Old 21-09-2006, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tripoid apples

Can anyone recommend pollinators for a 'Jupiter' Triploid apple tree,
please?

Mine had plenty of blossom but only two fruits last year and none this
year. There are crabs not far away by the railway line (Ca 400yds) and
a Howgate Wonder and a Worcester Pearmain also close by (Within
throwing distance). The other nearest trees are young Falstaff and
Elstar, both in their first year of fruiting, about 250yds away.

--
Cheers,
Compo

Old 21-09-2006, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Apologies for the typo in the header!

Cheers,
Compo

Old 21-09-2006, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Compo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone recommend pollinators for a 'Jupiter' Triploid apple tree,
please?

Mine had plenty of blossom but only two fruits last year and none this
year. There are crabs not far away by the railway line (Ca 400yds) and
a Howgate Wonder and a Worcester Pearmain also close by (Within
throwing distance). The other nearest trees are young Falstaff and
Elstar, both in their first year of fruiting, about 250yds away.

--
Cheers,
Compo

Jupiter is in pollination Group D

Here's a link to the webpage of a Fruit nursery offering a large
number of dessert apple varieties. This page is just varieties
with names starting A-D. (not groups A-D) When you select a variety
it will show you its pollination group and the varietie's
characteristics.

You don't need to buy from them of course, but it will provide a
list of possibilities.

Varieties in each pollination group all flower at around the same
time. How close you need to match the groups would depend on how
long the flowers on each tree remain viable - maybe the tree flowers
over a period of a week say - and how long a period is covered by each
group. But obviously the closer the match, the better.

Knowing my luck - and yours of course - in about ten minutes time
another poster will come along, with knowlege of a definite match.

michael adams

Old 21-09-2006, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

oups.com...

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/searchresultscat.aspx

Old 21-09-2006, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Compo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone recommend pollinators for a 'Jupiter' Triploid apple tree,
please?

Mine had plenty of blossom but only two fruits last year and none this
year. There are crabs not far away by the railway line (Ca 400yds) and
a Howgate Wonder and a Worcester Pearmain also close by (Within
throwing distance). The other nearest trees are young Falstaff and
Elstar, both in their first year of fruiting, about 250yds away.

--
Cheers,
Compo

There are five pages of pollination partners for Jupiter starting here

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/sea...aspx?id=JUPITE

michael adams

Old 21-09-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

\snip\
Here's a link to the webpage of a Fruit nursery offering a large
number of dessert apple varieties.

\snip\

Thanks for the webaddy.. I had a look and of course none of the trees
in and around my patch are suitable pollinators. However, it did
recommend a number of varieties that will pollinate and are in stock.

Many thanks,
Compo.

Old 21-09-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael adams wrote:
There are five pages of pollination partners for Jupiter starting here

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/sea...aspx?id=JUPITE

michael adams

There are actually 20 pages! Click on 'next' or 'last' to expand the
search :-) The blurb says that the most suitable are picked out in
BOLD, which rules out many of the more common apple variety.

I shall be asking their advice and buying their recommendations.

Thanks for the tip,
Compo.

Old 21-09-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Compo" wrote in message
oups.com...

michael adams wrote:
There are five pages of pollination partners for Jupiter starting here

http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/sea...aspx?id=JUPITE

michael adams

There are actually 20 pages!

That took you long enough.

As I'd already made three posts on the topic, I didn't think it
really worth the bother.

michael adams

Old 22-09-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael adams wrote:
"Compo" wrote in message
oups.com...

michael adams wrote:
There are five pages of pollination partners for Jupiter starting here
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/sea...aspx?id=JUPITE

michael adams

There are actually 20 pages!

That took you long enough.

No time at all really. I looked as soon as you posted the address for
me. I didn't mention the number of pages because I was looking for a
close pollinator and they number few. I have emailed them to check
availability of an old variety listed as a perfect pollinator for my
Jupiter and await a response.

As I'd already made three posts on the topic, I didn't think it
really worth the bother.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean?

--
Thanks once again for the contact address.
Compo the grateful.

Old 22-09-2006, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Compo" wrote in message
ps.com...

michael adams wrote:
"Compo" wrote in message
oups.com...

michael adams wrote:
There are five pages of pollination partners for Jupiter starting

here
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/sea...aspx?id=JUPITE

michael adams
There are actually 20 pages!

That took you long enough.

No time at all really. I looked as soon as you posted the address for
me. I didn't mention the number of pages because I was looking for a
close pollinator and they number few. I have emailed them to check
availability of an old variety listed as a perfect pollinator for my
Jupiter and await a response.

As I'd already made three posts on the topic, I didn't think it
really worth the bother.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean?

And rather than simply leave it at that, you're intent on putting me
to even more trouble.

I'd already realised that there were more pages after sending the third
post. When I had a final look at the page before clearing it from the
browser. Which is what happened after the second post, when I realised
there was a link to possible matches at the bottom of the single
variety page. So I had to post again.

However I didn't think it worth the bother of posting that further
information because as I've said, I'd already posted three posts in
answer to your query already. And furthermore I'd assumed correctly,
you'd be able to work out for yourself how many pages in total there
were, once you'd clicked on one of the links at the bottom of the
page.

hth

michael adams

Old 22-09-2006, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael adams wrote:
"Compo" wrote in message
ps.com...
michael adams wrote:
"Compo" wrote in message
oups.com...
michael adams wrote:
There are five pages of pollination partners for Jupiter starting here
http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/sea...aspx?id=JUPITE michael adams
There are actually 20 pages!

That took you long enough.

\snip\.

As I'd already made three posts on the topic, I didn't think it
really worth the bother.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean?

And rather than simply leave it at that, you're intent on putting me
to even more trouble.

\snip\
However I didn't think it worth the bother of posting that further
information\snip\ hth

michael adams

Now I see what you mean. There really was no need to post the
asdditional information; I only posted the info that there were more
than five pages to let you know that I had found the stuff ok. There
was no intention on my part to be offensive or to put you to any
trouble at all. Hope this clears up any misunderstanding between us:-)

--
Enjoy the weekend,
Compo - Caithness

Old 23-09-2006, 12:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Compo" wrote in message
ups.com...
--

Enjoy the weekend,
Compo - Caithness

And you. And good luck with the apples.

michael adams

Apples Bill726 Gardening 1 24-02-2003 05:15 AM
Cox's apples sparky United Kingdom 9 14-01-2003 07:54 PM
Disfigured bramley apples. Johnathan United Kingdom 2 17-11-2002 10:28 AM
Family apples (was Herb usage?) Big Al United Kingdom 1 24-10-2002 06:18 PM
Apples again anton United Kingdom 3 22-10-2002 11:44 PM