Old 03-10-2006, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Naff potatoes disposal ?

On 3/10/06 16:19, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

We get referred to as the crumblies, the 'rentals, or occasionally, our
owners. And when he really wants to wind me up my son calls me Mater.

Ours sometimes do that too, I quite like it :-)

I'm not so sure about Mama ... but wouldn't let them know or I'd never hear
anything else :-)

I get Mama sometimes but only from my son and pronounced in the Italian
style. Possibly because that's what his father called his Italian mother.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-10-2006, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/10/06 16:21, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
I don't think we've peeled any potatoes for years...
...or done any ironing.
I have never, ever, ironed a potato.
How else do you think they make crisps?

Well, I know because I've done it :-)

But ironing would produce a flatter version ...

Mary
Janet

How come you Wrinklies have taken over this thread, shame on you, you
should be old enough to know better! ;-)

We're making hay while the sun shines, who knows if we'll be here tomorrow

Thud.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Sacha" wrote in message

Is instant mash still made?

Not only made but undergoing a considerable revival and publicity
campaign.
--

I must live under a stone!
Mary

http://www.premierfoods.co.uk/brands/smash.cfm :
Smash is the UK's favourite instant mash potato with enough Smash produced
every year to make 140 million servings.

Jenny "~))

Old 03-10-2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote
Ours call us hippies ... it used to be the Aged Parents but that was when
we were in our thirties! I don't know if being seen as a hippy is an
improvement. The silly thing is that they have no idea about real
hippydom!
Mary

Let them read this......... http://www.hipmarket.com/hippy/glossary.htm
Jenny (aging hippy!)

Old 03-10-2006, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 3/10/06 16:21, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
I don't think we've peeled any potatoes for years...
...or done any ironing.
I have never, ever, ironed a potato.
How else do you think they make crisps?
Well, I know because I've done it :-)

But ironing would produce a flatter version ...

Mary
Janet

How come you Wrinklies have taken over this thread, shame on you, you
should be old enough to know better! ;-)

We're making hay while the sun shines, who knows if we'll be here tomorrow

Thud.

sorry, can you repeat that? Mt hearing has deteriorated with age. Damn,
didn't want to reveal that!

Old 03-10-2006, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote
Ours call us hippies ... it used to be the Aged Parents but that was when
we were in our thirties! I don't know if being seen as a hippy is an
improvement. The silly thing is that they have no idea about real
hippydom!
Mary

Let them read this......... http://www.hipmarket.com/hippy/glossary.htm
Jenny (aging hippy!)

Ah, but that's American hippydom, nothing like British hippies! I know, I
was there ...

Mary

Old 03-10-2006, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Is instant mash still made?

Not only made but undergoing a considerable revival and publicity
campaign.
--

I must live under a stone!
Mary

http://www.premierfoods.co.uk/brands/smash.cfm :
Smash is the UK's favourite instant mash potato

That could be because it's the ONLY imp ...

with enough Smash produced every year to make 140 million servings.

Whatever turns them on.

Of course it might be different now from the Bad Old Days but why? I mean,
mashing potatoes isn't rocket science ...

Mary

Jenny "~))

Old 03-10-2006, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

How come you Wrinklies have taken over this thread, shame on you, you
should be old enough to know better! ;-)

We're making hay while the sun shines, who knows if we'll be here
tomorrow

Thud.

kiss of life

There, that'll teach you to play to the gallery :-)

Mary

Old 03-10-2006, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message

Thud.

sorry, can you repeat that? Mt hearing has deteriorated with age. Damn,
didn't want to reveal that!

I'm being fitted with a pair of digital hearing aids :-)

smugly

Mary

Old 03-10-2006, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Broadback wrote:
Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to
peel the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes
growing where they were planted the previous year is pain enough without
exacerbating the problem.

As Cat says below, it doesn't matter if you get a few springing up, as
they are so easy to pull up. I hope you don't think there's anything
culpable about a non-text-book compost heap: not very many people
actually manage the full sweltering bit, even if they've actually got
enough material to. It all breaks down in the end, and if a few spuds
appear, who's going to complain? It's nettles which show one's not on
top of the job: they really do need to be got out before they take
over.

--
Mike.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

mashing potatoes isn't rocket science ...

I have seen ready-made mashed potato, porridge, omelette, and baked
potato in Marks and Spencer. All you have to do is drive to M and S,
park the car, trail round the aisles, stand in a queue, buy your
ready-made omelette etc, return to the car, load car, drive home, put
the omelette in the microwave and warm it up. What could be more
convenient? :-)

Janet.

Calling a take away?
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 03-10-2006, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message t
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

mashing potatoes isn't rocket science ...

I have seen ready-made mashed potato, porridge, omelette, and baked
potato in Marks and Spencer. All you have to do is drive to M and S,
park the car, trail round the aisles, stand in a queue, buy your
ready-made omelette etc, return to the car, load car, drive home, put
the omelette in the microwave and warm it up. What could be more
convenient? :-)

I haven't a microwave ... tell you, we live under a (very primitive) stone.

So it's back to pounding boiled potatoes :-)

Potatoes of our choice, prepared by hand, with love and to our liking.
Sometimes even grown by us. Not at all convenient but, well, I'm too stuck
in my ways to change.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Mary

Janet.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

I have great trouble finding a good potato masher. The run of the mill
varieties all seem to have too large holes, and pounding for ages still
leaves lumps. Yuk!! What do you use?
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 03-10-2006, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"BoyPete" wrote in message

I have great trouble finding a good potato masher. The run of the mill
varieties all seem to have too large holes, and pounding for ages still
leaves lumps. Yuk!! What do you use?

A grandson, who of course knew everything at 17, said that a potato ricer
was the Only Thing so I bought an expensive device from John Lewis. Because
of my proclivity for mashing potatoes with their skins on it wasn't 100%
effecient and caused much use of expletives unsuitable for someone of my
vintage so I reverted to my ancient chrome plated one which was part of a
set we were given as a wedding present*. The chrome is coming off in parts
but it works!

But I can't use it on my beloved Circulon pans so I bought a plastic masher
which wouldn't risk scratching the lining. As you say, the holes are too
large.

So until Spouse makes me a tool like a wooden mallet with the head on
sideways I'll have to boil potatoes in the steel pans :-(

Mary
* in 1960

Old 03-10-2006, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/10/06 19:37, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

How come you Wrinklies have taken over this thread, shame on you, you
should be old enough to know better! ;-)

We're making hay while the sun shines, who knows if we'll be here
tomorrow

Thud.

kiss of life

There, that'll teach you to play to the gallery :-)

Blech. And more Thud.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Disposal of lawn moss? Broadback United Kingdom 25 18-03-2010 05:43 PM
Naff or chic? David in Normandy[_6_] United Kingdom 16 14-01-2008 02:23 PM
New House - Naff Lawn! Kevin Smith United Kingdom 5 31-05-2006 12:32 PM
Brush Disposal Beerbuoy Texas 2 01-08-2003 04:04 AM
Safe disposal of defunct HPS lamps? Jonathan Sachs Gardening 0 08-02-2003 05:43 PM