Old 11-10-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wonderful weather

Can't believe my luck, just got back inside after sitting in the sun most of
the afternoon (still in holiday mode!) surrounded by Hedychiums, Cannas,
Tibouchinas, and Cassia corymbosa. It was like being back on holiday and
nearly as warm.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-10-2006, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Can't believe my luck, just got back inside after sitting in the sun most of
the afternoon (still in holiday mode!) surrounded by Hedychiums, Cannas,
Tibouchinas, and Cassia corymbosa. It was like being back on holiday and
nearly as warm.

You are lucky indeed. I could very much see myself sitting pretty next
to a Tibouchinas, which I have never seen. I got attracted by the name,
I find it sweet. Do you grow it outdoors and how old is yours?

Old 11-10-2006, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Can't believe my luck, just got back inside after sitting in the sun most
of
the afternoon (still in holiday mode!) surrounded by Hedychiums, Cannas,
Tibouchinas, and Cassia corymbosa. It was like being back on holiday and
nearly as warm.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

I wish I could say me too but it has been monsoon weather here-nice and warm
so still good growing weather. Tibouchina /Cassia are these evergreen and
what chance would a very optimistic chap in Yorkshire stand with them? :-)

Old 12-10-2006, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Can't believe my luck, just got back inside after sitting in the sun most
of
the afternoon (still in holiday mode!) surrounded by Hedychiums, Cannas,
Tibouchinas, and Cassia corymbosa. It was like being back on holiday and
nearly as warm.

You are lucky indeed. I could very much see myself sitting pretty next
to a Tibouchinas, which I have never seen. I got attracted by the name,
I find it sweet. Do you grow it outdoors and how old is yours?

Mine is in flower ATM:
http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/Plant...006October.htm

It's in a big pot which sits outside in summer.
I have to prune it before bringing it into the GH for the winter or it would
get to big !!

Jenny

Old 12-10-2006, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Can't believe my luck, just got back inside after sitting in the sun

most of
the afternoon (still in holiday mode!) surrounded by Hedychiums, Cannas,
Tibouchinas, and Cassia corymbosa. It was like being back on holiday and
nearly as warm.

You are lucky indeed. I could very much see myself sitting pretty next
to a Tibouchinas, which I have never seen. I got attracted by the name,
I find it sweet. Do you grow it outdoors and how old is yours?

My outdoor plant is about 17 years old but you would never guess as it is
killed to the ground each year and returns in spring, if you have a cold
spring it can be a bit late to give flowers but they have great foliage. I
also keep a number in pots to guarantee flowers.

Old 12-10-2006, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Can't believe my luck, just got back inside after sitting in the sun

most
of
the afternoon (still in holiday mode!) surrounded by Hedychiums, Cannas,
Tibouchinas, and Cassia corymbosa. It was like being back on holiday and
nearly as warm.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

I wish I could say me too but it has been monsoon weather here-nice and

warm
so still good growing weather. Tibouchina /Cassia are these evergreen and
what chance would a very optimistic chap in Yorkshire stand with them? :-)

You may possibly get away with Tibouchina against a hot wall with a loose
mulch but are unlikely to see flowers. Not sure about the cassia (senna) as
the form I have now is a lot hardier than its predecessor and kept its
leaves last winter and has grown huge.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/10/06 09:18, in article , "Charlie
Pridham" wrote:

[...]

We have to move Tibouchina indoors in the winter and I've lost it - once -
in a Jersey garden. Cassia corymbosa didn't do well with us but it wasn't
against a wall and again I've seen it grown to great effect on a Jersey wall
but lost in a rare frost. But I think it's the T.multiflora we have atm not
the T. urvilleana, which might make a difference?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-10-2006, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pridham" wrote:

[...]

Thinking of purple flowers, I heard from David P the other day that his
Hardenbergia violacea is going great guns and threatening to take over half
his neighbourhood. I'm very envious as we can only grow that indoors,
though I'm tempted to persuade Ray to try it against the house wall next
year. There's also a bushy pink form that I'd like to try, though the
colour is nothing like so good, IMO.

