for one would recommend you obtaining this stuff first hand at
your local Longleat..

4) If none of the above works, can I suggest that you stop Howling at the
moon, as they (the foxes) could perceive it as a mating call.

Old 04-09-2006, 07:29 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening
Col Col is offline

Graham Easterling wrote:

No doubt you'd like all 3 species wiped out.

I think you you will find he was after 'control measures',
rather than advice on an extermination programme.

Col

Old 04-09-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

When they were digging up my lawn, eventually in desperation I put an
electric fenc round it. Worked a treat and got them out of the habit.

BTW the local councils advice was that they are 'only' after worms in
the lawn, so 'all' you have to do is get rid of the worms. When I
pointed out that we actually need the worms they were a little
suprised. To think we actually PAY for these people by way of rates!

It's a council flat I live in and the council method of taking care of
the garden was ample supplies of weedkiller around thge edges. This
went on for years and was quite successful except for the docks and
brambles.

I took it over this winter and built up the soil to somethng
approaching useful. I want to get into the soil again over the next few
yearsso the wire must be removable and replacable. I thought three or
four strands in 6 foot hurdles supported above the soil somehow or just
getting that road bed stuff and cutting it into 6 ft by 2 foot pieces
and laying it on the soil.

There are plenty of foxes locally and although I wouldn't dream of
hurting them, seeing the damage they can do to a bed is distressing.
There is nothing I can do about there access.

My problem is they are throwing the soil into the grass and I can't
rake it back without puttting weeds back with it. There is very little
soil to start with and quite frankly I would hurt the bloody things if
I could teach them a lesson like that.

A catapault with corn or something maybe. But they come at night and
they are a lot more sneaky than I.