Old 12-10-2006, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The "Gardener's Car" very OT at present

On 12/10/06 20:11, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
old TV sets and refrigerators. As someone commented recently on being
turned
away - "Here comes the woods...". Ridiculous.

To be honest, David, I'm amazed that the French capitulate on this.
They're
not exactly known for embracing ridiculous bureaucracy - I thought that
was our national problem!

I'm not a political animal, but the French do seem to have an unhealthy
affinity for paperwork. It seems to be part of their national psyche. I
don't want to get into a political discussion about France, but the
impression I get is that due to the strength of the unions here, there are
lots of Government employees, or civil servants who's job is simply to act
as a link in a chain of irrelevant paperwork between different official
departments, and there is not the political will to make enough of these
roles redundant. As you say, the French are keen to protest and strike -
usually to protect jobs. They still believe in the 'a job is for life'
philosophy which much of the rest of Europe has realised that is no longer
the case, or at least is not economically viable. The protectionist attitude
is making it increasingly difficult for France to compete in International
trade. Almost every evening the TV news features one or more strikes. It is
reminiscent of 1970's Britain, with endless strikes by British Leyland,
miners, British Steel, British Rail etc.

All I will say is that while the rest of the pension pot has gone down the
tubes in UK, civil servants will not, apparently, be losing theirs. I don't
think anyone would argue that we need civil servants but the feeling seems
to be that the whole thing is too top heavy in that regard, especially in
the NHS, for example.

All I can say is that the "Here come the woods" remark is precisely what
is beginning here and what will continue.

I hasten to add that the remark wasn't made by me. It is not a sentiment I
share. As to whether the person went on to dump his TV sets in the woods I
don't know, of if he was merely expressing his evident frustration at being
turned away from the rubbish point. I have seen little fly-tipping here in
France compared with England, but if officials make it more difficult or
costly for individuals to legitimately dispose of their rubbish the outcome
is predictable.

And again, that is something that has been said here, too.

There are lots of recycling points around here now for bottles, plastics and
cardboard, and we make good use of them, usually taking a big box of plastic
bottles every few weeks while calling for a baguette at the local store.
We compost all organic waste and anything burnable goes onto our fire (we
welcome the free fuel!). Interestingly we notice that we put out only a
quarter of the rubbish for the weekly collection as our French neighbour.

£2k per year. We have no street lighting (absolutely do NOT want it) and
the road surfaces are abysmal in places. Hmmm.
Sacha

We don't have any street lighting here too. I'm glad we don't have any. I
sometimes like to sit outside in the evening, even in the dark, and just
relax and listen to the animal noises. If there is no moon it can be pitch
black here - you can hold your hand up in front of your face and not see it.
Street lights would just be "light pollution" and spoil the atmosphere. Most
of the roads here in France are in excellent condition, even the single
track roads through the middle of nowhere!

Our roads might be bad but our stars are bright and clear and we absolutely
(as a village) do not want street lighting - perish the thought! Nobody
walks around here at night and as the old saying goes "if they do they're up
to no good"! ;-) If we go out here at night, it's either to go some
distance in the car or we walk, taking a torch with us.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-10-2006, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/06 21:10, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 12/10/06 09:19, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

I say, I didn't know you were that upper class, to have a cook, do you
have
a gardener and butler as well?

It would be very vulgar of one to boast about one's social class.

Quite. But of course the marzipan fruits are only made by the pastrycook,
the others haven't time for such fripperies.

Sigh.....the one thing I've always wanted! ;-)

A pastry cook?

That would be a start. But a cook - just a cook. It's never going to
happen but...........

Old 12-10-2006, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

David in Normandy writes
"Sacha" wrote in message

£2k per year. We have no street lighting (absolutely do NOT want it) and
the road surfaces are abysmal in places. Hmmm.

We don't have any street lighting here too. I'm glad we don't have any. I
sometimes like to sit outside in the evening, even in the dark, and just
relax and listen to the animal noises. If there is no moon it can be pitch
black here - you can hold your hand up in front of your face and not see it.
Street lights would just be "light pollution" and spoil the atmosphere.

Being in a town, we of course have street lights, but they are being
replaced by more energy efficient ones which throw less light upwards -
all to the good. Which brings me to .. have just been to see "An
inconvenient truth" which was very well worth watching - rather shaking
to see so much evidence all piled up together.

--
Kay
Old 13-10-2006, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

How irritating. Perhaps the jobsworth thinks that all gardens

must be
tiny although what garden refuse fits into most car boots these

days
isn't much at all..

Here in France, the capital of bureaucracy, it is now necessary to

take
rubbish to a local official first, who makes a list of everything

you want
to discard. You are then issued with an official document to take to

the
local rubbish point where your rubbish is checked against the list.