Old 12-10-2006, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pridham" wrote:

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
Can't believe my luck, just got back inside after sitting in the sun

most
of
the afternoon (still in holiday mode!) surrounded by Hedychiums,

Cannas,
Tibouchinas, and Cassia corymbosa. It was like being back on holiday

and
nearly as warm.

I wish I could say me too but it has been monsoon weather here-nice and

warm
so still good growing weather. Tibouchina /Cassia are these evergreen

and
what chance would a very optimistic chap in Yorkshire stand with them?

:-)

[...]

That's a definite no no for me as well, I find those tender plants that are
spring flowering to be a lot harder to grow than those later flowering.
not so sunny here today but very mild. Was expecting to get on with clearing
up the garden but its all look great at the moment so I shall just have to
continue to sit in it!

Old 12-10-2006, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

Can't believe my luck, just got back inside after sitting in the sun

most of
the afternoon (still in holiday mode!) surrounded by Hedychiums,

Cannas,
Tibouchinas, and Cassia corymbosa. It was like being back on holiday

and
nearly as warm.

It reached 30 degrees here today and it's still only Spring. This is
the first year that I can remember the ground being so dry that the
deciduous trees need watering before they've even burst into leaf.

If I hear one more American politician deny that Global warming is in
full swing, I think I'll scream.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow contains these words:

It reached 30 degrees here today and it's still only Spring. This is
the first year that I can remember the ground being so dry that the
deciduous trees need watering before they've even burst into leaf.

That doesn't bode well for an Australian summer :-(.

Janet.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
My outdoor plant is about 17 years old but you would never guess as it is
killed to the ground each year and returns in spring, if you have a cold
spring it can be a bit late to give flowers but they have great foliage. I
also keep a number in pots to guarantee flowers.

That's it, I've decided this is to be my next baby. I'll keep her in a
pot - there's always room for pots. I sadly have no ground room anymore.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:
| "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
|

| I wish I could say me too but it has been monsoon weather here-nice and
| warm
| so still good growing weather. Tibouchina /Cassia are these evergreen and
| what chance would a very optimistic chap in Yorkshire stand with them? :-)
|
| You may possibly get away with Tibouchina against a hot wall with a loose
| mulch but are unlikely to see flowers. Not sure about the cassia (senna) as
| the form I have now is a lot hardier than its predecessor and kept its
| leaves last winter and has grown huge.

My experience is that Tibouchina doesn't LIKE hot weather - it seems
to like days of 15-25 Celsius and a fair amount of rain. I suspect
that it may be a montaine plant. he will have no problems with not
getting flowers - mine is flowering vigorously outside, as it did up
to June and has done since August (seriously).

I doubt very much, however, that it would take a Yorkshire winter
outside.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-10-2006, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
from "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow contains these words:

It reached 30 degrees here today and it's still only Spring. This

is
the first year that I can remember the ground being so dry that

the
deciduous trees need watering before they've even burst into leaf.

That doesn't bode well for an Australian summer :-(.

No. About a third of the wheat crop around the country has already
failed and a relative who lives in an area which is not yet considered
by the government to be overly drought affected has lost all their
wheat, oats and barley crops and have already had to start feeding out
their reserved wheat to the sheep. We're trying to get in somehay as
we know the price is going to skyrocket. 6 years of drought now :-((

What a Wonderful Year Sue da Nimm United Kingdom 19 18-11-2003 11:42 AM
lots of rain and the wonderful smell of damp leaves madgardener Gardening 2 06-11-2003 11:02 PM
Wonderful news madgardener Gardening 1 20-07-2003 04:32 PM
A wonderful little old lady gardener and a long ramble......................... madgard Gardening 5 24-02-2003 06:40 AM
A wonderful little old lady gardener and a long Pam Gardening 0 19-02-2003 02:15 PM