Old 14-10-2006, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The "Gardener's Car" very OT at present

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"K" wrote in message

... Which brings me to .. have just been to see "An inconvenient truth"
which was very well worth watching - rather shaking to see so much
evidence all piled up together.

Tell us more ...
Mary

Al Gore's movie about global warming etc;
http://www.twitchfilm.net/archives/006160.html

It's getting good reviews !!
Just think if they'd chosen him instead of Bush..................
Jenny

Old 14-10-2006, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I talk to myself frequently, otherwise I have no idea what I am
doing!(:-)

It's also a good way of having a wonderful conversation :-))

Except that I'm not much good at conversation!(:-(

Aah. More practice with yourself perhaps? Or other than that I find
that my dogs enjoy a good chat. They never think I've been too
frivolous, over the top or downright dumb. :-))

Old 14-10-2006, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/10/06 21:10, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/10/06 09:19, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I say, I didn't know you were that upper class, to have a cook, do
you
have
a gardener and butler as well?

It would be very vulgar of one to boast about one's social class.

Quite. But of course the marzipan fruits are only made by the
pastrycook,
the others haven't time for such fripperies.

Sigh.....the one thing I've always wanted! ;-)

A pastry cook?

That would be a start. But a cook - just a cook. It's never going to
happen but...........

I can cook, take chips out of freezer, put in oven, wait until they change
colour to black, take them out and eat as much as you can without breaking
your teeth!

Alan

Old 14-10-2006, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/10/06 21:10, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/10/06 09:19, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

[...]

Having been brought up in the Hotel trade, I can cook :-))

But not ice a Wedding Cake :-((

7 course for 200? :-))

But chose not to and never have.

Mike

Old 14-10-2006, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/10/06 20:52, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/10/06 21:10, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/10/06 09:19, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

[...]

Amazing how large the gap can be in the interpretation of a word, isn't it?
;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-10-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I talk to myself frequently, otherwise I have no idea what I am
doing!(:-)

It's also a good way of having a wonderful conversation :-))

Except that I'm not much good at conversation!(:-(

Aah. More practice with yourself perhaps? Or other than that I find
that my dogs enjoy a good chat. They never think I've been too
frivolous, over the top or downright dumb. :-))

Ah, THAT'S why people keep dogs! I've often wondered ...

Mary

Old 14-10-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I can cook, take chips out of freezer, put in oven, wait until they

change
colour to black, take them out and eat as much as you can without

breaking
your teeth!

Don't you grow veggies? I hope you treat your crop with more respect
than you do your chippies :-))

Old 14-10-2006, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

Aah. More practice with yourself perhaps? Or other than that I

find
that my dogs enjoy a good chat. They never think I've been too
frivolous, over the top or downright dumb. :-))

Ah, THAT'S why people keep dogs! I've often wondered ...

I grew up with dogs cats and many other pets and I couldn't imagine
life without animals.

The dogs have lots of positives but I think they are far better suited
to life in the country than in the city.

I have been warned by my dogs when there are snakes in the garden,
they are great rabbit hunters, good rat catchers and good companions
on a farm. And did you know that dog poo is actually good for lemon
trees?

Old 15-10-2006, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

Aah. More practice with yourself perhaps? Or other than that I

find
that my dogs enjoy a good chat. They never think I've been too
frivolous, over the top or downright dumb. :-))

Ah, THAT'S why people keep dogs! I've often wondered ...

I grew up with dogs cats and many other pets and I couldn't imagine
life without animals.

The dogs have lots of positives but I think they are far better suited
to life in the country than in the city.

I have been warned by my dogs when there are snakes in the garden,
they are great rabbit hunters, good rat catchers and good companions
on a farm. And did you know that dog poo is actually good for lemon
trees?

No. but I don't grow lemon trees :-)

Mary

Old 15-10-2006, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

And did you know that dog poo is actually good for lemon
trees?

No. but I don't grow lemon trees :-)

It was the only positive garden related thing for urg I could think of
to mention about dogs :-))

Old 15-10-2006, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Defending the compost bin

My Hero was feeding garden delicacies to a cow which was leaning over
the gate looking at us in our veggie garden.

My Hero starts to walk back to where I was and suddenly screams
"Snake!"

My Hero yells "Get back!" and races off to get a shovel.

Snake slithers towards my compost bin as I pick up a metal fence post.
I wait for the snake's head and about 12 inches of body to disappear
into the compost heap so that it can't rear back and strike at me. I
then belt snake with metal fence post and keep belting till it's still
writhing but bloodied and very broken.

My Hero comes back and asks me to tilt the comost bin so that he can
pin closer to the still writhing head. My Hero pins it about 6 inches
behind the head whilst I belt it some more.

Just as well My Hero was there to save me from this snake which would
have ended up in my comost bin where I empty the kitchen waste every
day if he hadn't been so decisive in his actions. This snake is
listed as being 4 times more venomous than a Cobra.

Old 15-10-2006, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/10/06 12:48, in article
[...]

Yikes! I'm glad we live in Devonshire........ ;-) What a narrow escape
but a lucky one, too.

Old 15-10-2006, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I talk to myself frequently, otherwise I have no idea what I am
doing!(:-)

It's also a good way of having a wonderful conversation :-))

Except that I'm not much good at conversation!(:-(

Aah. More practice with yourself perhaps? Or other than that I find
that my dogs enjoy a good chat. They never think I've been too
frivolous, over the top or downright dumb. :-))

Lucky you, if I tried to converse with my cat it always went to sleep!(:-)

Alan