Old 16-09-2006, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fruit flies

Mainly, I think, because I have a lot of havested fruit and vegetables
in my kitchen - plums, apples, tomatoes, etc - I seem to get more and
more little fruit flies each year.

I wondered what environmentally friendly methods urglers use to keep
levels of these small flies under control at this time of year.

Janet G
Old 16-09-2006, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Galpin wrote:
Mainly, I think, because I have a lot of havested fruit and vegetables
in my kitchen - plums, apples, tomatoes, etc - I seem to get more and
more little fruit flies each year.
I wondered what environmentally friendly methods urglers use to keep
levels of these small flies under control at this time of year.

Find where they breed, usually in decaying fruit/veg. When I returned
from my holidays, as soon as I moved the fruit bowl containing apples
which I had forgotten, the flies all took off. Keep you fruits/vegs
covered and make sure none are damaged/rotten at this time of year
espcially.

Old 16-09-2006, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
I hate flies around food and work
surfaces and won't use insecticide sprays in a food prep area. So, every
morning starts with a rolled up newspaper and some aerobics.

Janet.

Plastic fly swotters are available to buy really cheaply from everywhere
here in France. Strangely I've never noticed them for sale back in the UK.
Very effective and quicker to swot with than a rolled up newspaper since
they are much lighter. House flies make easy targets, but meat flies are a
real problem - they never stay still long enough to be swotted so they have
to be chased around the room while flying - pity I don't play tennis - my
forearm smash has improved no end :-)

--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 16-09-2006, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David (in Normandy) wrote:
Plastic fly swotters are available to buy really cheaply from everywhere
here in France.

What you can get, and which I brought back from France again this year
are plastic curtains. Each of our outside doors has now one and it's
top for flies and bees. Nothing gets through and it's colourful, and
kind.

http://cjoint.com/?jqska61e2t

Old 16-09-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 17:02:42 +0100, David \(in Normandy\) wrote
(in article ):

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
I hate flies around food and work
surfaces and won't use insecticide sprays in a food prep area. So, every
morning starts with a rolled up newspaper and some aerobics.

Janet.

Plastic fly swotters are available to buy really cheaply from everywhere
here in France. Strangely I've never noticed them for sale back in the UK.
Very effective and quicker to swot with than a rolled up newspaper since
they are much lighter.

I agree, we have several of these fly swotters and they are easily available
and only about 69p or 89p AFAIR. Perhaps you don't spend your holidays in the
right shopsg. It's very satisfying to use them - I obviously have a
bloodthirsty soul, and like Janet really hate flies in the kitchen.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 16-09-2006, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Baraclough contains these words:

The message
from Janet Galpin contains these words:

Mainly, I think, because I have a lot of havested fruit and vegetables
in my kitchen - plums, apples, tomatoes, etc - I seem to get more and
more little fruit flies each year.

I wondered what environmentally friendly methods urglers use to keep
levels of these small flies under control at this time of year.

They hang round damp or decomposing stuff more than fresh, ime. I
stash kitchen compost in a bin with a rubber seal round the lid.

Yes, I think this would be a good addition to my composting arrangements

Veg live either in the fridge or the pantry, out of reach to flies. The only
fruit they can reach is what's in the bowl on the table and that changes
so frequently they don't seeem to go for it.

Space is a problem and my habit of lining up windfall apples etc and
trying to use them in strict order, i.e. just before they start to rot,
is probably not helpful. However, I don't do this in the kitchen but in
a kind of out-room.

My fruit flies like to occupy hard edges, e.g. they line up along the
edge of the window and door recesses

Having said all that, for the last week the kitchen has been plagued
withhouseflies and daddy longlegs. I don't mind the DDL's because they
stay on the window out of my way but I hate flies around food and work
surfaces and won't use insecticide sprays in a food prep area. So, every
morning starts with a rolled up newspaper and some aerobics.

I have found my mini-hoover quite effective for sucking them up. It
provides temporary relief.

Janet G
Old 16-09-2006, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
Don't worry about the tennis, being able to fly is much more of a
social asset.
Janet

I really must cut down on the "Red Bull" :-)

Old 16-09-2006, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
[...]

I just hate flies!

Alan

Old 16-09-2006, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "David \(in Normandy\)"
contains these words:

House flies make easy targets, but meat flies are a
real problem - they never stay still long enough to be swotted so they
have
to be chased around the room while flying - pity I don't play tennis -

Don't worry about the tennis, being able to fly is much more of a
social asset.

When I was very small I could fly, oddly enough, it was only at night.

Alan

Janet

Old 16-09-2006, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Why didn't I think of that?

Alan

Janet G

Old 17-09-2006, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Someone told me today of a fly swat that is electrified so that you zap as
soon as you hit the fly.

Yes I was at the receiving end of one last week and it packs a punch. My
grandchildren had a good laugh at my expense as I thought it was a toy
tennis racket. Certainly made me jump so hate to think of the effect on a
small fly.
We tend to get the flies around the compost bins and occasionally in the
house but generally just ignore them as they do no harm.

Old 17-09-2006, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

I hate flies around food and work surfaces and won't use
insecticide sprays in a food prep area. So, every morning
starts with a rolled up newspaper and some aerobics.

Plastic fly swotters are available to buy really cheaply from everywhere
here in France. Strangely I've never noticed them for sale back in the
UK.
Very effective and quicker to swot with than a rolled up newspaper since
they are much lighter.

I agree, we have several of these fly swotters and they are easily
available
and only about 69p or 89p AFAIR. Perhaps you don't spend your holidays in
the
right shopsg. It's very satisfying to use them - I obviously have a
bloodthirsty soul, and like Janet really hate flies in the kitchen.

I just hate flies!

So do I, which is why I leave resident spiders in peace... ;-)

--
AnneJ /\
_/__\_
Old 17-09-2006, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:

we were talking about flies in kitchens.
http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th6a.htm

Nope. Fruit flies.

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th6h.htm

dd&tc

Nematodes to control fruit flies in compost bin? Dani United Kingdom 3 19-05-2011 02:52 PM
Possibly fruit flies indoors - luring & trapping them? shaz likd Gardening 12 02-03-2011 05:34 PM
fruit flies? Bernard Arnest Edible Gardening 7 15-10-2005 02:48 AM
fruit flies? J Fortuna Orchids 6 30-04-2005 05:39 AM
I saved it! but it has fruit flies? Tony Miklos Gardening 3 17-03-2003 04:44 PM