Old 02-10-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Naff potatoes disposal ?

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

..
Well scrubbed, the skins are quite edible. For what it's worth, I
always eat the skin of my boiled spuds, even big main season ones.

I don't even peel potatoes to make mash, except at Christmas.

Mary

Cat(h)

Old 02-10-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Cat(h)" writes

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Broadback" wrote in message
Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to
peel the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes growing
where they were planted the previous year is pain enough without
exacerbating the problem.

Don't bother peeling them, boil them whole and serve with a bit of butter.
Delicious!

Hear, hear, or chould it be here, here?

Alan

I thought we'd established that... though I can't quite recall *what*
we'd established.

Hear, hear, as in 'this guy's talking sense, listen to him'
Also, it's 'bated breath' (abated, holding your breath) not 'baited
breath' which always makes me think of an open mouth with a sardine on
the tongue hoping to catch goodness knows what.
--
Kay
Old 02-10-2006, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...

.
Well scrubbed, the skins are quite edible. For what it's worth, I
always eat the skin of my boiled spuds, even big main season ones.

I don't even peel potatoes to make mash, except at Christmas.

Mary

I wouldn't get away with that... though I wouldn't mind it myself :-)

Cat(h)

Old 02-10-2006, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Hear, hear, as in 'this guy's talking sense, listen to him'
Also, it's 'bated breath' (abated, holding your breath) not 'baited
breath' which always makes me think of an open mouth with a sardine on
the tongue hoping to catch goodness knows what.
--
Kay

Thank you for that. Hear hear is my only challenge, I knew not to put
an unfortunate sardine flavoured "i" in bated.
But because of you, I now have very odd images trotting in my brain...

Cat(h)

Old 02-10-2006, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:39:52 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...

.
Well scrubbed, the skins are quite edible. For what it's worth, I
always eat the skin of my boiled spuds, even big main season ones.

I don't even peel potatoes to make mash, except at Christmas.

You have mash for Christmas dinner?

Old 02-10-2006, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Tony wrote:
You have mash for Christmas dinner?

She's foreign ;o)

Old 02-10-2006, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback typed

JennyC wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses
to peel
the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes
growing where
they were planted the previous year is pain enough without exacerbating
the problem.

Fry or boil them in their skins !!
Jenny

Thanks all for your culinary tips, you live and learn, I thought (silly
me) that only "new" potatoes could be treated that way.

I don't think we've peeled any potatoes for years...
....or done any ironing.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
...or done any ironing.

You do the ironing in the microwave? Bet that gets the laundry steaming :-)

Old 02-10-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2/10/06 20:36, in article , "David
in Normandy" wrote:

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
...or done any ironing.

You do the ironing in the microwave? Bet that gets the laundry steaming :-)

You can do some of the ironing on top of the AGA...

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-10-2006, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
The latter is one that always strikes a particularly strong visual emphasis
with me! A kipper hanging on the edge of the lip......eugh.

Its a mouthful of maggots that worries me.

--
regards andyw
Old 03-10-2006, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tony wrote:
You have mash for Christmas dinner?

She's foreign ;o)

We don't eat many potatoes, it has to be a special occasion. On even more
special occasions we have mash. For the ultimate feast - Christmas Dinner -
we have mashed AND roast potatoes. It turns the meal into a feast :-)

Yes, I AM foreign - for five generations I'm pure English. Whatever that is.

But I married a man who had an Irish grandmother, one of our boys married a
Scot, another a Welsh girl, a daughter married a man with Jewish Russian
forebears, one grandson was born in Wales and another grandson has an
Angolan girl friend so the purity (!) is now lost.

HAHAHA!

Mary

Old 03-10-2006, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message

I don't think we've peeled any potatoes for years...
...or done any ironing.

I have never, ever, ironed a potato.

Mary

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I don't think we've peeled any potatoes for years...
...or done any ironing.

I have never, ever, ironed a potato.
Mary

I wonder if that is what waffles are?

David.

Disposal of lawn moss? Broadback United Kingdom 25 18-03-2010 05:43 PM
Naff or chic? David in Normandy[_6_] United Kingdom 16 14-01-2008 02:23 PM
New House - Naff Lawn! Kevin Smith United Kingdom 5 31-05-2006 12:32 PM
Brush Disposal Beerbuoy Texas 2 01-08-2003 04:04 AM
Safe disposal of defunct HPS lamps? Jonathan Sachs Gardening 0 08-02-2003 05:43 PM