Old 15-10-2006, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Default WildLife Sanctuary ideas please.

BAC wrote:
wrote in message

Convention in the past was always "up" to the larger city or Capital.
Although "north" does seem to be more up than south.

That's right, one went 'up to London' regardless of the starting point.

One went up to Cambridge, even from London.

Old 15-10-2006, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

BAC wrote:
wrote in message

Convention in the past was always "up" to the larger city or Capital.
Although "north" does seem to be more up than south.

That's right, one went 'up to London' regardless of the starting point.

One went up to Cambridge, even from London.

Apart from those who were sent down, presumably.

--
Regards
Pat Gardiner

Old 15-10-2006, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Oh No wrote:
BAC wrote:
wrote in message

Convention in the past was always "up" to the larger city or Capital.
Although "north" does seem to be more up than south.

That's right, one went 'up to London' regardless of the starting point.

One went up to Cambridge, even from London.

But not from Birmingham. :-)

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old 16-10-2006, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Quoting from message
posted on 15 Oct 2006 by Old Codger
I would like to add:

Oh No wrote:
BAC wrote:
wrote in message

Convention in the past was always "up" to the larger city or Capital.
Although "north" does seem to be more up than south.

That's right, one went 'up to London' regardless of the starting point.

One went up to Cambridge, even from London.

But not from Birmingham. :-)

I understand that one went *up* to Cambridge from just about
everywhere except Oxford.

--
..ElaineJ. Visit Jones' Pages at http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ejones
..Virtual. Corwen, North Wales; Steam Traction, feature on Fodens;

Old 16-10-2006, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Pat Gardiner wrote:
"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

One went up to Cambridge, even from London.

Apart from those who were sent down, presumably.

Indeed, one had to go up before one could be sent down. And nor was it
necessary to specify, since up implied Oxford or Cambridge on its own.
As the rev Spooner was reported to have said (apocryphally no doubt)

"You have hissed all my mystery lectures. You have tasted two worms.
Pack up your rags and bugs, and leave immediately by the town drain!"

Old 16-10-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture
BAC BAC is offline

"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:05:12 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message

Just down the road from you - Barendrecht.

given she is 6m below sea level shouldn't that be 'up the road'

;-))
Jim Webster

'Down' in this instance means South of me :~))
Jenny

"Up" North "Down" South. A return journey 'home' for us is always
quicker
because it is 'downhill'.

I have to attend a Funeral "Up North" in Birmingham tomorrow. It will

take
longer to get there and use more petrol as it is "Up"

;-))

Mike

Convention in the past was always "up" to the larger city or Capital.
Although "north" does seem to be more up than south.

That's right, one went 'up to London' regardless of the starting point.

I wonder if that is from a London vantage point, because round here no one
would think of saying they were going up to London.
From the SW I think they do

As Angus said, it was a past convention. I suspect it arose during the
golden age of rail travel, when the 'up' line was the line which led to the
main terminus, regardless of either gradient or comparative latitude. On any
English main line connecting to London, therefore, one travelled 'up' to
London. Nowadays, the convention seems to have fallen into disuse.

Old 16-10-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pat Gardiner wrote:
"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

One went up to Cambridge, even from London.

Apart from those who were sent down, presumably.

Indeed, one had to go up before one could be sent down. And nor was it
necessary to specify, since up implied Oxford or Cambridge on its own.
As the rev Spooner was reported to have said (apocryphally no doubt)

"You have hissed all my mystery lectures. You have tasted two worms.
Pack up your rags and bugs, and leave immediately by the town drain!"

Ah! the great man, whose greatest acomplishment was to show that we are all
allowed to be very bad at something.

--
Regards
Pat Gardiner

Old 16-10-2006, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture
BAC BAC is offline

"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pat Gardiner wrote:
"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

One went up to Cambridge, even from London.

Apart from those who were sent down, presumably.

Indeed, one had to go up before one could be sent down. And nor was it
necessary to specify, since up implied Oxford or Cambridge on its own.
As the rev Spooner was reported to have said (apocryphally no doubt)

"You have hissed all my mystery lectures. You have tasted two worms.
Pack up your rags and bugs, and leave immediately by the town drain!"

