Old 18-09-2006, 12:55 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Default Planning - Pond In Field ?

Hi

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres, in a field classified as agricultural
land ? The remainder of the field is to be planted as an orchard
(already approved by the LPA as part of a larger application).

The pond would be a wildlife pond, ie. not ornamental - no fish, no
fountains, no surrounding paving stones, and definitley no dwarf
statues ! It would be surrounded by natural growth and be akin to wild
ponds marked on the OS map of surrounding agricultural land. I am
hoping it would provide a refuge for indigenous wildlife and be more
imaginative use of otherwise very bland land.

I've tried asking my LPA, but all I get is "due to unprecendented
workload we are unable to answer your enquiry at the moment", in
essence meaning that I'll have to make an application to find out. Am
quite happy to pay the £295 application fee if this woudl have a
chance of success, but want to avoid doing so if its a non-starter.

Many thanks for any advice.

Old 18-09-2006, 01:08 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Is it within a few hundred metres of a building or woodland? If so,
designate it as a fire-fighting reservoir which, IIUC, normally needs no
planning consent. You could possibly get the local fire brigade to
confirm this as they may be more approachable and less busy than the
planning dept.

--
Sue

Old 18-09-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
wrote:

Hi

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres,

A one-dimensional pond?

OR 'owt for a duck?

--
Sue
Old 18-09-2006, 01:29 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:13:16 +0100, "Dr Zoidberg"
wrote:

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres,

A one-dimensional pond?

.... would be called "a river" surely?

--
Cynic

Old 18-09-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres,

A one-dimensional pond?

... would be called "a river" surely?

Nope , that has *some* width and depth as well as length.
A one dimensional pond would be an infinitely thin line of water molecules
--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old 18-09-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
wrote:
Hi

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres,

A one-dimensional pond?

--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

its called a ditch ! plenty of ditched around my way already.....

meant 10m x 5m.

thanks.

Old 18-09-2006, 03:38 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres,

A one-dimensional pond?

... would be called "a river" surely?

No.

It would be called "a picture of a pond" and would not be wildlife-friendly
until rolled into a tube, or composted.
--
Brian

Old 18-09-2006, 03:39 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
wrote:
Hi

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres,

A one-dimensional pond?

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

its called a ditch ! plenty of ditched around my way already.....

meant 10m x 5m.

OK. Now it's TWO dimensional.

What about the third, and which is which?

--
Brian

Old 18-09-2006, 03:41 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dr Zoidberg wrote:
wrote:
Hi

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres,

A one-dimensional pond?

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

its called a ditch ! plenty of ditched around my way already.....

meant 10m x 5m.

OK. Now it's TWO dimensional.

What about the third, and which is which?

I just assumed that the pond was to be 10m diameter round, and 5 m deep.
Otherwise it would be a well.

Old 18-09-2006, 03:56 PM posted to uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

) who wrote this in
, I, Marvo, say :

Hi

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres, in a field classified as agricultural
land ? The remainder of the field is to be planted as an orchard
(already approved by the LPA as part of a larger application).

Disappointingly, I don't have the answer, but I like the idea of
making it a firefighting water reserve.

A friend of mine dug a pond of similar (10x5) size in his garden
with a mini-digger, he never applied for permission. And he was a
solicitor.

My daughter and son-in-law have also dug a huge pond in their garden.
'Mainly' ornamental, but it does have an island for the
birds/Moorhens/Ducks etc to nest. No, planning permission was not
sought.

My friend did likewise. He never invited any wildlife, although there is a
rumour that the aquatic bird stocks in nearby Audley End House rapidy
diminished, coincidentally a large 4x4 made its way from there to his house.

He had a fish in there the size of a small shark too, and claimed that it
must have been due to eggs being trapped in hailstones. Or something.

Old 18-09-2006, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message . com
from "
contains these words:

Hi

Another planing question....

Does anyone have any idea if I would be permitted to dig a small
wildlife pond, ~ 0 x 5 metres, in a field classified as agricultural
land ? The remainder of the field is to be planted as an orchard
(already approved by the LPA as part of a larger application).

The pond would be a wildlife pond, ie. not ornamental - no fish, no
fountains, no surrounding paving stones, and definitley no dwarf
statues ! It would be surrounded by natural growth and be akin to wild
ponds marked on the OS map of surrounding agricultural land. I am
hoping it would provide a refuge for indigenous wildlife and be more
imaginative use of otherwise very bland land.

Pond, what pond?
I think you must be referring to a temporary agricultural irrigation
ditch for the LPA approved orchard. Or possibly, an unfinished land
drain.

It's just a puddle Mr inspector, we've had a lot of rain lately.

Steve

Old 18-09-2006, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:
[...]

I'm sure you do not need planning permission for a pond in a garden, I
don't know about agricultural land, though it seems unlikely. A pause
for thought. Why have all the naff buildings been built since planning
permission came in? Pre WW2 I can think of no really bad buildings. If
anyone knows Newcastle under Lyme just look at No1 London Road, a so
called "executive" block of flats, whoops sorry apartments, looks like
garden sheds on top of toilets, not all sold yet and the building is
already showing black streaks, yuk.