However,
they don't take lots of items, so people are left wondering what to

do with
old TV sets and refrigerators. As someone commented recently on

being turned
away - "Here comes the woods...". Ridiculous.

I'm gobb smacked! I feel offended when there is a new bloke at my
local tip who doesn't recognise me or my vehicle and who asks for
identification to prove that I live in the area. Mind you I have no
rubbish collection service at all so we have to take all our household
refuse to the tip.

Old 13-10-2006, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Broadback" wrote in message

A VW Polo with a trailer, keeps the car clean and is economical. One
very recent disadvantage local councils are now banning trailers to
their "amenities" centres. Fly tipping, here it come! Daft rules.

This Colonial needs an explanation. What are "amenities" centres?
(Is it a rubbish tip?)

Yep

And what is "fly tipping"? (Is it illegal dumping?)

Yes - as in 'on the fly' = quickly and often at night :~)

Jenny

Bit late with answering the question, but they stopped the white vans by
the simple expediency of putting up low barriers, that 4x4 can only just
scrape (and sometime they do!) under. The other stupidity is that you
have to give name and postcode so they check that you are a rate payer
on that council. The result of this is that some peeps who are 1-2 miles
from this tip have to drive 15/16 miles to their council's one. Very
environmentally friendly is that one.
Old 13-10-2006, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Our roads might be bad but our stars are bright and clear and we
absolutely
(as a village) do not want street lighting - perish the thought! Nobody
walks around here at night and as the old saying goes "if they do they're
up
to no good"! ;-) If we go out here at night, it's either to go some
distance in the car or we walk, taking a torch with us.

Torches are the work of the Devil! They ruin your night vision ...

Mary

Old 13-10-2006, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/10/06 11:42, in article
, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Our roads might be bad but our stars are bright and clear and we
absolutely
(as a village) do not want street lighting - perish the thought! Nobody
walks around here at night and as the old saying goes "if they do they're
up
to no good"! ;-) If we go out here at night, it's either to go some
distance in the car or we walk, taking a torch with us.

Torches are the work of the Devil! They ruin your night vision ...

The ruts, potholes and ditches don't do a lot for your ankles, either. ;-)
At least you can be seen if you briefly switch on a torch when a car comes
towards you, though I must admit we don't do a lot of night wandering. It's
more likely to be beside the log fire, curtains drawn, red wine handy!

Old 13-10-2006, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote
Our cook (the head one) is anything but frivolous but very necessary.

I do feel my head cook, bottle-washer and general housemaid all need a
jolly good talking to about their lax standards - but it's not a good
idea to be seen talking to oneself.

--
Sue

Old 13-10-2006, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Mary Fisher" wrote
Our cook (the head one) is anything but frivolous but very necessary.

I do feel my head cook, bottle-washer and general housemaid all need a
jolly good talking to about their lax standards - but it's not a good idea
to be seen talking to oneself.

I admit that I often close my eyes to the shortcomings of the other staff

Mary

--
Sue

Old 13-10-2006, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Mary Fisher" wrote
Our cook (the head one) is anything but frivolous but very necessary.

I do feel my head cook, bottle-washer and general housemaid all need a
jolly good talking to about their lax standards - but it's not a good idea
to be seen talking to oneself.

Why is that, I talk to myself frequently, otherwise I have no idea what I am
doing!(:-)

The most often one is when standing up from a chair, I ask what on earth am
I standing up for?

Alan

--
Sue

Old 13-10-2006, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I talk to myself frequently, otherwise I have no idea what I am
doing!(:-)

It's also a good way of having a wonderful conversation :-))

Old 14-10-2006, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

... Which brings me to .. have just been to see "An inconvenient truth"
which was very well worth watching - rather shaking to see so much
evidence all piled up together.

Tell us more ...

Mary

--
Kay

Old 14-10-2006, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

"K" wrote in message

... Which brings me to .. have just been to see "An inconvenient truth"
which was very well worth watching - rather shaking to see so much
evidence all piled up together.

Tell us more ...

It's the one Al Gore has done on global warming. Combination of figures
and graphs and photographs eg of melting of ice sheets in Antarctic,
together with comments on presentation of issues as driven by vested
interests. OK, it's not new, we've been told it all. Just very well
presented, and everything together. I do recommend it - It certainly
wasn't boring.

Out of sample of 928 papers in peer-reviewed journals, not one has cast
doubt on global warming, compared with sample of articles in popular
media where 52% suggest there is controversy in the scientific community
as to whether global warming exists as anything other than another minor
natural fluctuation He compares it to campaigns by tobacco industry
back in 50s and 60s when link with lung cancer was becoming evident.

--
Kay