I wonder what the Rev would have made of the name of Brad Pitt's child by
Angelina Jolie, Shiloh Pitt?

Old 16-10-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

From the SW I think they do

As Angus said, it was a past convention. I suspect it arose during the
golden age of rail travel, when the 'up' line was the line which led to
the
main terminus, regardless of either gradient or comparative latitude. On
any
English main line connecting to London, therefore, one travelled 'up' to
London. Nowadays, the convention seems to have fallen into disuse.

On the line that runs around the Cumbrian coast the traditional designation
on the platform which was southbound was "Preston and Beyond"

Where Beyond covered pretty well all eventualities ;-))

Jim Webster

Old 16-10-2006, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"BAC" wrote in message

"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pat Gardiner wrote:
"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

One went up to Cambridge, even from London.

Apart from those who were sent down, presumably.

Indeed, one had to go up before one could be sent down. And nor was it
necessary to specify, since up implied Oxford or Cambridge on its own.
As the rev Spooner was reported to have said (apocryphally no doubt)

"You have hissed all my mystery lectures. You have tasted two worms.
Pack up your rags and bugs, and leave immediately by the town drain!"

I wonder what the Rev would have made of the name of Brad Pitt's child by
Angelina Jolie, Shiloh Pitt?

I wonder if he ever referred to anyone as a shining wit?

Steve

Old 16-10-2006, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Jim Webster wrote:

On the line that runs around the Cumbrian coast the traditional designation
on the platform which was southbound was "Preston and Beyond"

Where Beyond covered pretty well all eventualities ;-))

That sounds a very wise precaution. :-)

--
Howard Neil
Old 16-10-2006, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture
BAC BAC is offline

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pat Gardiner wrote:
"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

One went up to Cambridge, even from London.

Apart from those who were sent down, presumably.

Indeed, one had to go up before one could be sent down. And nor was it
necessary to specify, since up implied Oxford or Cambridge on its own.
As the rev Spooner was reported to have said (apocryphally no doubt)

"You have hissed all my mystery lectures. You have tasted two worms.
Pack up your rags and bugs, and leave immediately by the town drain!"

I wonder what the Rev would have made of the name of Brad Pitt's child

by
Angelina Jolie, Shiloh Pitt?

I wonder if he ever referred to anyone as a shining wit?

LOL! Frequently, under his breath, I'd wager :-)

Old 16-10-2006, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Convention in the past was always "up" to the larger city or
Capital.
Although "north" does seem to be more up than south.

That's right, one went 'up to London' regardless of the
starting point.

I wonder if that is from a London vantage point, because round
here no one would think of saying they were going up to
London.
From the SW I think they do

I gather it was from a railway operations point. They defined
the 'up' line as the one going towards London and the 'down'
line as the one going away from London. So yes, it's a very
London-centric view of the world.

Of course it breaks down completely when you have to discuss
journeys which don't include London, especially between two
places which are closer to one another that either is to London,
like Edinburgh and Glasgow or York and Manchester.

As far as I'm concerned I go 'down' to anywhere south, 'up' to
anywhere north, and 'over' to somewhere which is neither north
nor south.

Anne

Old 16-10-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:11:56 +0100, "Anne Burgess"
wrote:

Convention in the past was always "up" to the larger city or
Capital.
Although "north" does seem to be more up than south.

That's right, one went 'up to London' regardless of the
starting point.

I wonder if that is from a London vantage point, because round
here no one would think of saying they were going up to
London.
From the SW I think they do

I gather it was from a railway operations point. They defined
the 'up' line as the one going towards London and the 'down'
line as the one going away from London. So yes, it's a very
London-centric view of the world.

Of course it breaks down completely when you have to discuss
journeys which don't include London, especially between two
places which are closer to one another that either is to London,
like Edinburgh and Glasgow or York and Manchester.

As far as I'm concerned I go 'down' to anywhere south, 'up' to
anywhere north, and 'over' to somewhere which is neither north
nor south.

Anne

Probably what most say now. However, I don't seen the need to use the
words up, down or over. Why not just say "I'm going to London"?

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk