Old 11-10-2006, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The "Gardener's Car" very OT at present

On 11/10/06 17:29, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike wrote:

So, what do you use for motoring as 'a gardener'?

Might be an idea to state your acreage here in order that we are not
putting
people down and making them feel inferior.

Mike

I get Harrods to deliver all my gardening things but I don't know what
in as the deliveries go the the back of the gardeners residence.

I thought it would be vulgar to mention the Harrods deliveries ...

It is, but we don't make a fuss about it!(:-)

Alan

Let's discuss Fortnum's instead. Those marzipan fruits of
theirs............yum!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-10-2006, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 11/10/06 17:29, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike wrote:

So, what do you use for motoring as 'a gardener'?

Might be an idea to state your acreage here in order that we are not
putting
people down and making them feel inferior.

Mike

I get Harrods to deliver all my gardening things but I don't know what
in as the deliveries go the the back of the gardeners residence.

I thought it would be vulgar to mention the Harrods deliveries ...

It is, but we don't make a fuss about it!(:-)

Alan

Let's discuss Fortnum's instead. Those marzipan fruits of
theirs............yum!

Never been to Fortnum's, much to careful with my money!(:-)

Alan

Old 11-10-2006, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 11/10/06 17:29, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike wrote:

So, what do you use for motoring as 'a gardener'?

Might be an idea to state your acreage here in order that we are not
putting
people down and making them feel inferior.

Mike

I get Harrods to deliver all my gardening things but I don't know what
in as the deliveries go the the back of the gardeners residence.

I thought it would be vulgar to mention the Harrods deliveries ...

It is, but we don't make a fuss about it!(:-)

Alan

Let's discuss Fortnum's instead. Those marzipan fruits of
theirs............yum!

They are very beautiful but my cook makes ours, using almonds from our
orchard and honey from the apiary.

I say, I didn't know you were that upper class, to have a cook, do you have
a gardener and butler as well?

Alan

Mary

Old 11-10-2006, 11:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I say, I didn't know you were that upper class, to have a cook, do you have
a gardener and butler as well?

It would be very vulgar of one to boast about one's social class.

Janet
Old 12-10-2006, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I say, I didn't know you were that upper class, to have a cook, do you
have
a gardener and butler as well?

It would be very vulgar of one to boast about one's social class.

Janet

As it would be to discuss one's overseas property holdings, acquisitions and
disposals on a gardening newsgroup?

Yes, I see what you mean

Mike

Old 12-10-2006, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I say, I didn't know you were that upper class, to have a cook, do you
have
a gardener and butler as well?

It would be very vulgar of one to boast about one's social class.

Quite. But of course the marzipan fruits are only made by the pastrycook,
the others haven't time for such fripperies.

Mary

Janet

Old 12-10-2006, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message

A VW Polo with a trailer, keeps the car clean and is economical. One
very recent disadvantage local councils are now banning trailers to
their "amenities" centres. Fly tipping, here it come! Daft rules.

This Colonial needs an explanation. What are "amenities" centres?
(Is it a rubbish tip?) And what is "fly tipping"? (Is it illegal
dumping?)

Old 12-10-2006, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/06 23:22, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip
Never been to Fortnum's, much to careful with my money!(:-)

It's worth going to the Food Hall just to look! The mother of an old
boyfriend of mine went there just after the war and asked for bananas - an
unseen commodity during the war. On being told the price, she told the
floorwalker just what to do with them and he replied that he would have been
happy to do her bidding were he not already accommodating a cauliflower and
a bundle of asparagus! ;-)

Old 12-10-2006, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/06 09:19, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I say, I didn't know you were that upper class, to have a cook, do you
have
a gardener and butler as well?

It would be very vulgar of one to boast about one's social class.

Quite. But of course the marzipan fruits are only made by the pastrycook,
the others haven't time for such fripperies.

Sigh.....the one thing I've always wanted! ;-)

Old 12-10-2006, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 12/10/06 09:19, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I say, I didn't know you were that upper class, to have a cook, do you
have
a gardener and butler as well?

It would be very vulgar of one to boast about one's social class.

Quite. But of course the marzipan fruits are only made by the pastrycook,
the others haven't time for such fripperies.

Sigh.....the one thing I've always wanted! ;-)

We have a load of old fripperies stored in the vault which one hardly
ever needs; do let me send you some.

Janet.

Janet

Old 12-10-2006, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/06 09:50, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message

A VW Polo with a trailer, keeps the car clean and is economical. One
very recent disadvantage local councils are now banning trailers to
their "amenities" centres. Fly tipping, here it come! Daft rules.

This Colonial needs an explanation. What are "amenities" centres?
(Is it a rubbish tip?) And what is "fly tipping"? (Is it illegal
dumping?)

Rubbish tips yes but for which some are now charging or as Broadback says,
making all sorts of conditions of entry. This means that 'fly tipping' i.e.
throwing all kinds of rubbish - some of it very large things - into fields
and hedgerows and so on. I don't know the details but I believe there's
some kind of EU directive on the scrapping of cars now which means that
instead of taking them to a crushing plant, people are just abandoning them
any old place and removing any ID marks.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow contains these words:

"Broadback" wrote in message

A VW Polo with a trailer, keeps the car clean and is economical. One
very recent disadvantage local councils are now banning trailers to
their "amenities" centres. Fly tipping, here it come! Daft rules.

This Colonial needs an explanation. What are "amenities" centres?
(Is it a rubbish tip?)

Yes. Most local councils have separate charges and sometimes
licences, for commercial rubbish-contributors Presumably some jobsworth
has decided that towing a trailer is a secret sign of running a
business.

Do they allow drivers of white vans to use the amenities, Broadback?

And what is "fly tipping"? (Is it illegal
dumping?)

Yes.

Janet.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Never been to Fortnum's, much to careful with my money!(:-)

Alan

I trust that if one goes on fly cruises one uses
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...11994125288566

:-))

Mike

Old 12-10-2006, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I say, I didn't know you were that upper class, to have a cook, do
you
have
a gardener and butler as well?

It would be very vulgar of one to boast about one's social class.

Quite. But of course the marzipan fruits are only made by the
pastrycook,
the others haven't time for such fripperies.

Sigh.....the one thing I've always wanted! ;-)

We have a load of old fripperies stored in the vault which one hardly
ever needs; do let me send you some.

I was going to say that ...

Mary

Janet.