Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Default WildLife Sanctuary ideas please.

Hello all.

I have recently acquired a small plot of a few hectares of coastal
(cliff top) land, and should like to maximize it's benefit to
wildlife, in a relatively unmanaged environment.

Countryside surrounding, with non intensive farming locally.

Any hints, tips or ideas via email please.

Mark
Old 09-10-2006, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

wrote in message
Hello all.

I have recently acquired a small plot of a few hectares of coastal
(cliff top) land, and should like to maximize it's benefit to
wildlife, in a relatively unmanaged environment.

Countryside surrounding, with non intensive farming locally.
Any hints, tips or ideas via email please.
Mark

useful sites ??
http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/mid/sites...ifetrust.shtml
http://www.cymruarywe.org/cayw/index/en/551/457
http://www.llgc.org.uk/lp/lp0228.htm
Jenny

Old 09-10-2006, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture
BAC BAC is offline

wrote in message
Hello all.

I have recently acquired a small plot of a few hectares of coastal
(cliff top) land, and should like to maximize it's benefit to
wildlife, in a relatively unmanaged environment.

Countryside surrounding, with non intensive farming locally.

Any hints, tips or ideas via email please.

Would that be Little Marloes Farm in Pembrokeshire, by any chance?

Wherever it is, I'd advise contacting the local Wildlife Trust, who I'm sure
would be only too pleased to give you the benefit of their local knowledge
and expertise.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture
Huw Huw is offline

wrote:
Hello all.

I have recently acquired a small plot of a few hectares of coastal
(cliff top) land, and should like to maximize it's benefit to
wildlife, in a relatively unmanaged environment.

Countryside surrounding, with non intensive farming locally.

Any hints, tips or ideas via email please.

Mark/Geoff/Pete or whatever you call yourself today, try minimal management.
Mostly try not to ****-off your neighbours by changing your name, being
unsociable or being caught on a lie. Respect yourself while being politic
and your neighbours will respect you. Being an arse in your own environment
only has so much positive personal value. It probably backfires badly in the
medium and long term.
Respect local traditions and values and do not impose yours on locals.
Realise that the culture and even the language is probably very different
from your own. If you have young school aged children, do realise that they
will be taught exclusively through the medium of the Welsh language until [I
think] eight years old and you may not have a choice in this over most of
the area bar the very South of Pembrokeshire which is unfortunately very
anglicised. Remember, if you are an incomer, that you are in fact in a
foreign country and try to integrate socially as best you can so as to get
the best out of your stay.

Huw

Old 09-10-2006, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Hi,
If it works now you could try this site
www.nhm.ac.uk/fff/intro.html

Put in your post code and it will give a list of indigenous plants.
unfortunately at present it seems to have gone down, I hope it's only
temporary
regards
Cineman

Old 09-10-2006, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

wrote in message
Hello all.

I have recently acquired a small plot of a few hectares of coastal
(cliff top) land, and should like to maximize it's benefit to
wildlife, in a relatively unmanaged environment.

Leave it alone. Keep people and domestic animals off it as much as is
possible and legal. The wildlife will know what to do with it.

Steve

Old 09-10-2006, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"Huw" wrote in message
[...]

yes, Little England beyond Wales, as the locals still call it. When we were
there last year Welsh wasn't spoken, pretty well because it never really had
been, (since about 1100-1200 or thereabouts)
I think that Pembrokeshire could be the 'prettiest' part of Wales, the scale
is more Human when compared to north Wales which has more grandeur.
It struck me as the difference between the Lake District and big chunks of
the Highlands.

Jim Webster

Old 09-10-2006, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 22:04:49 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

wrote in message
Hello all.

I have recently acquired a small plot of a few hectares of coastal
(cliff top) land, and should like to maximize it's benefit to
wildlife, in a relatively unmanaged environment.

Leave it alone. Keep people and domestic animals off it as much as is
possible and legal. The wildlife will know what to do with it.

Steve

Couldn't agree more!

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk

All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed;
Second, it is violently opposed; and
Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Old 09-10-2006, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

wrote:

wrote in message

I have recently acquired a small plot of a few hectares of coastal
(cliff top) land, and should like to maximize it's benefit to
wildlife, in a relatively unmanaged environment.

Leave it alone. Keep people and domestic animals off it as much as is
possible and legal. The wildlife will know what to do with it.

My feeling is that if you leave it to nature, the most suitable
vegetation will grow all on its own, and the wildlife around there
will appreciate that.
--
Terry Harper
Old 10-10-2006, 06:23 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Terry Harper writes

My feeling is that if you leave it to nature, the most suitable
vegetation will grow all on its own, and the wildlife around there
will appreciate that.

Its unlikely to stay the same. Most probably go to gorse monoculture
which is unlikely to be ideal for most wildlife except at the perimeter.

Nature tends to a monoculture in temperate climes and this is not at all
biodiverse.

--
Oz

Old 10-10-2006, 07:17 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

"shazzbat" wrote in message

wrote in message
Hello all.

I have recently acquired a small plot of a few hectares of coastal
(cliff top) land, and should like to maximize it's benefit to
wildlife, in a relatively unmanaged environment.

Leave it alone. Keep people and domestic animals off it as much as is
possible and legal. The wildlife will know what to do with it.

http://tinyurl.com/mbkbv
provides an interesting take on the same issue

Jim Webster

Old 10-10-2006, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Jim Webster writes

yes, depending on your age, it will stop needing management about the time
you stop being about to give it any. ;-))

Wind and soil being right, it is a good endpoint to aim at for your
successors

I assumed this was on the coast, as in (say) a clifftop field.

Ie well in saltmistspray range.

If planting trees try and find local as-natural-as-possible woodland on
similar soils and copy the species. A purist may well wish to collect
(with landlords permission of course) local tree seeds and grow them on
for planting.

--
Oz

Old 10-10-2006, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture

Thus spake Oz
Jim Webster writes

yes, depending on your age, it will stop needing management about the time
you stop being about to give it any. ;-))

Wind and soil being right, it is a good endpoint to aim at for your
successors

I assumed this was on the coast, as in (say) a clifftop field.

Ie well in saltmistspray range.

If planting trees try and find local as-natural-as-possible woodland on
similar soils and copy the species. A purist may well wish to collect
(with landlords permission of course) local tree seeds and grow them on
for planting.

Of course all of this is tricky. I don't know of any cliff top
woodland.
In fact a lot of Wales is very sparse of trees. However I think this is

largely due to the fact that most of it is grazed, not because there
were no trees in a prehistoric landscape. There are of course trees in
the sheltered valleys. Those that grow on more exposed ground tend to
be
very scrubby, hawthorn and black thorn, normally very stunted and
growing sideways with the prevailing wind. However, I think you could
get round the worst of the weather problem by planting smaller hardier
species as a screen at the edge. One would definitely want the advice
of
an arborist.

Regards

--