Old 16-10-2006, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture
BAC BAC is offline

Default WildLife Sanctuary ideas please.

"Anne Burgess" wrote in message
Convention in the past was always "up" to the larger city or
Capital.
Although "north" does seem to be more up than south.

That's right, one went 'up to London' regardless of the
starting point.

I wonder if that is from a London vantage point, because round
here no one would think of saying they were going up to
London.
From the SW I think they do

I gather it was from a railway operations point. They defined
the 'up' line as the one going towards London and the 'down'
line as the one going away from London. So yes, it's a very
London-centric view of the world.

Of course it breaks down completely when you have to discuss
journeys which don't include London, especially between two
places which are closer to one another that either is to London,
like Edinburgh and Glasgow or York and Manchester.

The railway 'up line' convention was not limited to London. The 'up' line
was (is?) that which led to the primary terminus, wherever that was. The
term originated, I believe, in the North-east of the country, in respect of
mineral trains running between collieries and ports. The lines ran 'down' to
the ports, and 'up' to the collieries.

As far as I'm concerned I go 'down' to anywhere south, 'up' to
anywhere north, and 'over' to somewhere which is neither north
nor south.

I wonder where the convention that North is 'up' came from? Is it from maps,
which usually show North at the top of the sheet?

Old 16-10-2006, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"BAC" wrote

As Angus said, it was a past convention. I suspect it arose during the
golden age of rail travel, when the 'up' line was the line which led to
the
main terminus, regardless of either gradient or comparative latitude. On
any
English main line connecting to London, therefore, one travelled 'up' to
London. Nowadays, the convention seems to have fallen into disuse.

Ah !!
What about people us to say 'I'm going up town......."
Jenny

Old 16-10-2006, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Jim Webster" wrote

On the line that runs around the Cumbrian coast the traditional
designation on the platform which was southbound was "Preston and Beyond"

Where Beyond covered pretty well all eventualities ;-))
Jim Webster

I always loved the 'Hatfield and the North' signs
Up North they have "England and the South" :~)
Jenny

Old 16-10-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

BAC wrote:

I wonder where the convention that North is 'up' came from? Is it
from maps, which usually show North at the top of the sheet?

It refers tro a higher plane, the further north you go, the higher it
gets..

Cheers,

Phil (Aberdeen)

Old 16-10-2006, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Phil Wilson" wrote in message
news
BAC wrote:

I wonder where the convention that North is 'up' came from? Is it
from maps, which usually show North at the top of the sheet?

It refers tro a higher plane, the further north you go, the higher it
gets..

Cheers,

yes, that long slow climb out of the gutter ;-))

Jim Webster

Old 16-10-2006, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"BAC" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pat Gardiner wrote:
"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

One went up to Cambridge, even from London.

Apart from those who were sent down, presumably.

Indeed, one had to go up before one could be sent down. And nor was it
necessary to specify, since up implied Oxford or Cambridge on its own.
As the rev Spooner was reported to have said (apocryphally no doubt)

"You have hissed all my mystery lectures. You have tasted two worms.
Pack up your rags and bugs, and leave immediately by the town drain!"

I wonder what the Rev would have made of the name of Brad Pitt's child

by
Angelina Jolie, Shiloh Pitt?

I wonder if he ever referred to anyone as a shining wit?

LOL! Frequently, under his breath, I'd wager :-)

Reminds me of a joke an old lady once told me: "What's the difference
between an army charger and a brewer's drayhorse?"

One darts into the fray...

Tina

Old 16-10-2006, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture
BAC BAC is offline

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"BAC" wrote in message

"Oh No" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pat Gardiner wrote:
"Oh No" wrote in message
[...]

LOL, like it!

Old 16-10-2006, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture
BAC BAC is offline

BAC wrote:

I wonder where the convention that North is 'up' came from? Is it
from maps, which usually show North at the top of the sheet?

It refers tro a higher plane, the further north you go, the higher it
gets..

The plane in question being a Fokker Tripe-plane, no doubt :-)

Old 16-10-2006, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture
BAC BAC is offline

BAC wrote:

I wonder where the convention that North is 'up' came from? Is it
from maps, which usually show North at the top of the sheet?

It refers tro a higher plane, the further north you go, the higher it
gets..

Cheers,

yes, that long slow climb out of the gutter ;-))

Only to be eaten alive by midges ...

Old 16-10-2006, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:17:34 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Reminds me of a joke an old lady once told me: "What's the difference
between an army charger and a brewer's drayhorse?"

One darts into the fray...

Tina

:-))
--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in uk.business.agriculture)

Old 16-10-2006, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Elaine Jones wrote:
Quoting from message
posted on 15 Oct 2006 by Old Codger
I would like to add:

Oh No wrote:
BAC wrote:
wrote in message
Convention in the past was always "up" to the larger city or Capital.
Although "north" does seem to be more up than south.

That's right, one went 'up to London' regardless of the starting point.
One went up to Cambridge, even from London.

But not from Birmingham. :-)

I understand that one went *up* to Cambridge from just about
everywhere except Oxford.

Only to a particular Institution, I believe.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old 16-10-2006, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 19:32:28 +0100, "BAC"
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

BAC wrote:

I wonder where the convention that North is 'up' came from? Is it
from maps, which usually show North at the top of the sheet?

It refers tro a higher plane, the further north you go, the higher it
gets..

The plane in question being a Fokker Tripe-plane, no doubt :-)

Oh, one of them Fokkers.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Old 17-10-2006, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:45:49 +0100, "Huw"

Hello all.

I have recently acquired a small plot of a few hectares of coastal
(cliff top) land, and should like to maximize it's benefit to
wildlife, in a relatively unmanaged environment.

Countryside surrounding, with non intensive farming locally.

Any hints, tips or ideas via email please.

Mark/Geoff/Pete

**** off trollo!

Old 17-10-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:04:49 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

wrote in message
Hello all.

I have recently acquired a small plot of a few hectares of coastal
(cliff top) land, and should like to maximize it's benefit to
wildlife, in a relatively unmanaged environment.

Leave it alone. Keep people and domestic animals off it as much as is
possible and legal. The wildlife will know what to do with it.

I agree in the most part.

Old 17-10-2006, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:20:51 +0100, "Jim Webster"
wrote:

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Jim Webster"
wrote
They call the relative pimples in Arrochar in Scotland, the "Arrochar
Alps" :-)

there are alps just outside Ulverston which barely warrant being called
hills!
I suspect it derives from the meaning "hill pasture" or 'mountain
pasture'
Jim Webster

Ha - here in Holland our tallest mountain is 110metres above sea level.
They supply oxygen masks for climbers "~)
Jenny (living 6 metres BELOW sea level!)

I believe that the Dutch can suffer from vertigo as they stand on the kerb
looking down onto the road surface ;-))

Usually aided by consumption of some weeds!