Old 04-10-2006, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Naff potatoes disposal ?

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Mary
Fisher writes
I haven't a microwave ... tell you, we live under a (very primitive)
stone.

So it's back to pounding boiled potatoes :-)

But some types of potatoes make terrible mash, they have sort of solid
lumps in them. Other varieties mash like a dream.

I have to admit using Smash on top of shepherd's pie as I find it easier
to smooth it across the meat!

Or you can just make the mash a bit wetter than usual. But it's the
bumpy bits that brown best: I roughen the surface with a fork. When I
can't be aced to make mash, I top with overlapping boiled potato slices
instead of mash and trickle some oil over them: this has probably got a
fancy gastro-name.

--
Mike.

All too fancy for me. We just put lumps of onion in the mash which disguises
the lumpy bits of potatoes:-)

Old 04-10-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/06 15:18, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Broadback" wrote in message

digital hearing aids

Sadly Mary I find mine are of little help in the theatre, (the loop
system is poor, to me) films or TV, subtitles are a blessing. One really,
really big plus is bird song, wonderful, let no one tell you there are
not as many birds about, I can never remember hearing so many! :-))

Bird song is no problem, I hear it and even do bird song surveys. I was
assured that the aids are improving all the time, that it would be like
standing on the stage with the actors and that if they weren't good enough
they could be adjusted. I live in hope of all that ... On Sunday we went
to see Humphrey Lyttleton and Acker Bilk, I could hear Humph when I could
see his mouth, I got absolutely nothing of what Bilk croaked. At least it
was that way round :-)

We don't go to films and have no tv but when we did I found subtitles
intrusive and not easy to read.

This is so OT now that others will be irritated, I wouldn't mind
continuing personally.

Sorry, folks,

Mary

No apology needed. At a future date someone will advise on how to rid
digital hearing aids of Greenfly and soil:-)

This sounds remarkably like a Gold Slippers moment..... ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-10-2006, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message

I have great trouble finding a good potato masher. The run of the mill
varieties all seem to have too large holes, and pounding for ages still
leaves lumps. Yuk!! What do you use?

A grandson, who of course knew everything at 17, said that a potato ricer
was the Only Thing so I bought an expensive device from John Lewis. Because
of my proclivity for mashing potatoes with their skins on it wasn't 100%
effecient and caused much use of expletives unsuitable for someone of my
vintage so I reverted to my ancient chrome plated one which was part of a
set we were given as a wedding present*. The chrome is coming off in parts
but it works!

But I can't use it on my beloved Circulon pans so I bought a plastic masher
which wouldn't risk scratching the lining. As you say, the holes are too
large.

So until Spouse makes me a tool like a wooden mallet with the head on
sideways I'll have to boil potatoes in the steel pans :-(

Mary
* in 1960

After many years, I found a perfect masher. I can't remember where I
bought it. It is stainless steel (no good for your Circulon, then, but
posh Circulon is wasted on potato boiling anyway) rock solid, and the
business end looks very like this one (first in the page):

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/potato_ricer.htm

Used with spuds like Queens or Kerr Pinks, it makes perfect fluffy
mash.

When we were kids, we used to make mashed potato with this fellow:

http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/FAFX10970.asp

But it was way too much of a song and dance to dismantle and mash every
time.

My wire masher is up there with my cleaver and my granite mortar and
pestle among my favourite cooking implements :-)

Cat(h)

Old 04-10-2006, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

After many years, I found a perfect masher. I can't remember where I
bought it. It is stainless steel (no good for your Circulon, then, but
posh Circulon is wasted on potato boiling anyway)

Oh no! They cook much qhicker than stanless so cutting down gas use and
they're so easy to wash!.

rock solid, and the
business end looks very like this one (first in the page):

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/potato_ricer.htm

I have an enormous one of those, industrial capacity, which I used for
mixing honey ... it won't fit in any pan I use for potatoes these days.

When we were kids, we used to make mashed potato with this fellow:

http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/FAFX10970.asp

But it was way too much of a song and dance to dismantle and mash every
time.

That's terrifying!

My wire masher is up there with my cleaver and my granite mortar and
pestle among my favourite cooking implements :-)

I have a range of cleavers, small, large, old (very) and new and love them.
My mortar (and its pestle) is a laboratory Wedgewood one. I still think that
my very favourite kitchen tools are very sharp knives and the means to keep
them thus.

I'm determined not to buy any more kitchen gizmos though, what I have work
and there's no point in having more.

Mary

Mary

Old 04-10-2006, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

No apology needed. At a future date someone will advise on how to rid
digital hearing aids of Greenfly and soil:-)

This sounds remarkably like a Gold Slippers moment..... ;-)

?

Mary

Old 04-10-2006, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
Oh no! They cook much qhicker than stanless so cutting down gas use and
they're so easy to wash!.

Fair point - I was merely thinking of the second to none non-stick
surface.

rock solid, and the
business end looks very like this one (first in the page):

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/potato_ricer.htm

I have an enormous one of those, industrial capacity, which I used for
mixing honey ... it won't fit in any pan I use for potatoes these days.

My one is human sized :-)

When we were kids, we used to make mashed potato with this fellow:

http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/FAFX10970.asp

But it was way too much of a song and dance to dismantle and mash every
time.

That's terrifying!

Not, not really.. and the above should read "wash", not "mash". That
Mouli is still in the vast collection of family heirlooms, some place.
I am pretty sure some one of my siblings have appropriated it. It
never breaks down, and is excellent for all manners of vegetable or
fruit mashing. We used to use it to make (large family portion) fruit
jelly, soups, tomato sauces, etc.

My wire masher is up there with my cleaver and my granite mortar and
pestle among my favourite cooking implements :-)

I have a range of cleavers, small, large, old (very) and new and love them.
My mortar (and its pestle) is a laboratory Wedgewood one. I still think that
my very favourite kitchen tools are very sharp knives and the means to keep
them thus.

Hear hear :-)

I'm determined not to buy any more kitchen gizmos though, what I have work
and there's no point in having more.

I make that pledge on a regular basis... then end up drooling and
weak-kneed in some sweet sho... errr.. kitchenware shop :-)

Cat(h)

Old 04-10-2006, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/10/06 16:43, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

No apology needed. At a future date someone will advise on how to rid
digital hearing aids of Greenfly and soil:-)

This sounds remarkably like a Gold Slippers moment..... ;-)

?

You getting garden detritus in hearing aids and Judith gardening in her Gold
Slippers which rapidly turn into not-Gold slippers, or get lost altogether!

Old 04-10-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

Oh, I think the baked potato beats everything. Really, I do. How hard
is
it to wash a potato, prick its skin and stick it in the oven? And the
effortand agony of opening a can of tuna or a packet of grated cheese -
see, that could be allowable - just. But really - buying baked potatoes
is the nadir of instant cookery, surely?

I didn't know you could. My astonishment rating always shoots up when I
see tinned potatoes, and custard. Still, some must like them, if the
demand weren't there they wouldn't be produced.
Mary

I use a 'frozen food delivered to your doorstep' service and they had a new
product last month : potatoes !!!
The world going mad, Jenny

Old 04-10-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote
digital hearing aids
This is so OT now that others will be irritated, I wouldn't mind
continuing personally.

Sorry, folks,
Mary

That's OK Mary :~)
A lot of us are getting older and it's good to be prepared :~)
Jenny

Old 04-10-2006, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

When we were kids, we used to make mashed potato with this fellow:

http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/FAFX10970.asp

But it was way too much of a song and dance to dismantle and mash every
time.

That's terrifying!

Not, not really.. and the above should read "wash", not "mash". That
Mouli is still in the vast collection of family heirlooms, some place.
I am pretty sure some one of my siblings have appropriated it. It
never breaks down, and is excellent for all manners of vegetable or
fruit mashing. We used to use it to make (large family portion) fruit
jelly, soups, tomato sauces, etc.

Good. But I don't want one, thank you. No room. Too complicated for a white
haired old woman ...

I'm determined not to buy any more kitchen gizmos though, what I have
work
and there's no point in having more.

I make that pledge on a regular basis... then end up drooling and
weak-kneed in some sweet sho... errr.. kitchenware shop :-)

SHADDAP!!!!

Hrumph.

Mary

Old 04-10-2006, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/10/06 16:43, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

No apology needed. At a future date someone will advise on how to rid
digital hearing aids of Greenfly and soil:-)

This sounds remarkably like a Gold Slippers moment..... ;-)

?

You getting garden detritus in hearing aids and Judith gardening in her
Gold
Slippers which rapidly turn into not-Gold slippers, or get lost
altogether!

Oh, I missed that nugget!

Mary

Old 04-10-2006, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

No apology needed. At a future date someone will advise on how to rid
digital hearing aids of Greenfly and soil:-)

:-)

John cleans them out with the little pokey cleaner that comes with
the digital hearing aid.

I use my fancy toothpick.flosser for all such probing ... such as the
earpiece in my personal radio. When I can't turn up the volume high enough I
do a de-coke.

Mary

Janet

Old 04-10-2006, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote
digital hearing aids
This is so OT now that others will be irritated, I wouldn't mind
continuing personally.

Sorry, folks,
Mary

That's OK Mary :~)
A lot of us are getting older and it's good to be prepared :~)
Jenny

You'll all get older - with luck. It's better than the alternative I always
say.

Although sometimes I wonder ...

Mary

Old 04-10-2006, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" typed

That's OK Mary :~)
A lot of us are getting older and it's good to be prepared :~)
Jenny

Ummm... How many of us *aren't* getting older?

Do they have a Time Machine I could borrow?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"JennyC" typed

That's OK Mary :~)
A lot of us are getting older and it's good to be prepared :~)
Jenny

Ummm... How many of us *aren't* getting older?

Do they have a Time Machine I could borrow?

I'm not
--
ßôyþëtë

Disposal of lawn moss? Broadback United Kingdom 25 18-03-2010 05:43 PM
Naff or chic? David in Normandy[_6_] United Kingdom 16 14-01-2008 02:23 PM
New House - Naff Lawn! Kevin Smith United Kingdom 5 31-05-2006 12:32 PM
Brush Disposal Beerbuoy Texas 2 01-08-2003 04:04 AM
Safe disposal of defunct HPS lamps? Jonathan Sachs Gardening 0 08-02-2003 05:43 PM