Old 18-09-2006, 06:14 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Default Planning - Pond In Field ?

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres, in a field classified as agricultural
land ? The remainder of the field is to be planted as an orchard
(already approved by the LPA as part of a larger application).

The pond would be a wildlife pond, ie. not ornamental - no fish, no
fountains, no surrounding paving stones, and definitley no dwarf
statues ! It would be surrounded by natural growth and be akin to wild
ponds marked on the OS map of surrounding agricultural land. I am
hoping it would provide a refuge for indigenous wildlife and be more
imaginative use of otherwise very bland land.

I've tried asking my LPA, but all I get is "due to unprecendented
workload we are unable to answer your enquiry at the moment", in
essence meaning that I'll have to make an application to find out. Am
quite happy to pay the £295 application fee if this woudl have a
chance of success, but want to avoid doing so if its a non-starter.

Many thanks for any advice.

is this of any use?
http://handbooks.btcv.org.uk/handboo...t/section/2421

Jenny

Old 18-09-2006, 07:47 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

v useful - thanks Jenny.

re. pond dimensions, 10 x 5 represents the max width * length. and it
wouldn't be rectangular, would shape it to look natural. re. depth,
would vary it , but but no more than 1m at its deepest.

thanks all.

Old 18-09-2006, 08:54 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

GB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

re. pond dimensions, 10 x 5 represents the max width * length. and it
wouldn't be rectangular, would shape it to look natural. re. depth,
would vary it , but but no more than 1m at its deepest.

Just a thought - 1m is plenty deep enough for a child to drown in. I take it
that there are no children/grandchildren around?

no kids. to be honest, i doubt i'd reach anywhere nearer 1m.

Old 18-09-2006, 09:00 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

"GB" wrote in message

Just a thought - 1m is plenty deep enough for a child to drown in. I take

it
that there are no children/grandchildren around?

Face down in 3 inches is enough. I know from experience :-((

Maunday Thursday afternoon 1963 :-((( which ended up :-))))))))) after a lot
of work.

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 18-09-2006, 09:30 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Sep 2006 04:55:52 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

If the cost of making the pond is just the cost of digging it out, I
would spend the £295 on doing that rather than making an application..
If their workload is so great I would doubt if they will be bothered
to pursue you
Old 18-09-2006, 09:50 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On 18 Sep 2006 04:55:52 -0700, "
wrote:

I've tried asking my LPA, but all I get is "due to unprecendented
workload we are unable to answer your enquiry at the moment", in

So either increase their workload or rely on them being too busy to
change it.
A cynical person might think that "too busy" means "we want your cash"

Old 18-09-2006, 10:33 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
GB GB is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

GB wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

re. pond dimensions, 10 x 5 represents the max width * length. and it
wouldn't be rectangular, would shape it to look natural. re. depth,
would vary it , but but no more than 1m at its deepest.

Just a thought - 1m is plenty deep enough for a child to drown in. I take
it
that there are no children/grandchildren around?

no kids. to be honest, i doubt i'd reach anywhere nearer 1m.

And no neighbours' kids likely to wander in? If in doubt, you could warn
them that you are creating a hazard and they should keep their kids out of
your orchard.

Old 19-09-2006, 07:34 AM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

Another planing question....

Try enquiring in a woodworking newsgroup.

HTH.

--
Brian

Old 19-09-2006, 12:42 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

In article , Uncle Marvo
wrote:

Hold on, why don't you make a hole instead. For instance, a hole
which is 10m by 5m. About 1m deep.

Speaking of holes and wandering off-topic, I wanted to erect a
summerhouse in my garden which with its pitched roof was about 1ft
higher than the maximum height allowance (4m) for a garden structure
without putting in a full planning application.

No problem, I told my local council planning department -- I will dig
out the foundations a foot deeper so that the apex of the roof is less
than 4m above the immediately adjoining land.

Tut-tut, not allowed they said. You could in theory excavate down 4m
and start building underground and the height of the building would
still be 4m - even if it was invisible!

In theory their heads are not up the @rses, although they are invisible when
they are.

Old 19-09-2006, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Brian Watson" wrote
wrote
Another planing question....

Try enquiring in a woodworking newsgroup.

Nooo. It's aquaplaning, innit.

--
Sue

Old 19-09-2006, 10:40 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

At 15:38:07 on 18/09/2006, Brian Watson delighted uk.legal by
announcing:

"Cynic" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:13:16 +0100, "Dr Zoidberg"
wrote:

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres,

A one-dimensional pond?

... would be called "a river" surely?

No.

It would be called "a picture of a pond"

I've never seen a one-dimensional picture...